Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absent from work because of sick cat

Options
  • 30-09-2008 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Ok so a woman I work with couldnt come in for most of yday as her cat was sick and had to go to the vet.

She is out again today because the cat cannot be left at home due to its sickness.

Am I the only in thinking this is taking the piss?

We have no management in Ireland all in Europe, so she gets away with saying she is sick when reality there is nothing wrong at all with her.

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

unregged wrote: »
    Ok so a woman I work with couldnt come in for most of yday as her cat was sick and had to go to the vet.

She is out again today because the cat cannot be left at home due to its sickness.

Am I the only in thinking this is taking the piss?

We have no management in Ireland all in Europe, so she gets away with saying she is sick when reality there is nothing wrong at all with her.

:mad:

That would be unpaid leave or Holidays, not Sick days as the employer is not under obligation to pay for Cat sick days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Cats are people to and deserve our respect. Its people like you giving the rest of us a bad name :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Varkov wrote: »
    Cats are people to and deserve our respect. Its people like you giving the rest of us a bad name :mad:

My second cousin gets sick and its not my employers problem. Put the frikkin cat in a cattery until its better ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Varkov wrote: »
    Please tell me your jokeing(cats are people too)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

craichoe wrote: »
    My second cousin gets sick and its not my employers problem. Put the frikkin cat in a cattery until its better ffs.
    What if her child was sick? I know, cats/pets aren't the same as children, but neither can look after themselves if they're really sick.

I agree, she should take unpaid leave rather than her own sick days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What if her child was sick? I know, cats/pets aren't the same as children, but neither can look after themselves if they're really sick.

I agree, she should take unpaid leave rather than her own sick days though.

Force Majeur
    will cover if a child is sick. I have pets as well, but I wouldn't dream of calling in sick if I had to bring them to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Youre only allowed 3 days force majure in any 1 year period and 5 days in any 3 year period. That so does not cover the amount of days needed to be taken for sick kids,,,,,if i have to take a day off for the kids id take it as hol days. The cat now, dont know, as long as shes taking it as holiday days suppose what difference does it make??

Redpunto wrote: »
    The cat now, dont know, as long as shes taking it as holiday days suppose what difference does it make??

I think the point of this thread is that she is taking it off as sick leave. If she was taking it as annual leave, then I don't think there would be a thread in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've taken days off to bring my cat/cats to the vet before. But it was usually in an emergency and I wasn't paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

What type of job is it? Can she work from home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How much notice has to be given though for holidays or unpaid leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Taking time off to go to the vet is Ok so long as its either unpaid or the extra hours are made up during the week.

If she was really bothered about the cat she would go to work and splash the cash to leave the moggy with the vet for overnight observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dudess wrote: »
    How much notice has to be given though for holidays or unpaid leave?

That all depends on your boss really - here is the relevant part from citizensinformation.ie
    Taking annual leave

It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I friggin hate cats. annoying little feckers. I have to say i worry about people that genuinely take time off from work to look after a sick cat!!! How could she think that this is an acceptable work practice? does she refer to her cat as if it is her 'baby'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sligo 2008

y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sligo 2008

You should call in to work 2morr and bring your dog to the vet see how she feels then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Yeah you should wait until things are really busy then ring in sick saying your budgie has a bit of a cough.

Advertisement