Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stations of the Dart Pub Crawl

Options
  • 30-09-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Have some cousins coming over from Engerland next month for a long weekend and want to do something different with them on the saturday (other than drinking in the one pub for the whole day) and was thinking of doing a southside stations of the dart pub crawl.
    Only problem is that I'm a northsider! :)
    I'm sure there's a website out there somewhere with a map and list of pubs but I can't find it. If anyone knows of one can they pass it on or if you want to list your own preferences for each stop that'd be cool too.

Main reason for a map and a list of pubs is in case I lose any of my cousins!

Cheers,
    sw
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Ah yes, did a DART pub-crawl one Sat. some years back - great craic as I recall (or what I recall of it !)

Met up at Tara St., had a brew in Kennedys on the corner and then took it from there - didn't stop at EVERY station, but did all of the obvious ones.

Booterstown for The PunchBowl or Gleesons - mind that busy Rock Road !
    Blackrock Main St. has a slew of places to choose from - Seapoint (Purty Kitchen / Loft / whatever it's called now), lots of choices in DL within spitting distance of the station, Finnegans in Dalkey you can literally fall into from the train, etc. etc.

I can think of a lot worse ways of spending a day ! You even get enforced sobering up periods when you mis-time your arrival at the station and have to wait up to 20 mins. for the next one. As I recall, the main pressure when that happened was strictly on the bladder !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dalkey is just one big road of pubs, great for a crawl on its own, a fair few restaurants & takeaways too. All very close together and near the station.
    Blackrock is similar, but dun laoghaire has more of a walk to and between pubs from the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

jrar wrote: »
    Seapoint (Purty Kitchen / Loft / whatever it's called now),

You'd want to get off at Salthill & Monkstown for the Purty, it's ages away from Seapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

What about Breffnies, is that not just up from the seapoint station? or is that the blackrock station.

Sean_K wrote: »
    You'd want to get off at Salthill & Monkstown for the Purty, it's ages away from Seapoint.

Quite correct, that's the one I actually meant - as a Dubliner now living in Kildare, and never having been a big DART user at any stage, I'd forgotten about the Salthill station's name etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

What about Breffnies, is that not just up from the seapoint station? or is that the blackrock station.

its on blackrock main street, and the best pub in blackrock imo

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

Thanks for all your help and ideas, Peeps,
    I've come up with the following itinerary based on your ideas for the crawl. It'll be next saturday hence the oktoberfest part (and we have to fit in the engerland game as well at 5.15!). Should be fun!
    slan,
    sw

Station - Pub
    Tara Street- Mulligans, Poolbeg Street.
    Dalkey - Finnegans, 2 Sorento Road, Dalkey
    Dun Laoghaire- any!, George’s Street Upper.
    Salthill & Monkstown- Purty Kitchen, Old Dun Leary Road.
    Blackrock - The Breffeni, Main Street, Blackrock.
    Blackrock - The Wicked Wolf (if we miss the train!)
    Booterstown- Gleesons, Booterestown Avenue.
    Sandymount- Ryans Sandymount House,
    Landsdowne Road - Beggars Bush (bit of a walk ?).
    Grand Canal Dock - Becky Morgans (Maybe)
    Tara Street - Kennedy’s.

Georges Dock (10 min. walk) - Paulaner Dublin Oktoberfest!

Quick suggestion - skip Lansdowne Road stop cos it's a long way tot he Beggars from there - instead use Grand Canal Dock stop for Slatterys of Grand Canal St. preceded by the Beggars up the road - that way you get 2 good pubs for half the stops (less re-queuing for next DART etc. !)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Advice (Assuming you live nowhere near Bray), start at Bray and work your way towards town.
    Don't want to miss the last Dart back, and have to pay €40 for a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Anyone done a Northside stretch? I'd be curious about Kilbarrack, Howth Junction and Bayside.

Or Sutton which if I'm not mistaken doesn't have a pub, unless you take a long stroll to Baldoyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

For Completeness:

Clontarf Road - Barcode in Westwood. Close

Killester - The Beachcomber. Close

Harmo - the brookwood Inn (could be called something else now). Close enough.

Kilbarrack would have the foxhound in Greendale SC on the coast side and Madigan's of Kilbarrack SC on the Far Side.

Howth Junction - closest pub would be (well technically i reckon it my be the Foxhound back in Kilbarrack, but the closest other pub is the Donaghmede Inn at Donaghmede SC. Wouldn't be going out of my way to go there.

Bayside's closest would be the Racecourse Inn on the Baldoyle side and The Bayside Inn on the Bayside side - both 5-10 minutes walk.

Suttton staion's closest is the Marine Hotel bar at sutton cross.

Howth has the bloody stream under the station.

If i was doing it i'd go to the Beachcomber and then head straight to Howth - do the Bloody Stream, Findlater, The waterside, the pier house, abbey tavern, cock tavern, Kruger's/Top house and if you're still thirsty catch the bus up to The Summit.

Advertisement