Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Real, All New, Non NeoGeo, Retro Discussion

Options
  • 29-09-2008 7:45pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is an outright apology ro all those retro fans who aren't terribly interested in the NeoGeo, and certainly not interested in my dull ramblings and spousal angst regarding the building of such a system.

With that out of the way,

What was the console or game that had you pestering your parents/partner for the permission/funds to buy?

For me it was the Spectrum and the game was Jetpac, anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

for me it was a white saturn with Xmen vs streetfighter when i was like 13, she said i had to many games and console's now look where i am mwahahhahahah.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A sega megaCD when I was eight. I soon after found out the truth about Santa :mad:

What truth about santa,:( he still comes down my chimney and gives me pressie's i tell's ya i saw him............................... runs off crying,

but ahhhhh the sega cd, Sonic cd,final fight, popful mail,kieo flying sqaudron,lunar silverstar story....... ummmmm thats about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A Sega CD?
    For Christmas?

Did you get it?

If not, a lucky escape had by all,
    of course, had you got it, all the Ninty owners would have been laughing and pointing, telling you all about the CD drive the Snes was getting courtesy of Sony, HAHAHAHA!! Who has the last laugh now!

Playstation owners, thats who!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I convinced SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED (excepting whe she says last year not to bring any new consoles into the house and since then, at last count, I've snuck in approx. 7) that I had to have a 3DO, back in the day, and you know what, she actually appreciated it for a while, yup, Need 4 Speed and Road Rash were sooooo cool, even her antigame hardened heart was melted, it must have been the vacuous nature of the early Namco releases on the PS that built the walls back up, even the zombie dogs in Resi didn't even raise an eyebrow on her perfect forehead :(

• Advertisement

I dunno, Final fight and Sonic Cd was worth it, and the very impressive sonic opening twinkle

Master of the Universe

Nope, and I still don't own one to this day.

I'm sure if I did get it, I'd have been turned off cd based systems for life. Which would probably have led to me buying one of those horrid Nintendo 64s on release.

*shudder*

What the n64, is fantastic i mean up there with the best of the best, Mario 64 is probably the best game ever made.

But Come on a 3DO the only decent game was SSF2Turbo.

Master of the Universe

I loved Lylat Wars and had some great fun with Goldeneye...but Nothing else really impressed me at all. Reckon in the 30 or so games I have for that system, I pretty much own everything worth playing.

(I'll hold back on my usual n64 controller rant)

3D0? Now there's something I have absolutely no experience with whatsoever. Enlighten me :)

The only use for it was Super streetfighter 2 turbo the only Console port of the game, till the ps1/sat sf2:collection. basically it was sold off to different companies to make there own console, pansonic, sanyo *a sexy beast* and another company, basically it was much more powerfull then the snes/md but weaker then the ps1,saturn and was bought in as a multimedia console, could play VCD's and was around £700 when it came out, was the first console to have Need for speed, though its best aspect was ssf2.

And it's quality, N64 is truly in a leauge of it's own, with mario 64, the game is so damn deep, it is scary what can be done with that game,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

It was the super nintendo for me, it was released about a week before my 12th birthday. I had a NES at this stage and as far as my poor unfortunate Mother was concerned they were basically the same thing.

Some how I managed to manipulate or twist them into it (was very good at the back then) and actually got it 2 days before my Birthday. Super Mario World was completely mind blowing and t was about 6 months before I came up for air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've actually never gotten the console I've wanted from santa. Wanted an amiga, got a C64. Wanted a SNES, got a megadrive (years later). Wanted a saturn, got a PC. Wanted a PC upgrade, got a playstation. After that I bought my own consoles. I still always enjoyed the consoles I got but I still use it every now and again to guilt the parents. Actually, I wasn't all that fond of the C64. Most games on that were really rather poor especially when I got mine in 1991 I think and was stuck with an outdated console when what I really wanted to be playing was mario, sonic or syndicate.

The one console I always regretted not having was a SNES. I always wanted one. There were so many classics released for it I feel I really missed out in never having one and longing for one since it was released. The megadrive was good but it was no match for the vast amount of quality on the SNES.

Another console I really wanted was a Neo Geo CD. I fell in love with Samurai Showdown 2 in the arcades and really wanted one. All the games for the system looked stunning compared to the SNES and Megadrive and the ugly early saturn and playstation games. Never did get one.

Always had very good taste in games funnily enough. Always picked up good magazines and always avoided generic licensed crap. I remember saving up like crazy to afford Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures. My parents always seemed to have something against me playing videogames so always had to buy them myself other than for birthdays and christmas. There was no begging the parents for anything, didn't have much at the time so I didn't mind.

appleidog wrote: »
    But Come on a 3DO the only decent game was SSF2Turbo.

Now you take that back or we'll have problems!

Now I know the machine was pricey, yes, no arguement there, I think I paid £400 back in 95 for mine, a lot of money with inflation taken into account.

But, The Need For Speed as fantastic on it, one of the best versions, better than the eventual Saturn and PS editions, Road Rash was incredible, better colour than the PS version.
    Return Fire rocked everyones world, well at least those who played it, and was a year ahead of it's eventual PS release, and was better on the 3DO too!
    Even Wingcommander on the 3DO was great,
    Lets not forget Star Control 2, space based RPG, that occupied my life for quite sometime.
    Also Incredible Machine and brilliant versions of Samurai Shodown II and Super Street Fighter II X.

So, perhaps not a console with the breadth of releases of the PS or Saturn, but I love it none the less!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now you take that back or we'll have problems!

Now I know the machine was pricey, yes, no arguement there, I think I paid £400 back in 95 for mine, a lot of money with inflation taken into account.

But, The Need For Speed as fantastic on it, one of the best versions, better than the eventual Saturn and PS editions, Road Rash was incredible, better colour than the PS version.
    Return Fire rocked everyones world, well at least those who played it, and was a year ahead of it's eventual PS release, and was better on the 3DO too!
    Even Wingcommander on the 3DO was great,
    Lets not forget Star Control 2, space based RPG, that occupied my life for quite sometime.
    Also Incredible Machine and brilliant versions of Samurai Shodown II and Super Street Fighter II X.

So, perhaps not a console with the breadth of releases of the PS or Saturn, but I love it none the less!

REally, lol i had a 3D0 and i'm sorry it lacked majorly the only reason most people not crazy would get one was for the excellent port of the time SSF2X, now come on the pad was terrible, the machine well panasonic was ugly as hell. sam sho 2 wasn't that great, i mean there is all for loving a console but there is a difference between loving and something being good. lol

At least if you got a second hand ne* ge* at that time, you would of had a better resale value and better games like let me see arcade perfect Sam sho II.

I guess we'll just have to agree that you're wrong so,
    although there aren't many fans of the 3DO out there it has to be said, not too many folk bought into it.
    They were ahead of their time with the vision of a multimedia single format games console, sadly they overpriced it and that was that, EA game it excellent support though, I still play Starblade on it, they never released it on anything else, pity.
    Sure, it hasn't stood the test of time like the NeoGeo did, but there aren't bad consoles, just poor software, nearly every format out there can give you at least one good reason to own it, it's up to you the gamer to decide if it's a price worth paying, and in it's day, to me, the 3DO certainly was.

While others were playing old school sprite based stuff on the Snes and Megadrive, I was playing true next gen stuff, a full year before the PS came along and made out it was all it's idea.
    Need for speed kicked Ridge Racers arse, as did Road Rash.

Im sorry, but but it sucked, i mean truly sucked. It is like you could have the best car in the world, but if you dont know how to use then your screwed. and sure it was powerfull but its about the games.

THe only decent game it has to want to own one is Super streetfighter 2, now as a obscure Doorstep it is high on the list of best doorstops, but it still couldn't compare to the snes in terms of gameplay. its like saying the Mastersystem was light year's ahead of Nes but the games werent there.

the machine was terrible, as well what having a controller and to play 2 players connecting the controller to a controller. Hello, needing to buy the VCD attachment, when it was being classed as a media centre,

Well, a lot like Emily and Bugpuss, I loved the 3DO anyway, despite it's flaws, I can still remember playing my first game on it, Burning Soldier, I loved it so much that I bought it again, years later, and still like it.
    Ho Hum.

Anyone else got a guilty secret, a copy of Pitfighter they have sneaky games of, Rise of the Robots?
    Maybe Flickies Island? Something generally derided as being crap, but you love it anyway?

Advertisement