Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Tenants..

Options
  • 30-09-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking after a house for my uncle. I let it for him and the tenants signed a lease and an inventory list. Every month they have problems. The most recent is the dishwashers leaking and the boiler is not coming on. Thing is , the boiler was serviced this time last year and was perfect when they moved in. Likewise with the dishwasher.
    Recently in my apartment which I'm renting, the fridge freezer was leaking as well as the sink so I rang the management agency who I rent from and was told I'd be liable for the repair costs as when I moved in the problems were not there. I was pretty pissed off as I presumed I'd be covered under the wear and tear line but was told not so. Anyway now I'm thinking why the hell should I pay(the uncle ultimately) to fix these troublesome tenants problems. Shouldnt I just tell them they got the dishwasher in perfect condition and also the boiler so therefore its their problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Has there been any sign of physical damage to either the dishwasher or the boiler? I found it impropable that tenants would intentionally set about to damage a boiler. If not, then you are liable for the unkeep of said items. And rightfully so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

jetlagged wrote: »
    Recently in my apartment which I'm renting, the fridge freezer was leaking as well as the sink so I rang the management agency who I rent from and was told I'd be liable for the repair costs as when I moved in the problems were not there. I was pretty pissed off as I presumed I'd be covered under the wear and tear line but was told not so. Anyway now I'm thinking why the hell should I pay(the uncle ultimately) to fix these troublesome tenants problems. Shouldnt I just tell them they got the dishwasher in perfect condition and also the boiler so therefore its their problem?
    The owner of the property is responsible for the upkeep of the property and the contents which were present when the property was rented.

I assume the tenants did not directly damage the boiler, as I assume you did not damage the fridge or sink in your rented property. In both cases it's probably a combination of poor quality appliances/workmanship and wear/tear. If there's evidence of deliberate damage or carelessness, that's a different story.

Your letting agent has treated you in an unreasonable manner, but that's no reason to treat your uncle's tenants in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Your tenants have done nothing wrong and are completely correct in telling you there are problems and it is your responsibility to fix them (or your uncle).

Boilers are known to break down and here's another reason you should get it done. If the boiler cuased any damage to the house e.g. went on fire etc. your insurance company would not pay out as the boiler was due a service.

I know it's hassle for you to look after your uncle's property, but you signed up to it so I'm afraid you are responsible.

Your management company are running rings around you and would have to fix the problems in your apartment/house - threaten them with legal action and see how fast they move for you..

Advertisement