Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American shows having an english episode

Options
  • 29-09-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the new episode of bones on sky two. Do these "American shows visit england" just get used as a vessel to see how many times they can put the word w anker in to the show? I remember they had homer say it at least once when they had a trip to england . I'm not complaining or anything, infact I don't think theres enough cursing on tv it was just an observation really. I know the word means nothing to Americans so I assume it's just a "tee hee we can put foreign curses in that'll slip by the censors"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

One better. Mork and Mindy did an episode with a character called "Arnold Wanker" and they didn't even have to leave the country. Dying to get my hands on a clip from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It grates on the ears when an Englishman says lines written by an American who thinks he knows what an Englishman might say.

- ditto- Irishman.

In the case of Bones, they seemed to get Tower Bridge in as many scenes as they could, and shot from as many locations as they could.

And while I'm on the subject, why were they driving round in 20 year old Mini Hire-car, or did I miss something?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It grates on the ears with an Englishman says lines written by an American who thinks he knows what an Englishman might say.
    There were an awful lot of pissed-off Brits on the Televisionwithoutpity Bones thread :)
    And while I'm on the subject, why were they driving round in 20 year old Mini Hire-car, or did I miss something?
    Some mix-up when filling the paperwork for the car. Just a cheap excuse to look all quaint in 'ole Blithy.
    They also had to get some lords and ladies in and high tea, their equivalent of shoving a sackful of potatoes on an Irish character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I object! I think I'll write a letter to the US embassy complaining of crude lazy stereotyping.

Oh no, sorry its the Irish who do that sort of thing ;)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ixoy wrote: »
    They also had to get some lords and ladies in and high tea, their equivalent of shoving a sackful of potatoes on an Irish character.

Like the potato man at the U2 concert in the Simpsons?:)

The managed to get a "bollocks" into Bones too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Pigman II wrote: »
    One better. Mork and Mindy did an episode with a character called "Arnold Wanker" and they didn't even have to leave the country. Dying to get my hands on a clip from it.

peggy bundys maiden name is wanker

it was used extremely regularly in the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Chief O'Brien said "bollocks" on Star Trek once, although admittedly they did have to go into outer space for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Angry American chap ans his wife in Fawlty Towers. :)

Mr. Hamilton: I'm gonna bust his ass!
    Basil Fawlty: Everything's bottoms with you people, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Classic ep, that one. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Pigman II wrote: »
    Chief O'Brien said "bollocks" on Star Trek once, although admittedly they did have to go into outer space for that one.
    ah it was DS9, at the start of one of the episodes.(<cough> "Time's orphan" to be exact)
    (Cant for the life of me find the clip but he mentions it here:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=qBZsl7KgbJQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Im pretty sure Charlize Theron uses the word w anker in Arrested Development season 3. Ive heard it on other US tv shows but can't think of others now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I turned on the television the other morning before I left for work and Magnum PI was on RTÉ One; he was in England and there was a huge car chase through some quaint little village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Stekelly wrote: »
    I remember they had homer say it at least once when they had a trip to england.

They also had Mr Burns and a member of U2 say it in the 200th epsiode. They edit out 'wanker' when they show it on Sky One but not when they show it on RTE 2. Same with the bomb during the St. Patrick's Day Parade in the Prohibition Episode.

Last weeks new episode in the US was a good one, complete with an orange order parade and IRA jokes. I wonder if it will ever be shown on SKY or RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Last weeks new episode in the US was a good one, complete with an orange order parade and IRA jokes. I wonder if it will ever be shown on SKY or RTE?

What show was that?

Simpsons.

Advertisement