Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK advice please.....

Options
  • 30-09-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of upping sticks and fecking off to the UK on my ownsome soon as I've had immensely depressing 5 months without a job bar 2 weeks. Everyone else I know was on the j1, ozzing it up or up to some hi jinks that my unemployment prevented me from doing. There's nothing happening here for now so why the hell not!!

So I'm looking at Manchester and Newcastle for the most part. Now I would be looking at the scouse scene out of the corner of my and the little bit of Gaelic blood in me is crying to make Cardiff, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow too at some point.

Can anyone give me a heads up on sites for jobs and accommodation off the bat? Anything I've googled has turned out to be spamalot so far. Any other recommended resources or general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ultimately my intentions are just fly/ferry over, hostel until a gaff/job scenario is sorted. If it goes pear-shaped flights are reasonable anyway.

Cheers in advance,
    Richie

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

do you know anyone in any of those cities, where you could use their address as a base or contact, then go over if you get a few interviews lined up?
    I'm considering the same, but don't know if the UK at the moment is any better than here...i know the sterling would be alright though....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sterling has got worse against the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

BarryCreed wrote: »
    do you know anyone in any of those cities, where you could use their address as a base or contact, then go over if you get a few interviews lined up?
    I'm considering the same, but don't know if the UK at the moment is any better than here...i know the sterling would be alright though....?

I have no contacts as of yet, only family or friends in the UK are in Watford and a lot older than me. For now it's a case of sending off CV's and checking out accommodation both online. Trying to get my research done properly and concisely and move on from there. If things didn't suit me I'd not even bother flying over, same way as if it doesn't work out over there I'm not light years from home so it's not a big gamble either.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Hey Coillcam,
    I'm in Glasgow. What kind of work do you do?

The best jobs site for Scotland is www.s1jobs.com
    You can also apply for jobs via Job Centre Plus (just Google it)

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to advise
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

kittex wrote: »
    Hey Coillcam,
    I'm in Glasgow. What kind of work do you do?

The best jobs site for Scotland is www.s1jobs.com
    You can also apply for jobs via Job Centre Plus (just Google it)

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to advise
    :)

Hi Kittex.

I'm a college dropout with no real qualifications. I have worked over 4 years in retail and 6 months of telesales. So basically any call centre/telesales/admin roles along with basic retail jobs are what I'd be looking first and foremost. I am no work snob and will turn my hand to anything these days. Checking out those sites now. Any other websites the equivalent of daft.ie out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

isn't british unemployment high? they will be in a recession soon as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

try the web site jobcenter plus--covers jobs all over the uk--you will be welcome over here-best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

coillcam wrote: »
    Hi Kittex.

I'm a college dropout with no real qualifications. I have worked over 4 years in retail and 6 months of telesales. So basically any call centre/telesales/admin roles along with basic retail jobs are what I'd be looking first and foremost. I am no work snob and will turn my hand to anything these days. Checking out those sites now. Any other websites the equivalent of daft.ie out there?
    Best places to check out are Gumtree, www.S1homes.com and www.rightmove.co.uk
    For a one bed flat in Glasgow you'd pay between 350 and 550 a month. Better off sharing with someone in a 2 or 3 bed.
    I've used easyroommates before and found people through it no problem.

Glasgow's full of call centre jobs and temping work. I don't think the pay is as good as back home though.
    For example, Lloyds are always looking for people
    http://www.s1jobs.com/job/282483273.html

I've atually heard Esure in Glasgow are very good to work for and they are recruiting at the moment
    http://www.s1jobs.com/job/281526627.html

Avoid anything advertised by an agency called 'Rise'.

Advertisement