Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last day email..

Options
  • 30-09-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hey folks ..

have got a new job .. and i want to write a good goodbye email ..

1st of a resume of my current place :

a few months ago they decide to move a lot of the IT jobs to Manilla
    people start leaving ..
    people lose motivation..
    some (in fairness maybe 1 or 2) were "asked to leave"
    Company is waiting for people to leave rather then fire them as they have to pay us off ...

Pay here is not great ... (we are in Barcelona)

So my new job has a good deal better money .. anyway
    was thinking of writing the usual goodbye email .. but want to
    add something like " anway it's been great working here but i figured id go for a paying job ... " ...

something "subtle" (if you'd call that subtle)
    I know there are great examples out there .. but i don't wanna burn any bridges ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If subtle means what Pighead thinks it means then you could write sometime like "Fcuk you and your crummy two bit job. Burn in hell. The End. jackdaw"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

jackdaw wrote: »
    So my new job has a good deal better money .. anyway
    was thinking of writing the usual goodbye email .. but want to
    add something like " anway it's been great working here but i figured id go for a paying job ... " ...

I know there are great examples out there .. but i don't wanna burn any bridges ..

Don't bother sticking in anything cheeky. It may come back to bite you in the future when you need a reference. On the other hand nobody's going to come up to you in a year's time and say "Hey that email you sent was hilarious!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Eat shi-t and die fuc-kers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

hey no need to move it from AH .. as it's not a serious topic ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Tbh I wouldn't bother writing a goodbye e-mail - they are bit unprofessional - and it's definitely a bad idea to burn bridges, and your e-mail may do just that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No matter how subtle you write, they'll see Pigheads reply.

Say "thanks for the fun, here's my email, bye", or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

If you dont want to burn any bridges then dont bother trying to subtly call them a shower of c u next tuesdays.

If you want to write a last day email just do the usual and thank everyone you worked with and wish them all the best in their future while quietly in your own mind say how rubbish the place really was. No need to be subtle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

but want to

What is the point of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Insert an image of a glistening erect ebony cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    If you dont want to burn any bridges then dont bother trying to subtly call them a shower of c u next tuesdays.

If you want to write a last day email just do the usual and thank everyone you worked with and wish them all the best in their future while quietly in your own mind say how rubbish the place really was. No need to be subtle there.

No .. The people i really liked .. it was the company salary and way of doing things i didn't ... it would be just a small dig at the company .. ok so management will be insulted .. but not my peers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

No .. The people i really liked .. it was the company salary and way of doing things i didn't ... it would be just a small dig at the company .. ok so management will be insulted .. but not my peers..

Drop it - move on - it's not worth the hassle and possible repurcussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You think you're doing the right thing - but you're not. Honestly, you're just going to look like a difficult, immature person.

I appreciate your employer was a dick, but don't lower yourself to their level. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I still dont see the point of it.
    Will it make management change policies? No.
    Will it make your former peers think, Hey thats so funny that the shítness of the company is being pointed out"? No
    Will it make management think that your a clever buck for subtly pointing out you dont like the wages/policies? No
    Will it make management think that you are being an árse? Yes

You never know when you'll need them for a reference or something in the future so as I said, if you dont want to burn any bridges dont bother trying to have a dig at them. A dig is a dig no matter how subtle and it might reflect badly on you in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Maybe some along the lines of below?

So all its time to say good bye
    How the time has flown
    I even remember my first day
    Team I have worked with have been brilliant and would like to thank all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Don't bother. These kind of petty e-mails are not worth it. You might feel good about yourself for five minutes but afterwards long after you might forgotten about it there might still be a few people spinning an exaggerated tale about the e-mail you sent. A former co-worker had a great story he used to tell about Mr. X whom he worked with in Company Y who went around suggesting that his boss had been sleeping her way to the top on his last day. While that's obviously a good few steps above a snide e-mail, it still made for a great coffee time story (at another company) complete with names, dates, etc nearly five years later.

Just move on. Most people will probably know exactly why you're leaving and wish they were doing the same.

Advertisement