Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's failure to see doctor puts lives at risk, Contepomi warns

Options
  • 30-09-2008 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

The real Doctor Phil ... Felipe Contepomi ... in today's Irish Times. Well worth a read.

Especially this bit ... "Dr Contepomi said he wanted to promote better health among men because he had seen first-hand the effects of those who leave it too late to get help."

And this bit ... "Recent figures compiled by the CSO found that men were on average living almost five years less than women, although the gap is closing"

And this bit has me intrigued ... "The unwillingness of men to take action when they are ill will be addressed in a National Men's Policy and Action Plan which has been seven years in the planning and is due to be published by the Department of Health and Children later this year."

Linkeh -> http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2008/0930/1222719690350.html

Enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Seven years planning is a bit depressing, but how cool would it be if contepomi was your doctor???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

... how cool would it be if contepomi was your doctor???

Pretty cool ... if I can overcome my instinct to drop the shoulder and land him like a roll of carpet :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It's really just the front line backing up what people already know. The hope we have hear is that a person in Contepomi's position can possibly make a few people think twice before writing off that trip to the doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

I am one of those men that failed to see the doctor in time. I felt a small lump under the skin, on my thigh. I thought it might go away, but it got bigger, and bigger.

My wife noticed it and screamed "you are going to the doctor with that", I said "yes dear" and put it off for another few weeks. When I did go to the doctor he said "it is nothing to worry about, but we should get it removed".

When it was removed it was 7.5cm and after the biopsy results I found out that I have cancer. I have since spent the past 10 months doing operations, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

If I had gone sooner it would not have been as bad, I would have a better chance of survival.

I am 42, I have a wife and two daughters. I made a big mistake by not going to see my GP.

If you have something wrong with you, please go to the doctor. It is too late for me to gain from knowing this lesson, but it might not be too late for you. I will have to die with the knowledge that I could have gone sooner, my wife and my daughters will have to live with the consequences.

Advertisement