Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student looking to get a career in IT

Options
  • 29-09-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hi there,

looked at the other threads but none match my situation.

im 17, left secondary school mid way through TY, so now im doing a pre apprenticeship fetac level 4(and later on 5) course with fás, now since i usually get through the computing stuff (basic office and whatnot) pretty fast I decided to put my neck out and ask could i do comtia A+ (was suggested to me early on by the course boss)

basically id like to get into systems admin,been building Pc's for years, run a couple of windows and linux servers at home(file,web and active directory), repaired computers for others,

in all honesty i havent got a clue about where to go once i get A+,I think virtualization might be a good thing to be qualified in since it seems to be getting big ,

thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks,
    sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

FAS Have an online course for the A+ which might be worth looking into.

You could also self study with a book or get some Video Lectures like the following www.cbtnuggets.com and then just do the exam. To book the Exam you just pop onto www.prometric.com , will give you prices etc.

Network+ / starting with Microsoft Certs would be more valuable and cheaper....(tougher though).

Would going back to school and finishing your LC be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

the option is there but its not desirable

areas of interest to me would be networking and windows/linux servers, CCNA looks like somthing i might be wanting to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

weeder wrote: »
    the option is there but its not desirable

areas of interest to me would be networking and windows/linux servers, CCNA looks like somthing i might be wanting to do
    do the ccna - it is well worth it as you will learn alot. After that then maybe look into ms certs.

CCNA is a very big jump from A+ .....and you only have a small amount of IT Experience none of it being with Cisco Equipment.

I think it might be jumping the gun a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

to be honest with you, being a sysadmin is a bit like being HR, you will never be in the core business of the company you will work for. Most of the sysadmin I know are frustrated of not having the knowledge of the consultant of the company...
    My best advice would be to use you technical skills to climb the ladder on the business side.

Best regards,

Paul - Awaycity.com

• Advertisement

the A+ I will be doing is a fas online course, been building pc's for years now and networking is one of my favourite aspects of It but as I said im clueless on certification and where to go, It might be possible for me to.

It should be possible for me to do any of the fas e learning course's in IT with the course im on now,

* Network+ 2005
    * Server+ 2005
    * Linux+ 2004
    * CompTIA A+ 2006 IT Technician
    * Comptia Security+

it might be worthwhile to jump straight in and do networking+ or server+ but like ive said above, im clueless

theres also 2 cisco courses on fas elearning

thanks for your comments
    sean

forgot to mention, if i was going the cisco route i wouldnt mind investing in a lab , that said i could probabaly easily put together a mcse lab from stuff ive got lying around without spending too much

Your still very young, the LC might be something you regret not finishing especially if your trying to get into it. Some of the other guys here might have a better idea of how important it is to Companies.

I reckon you should be looking at doing some courses that will get you into a basic IT support role (like helpdesk), then get some experience and move onto the tougher certs.

The A+ is a pretty basic standard Cert, would be a good start. Then maybe Network+ or an XP MCP. Going straight for a CCNA with no IT Experience & no other certs (including LC) is a bad idea IMO.

i have read some of the A+ material and tbh it all seems like stuff id know already. is there anywhere i could go online and take mock exams withuot paying anything?

I have sent you a PM with some details that might help. If you think A+ is too easy for you then something along the lines of

Network+ , or a
    Microsoft MCP in XP/VISTA to head towards an MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Admin - 4 Exams).... http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

To get into a Systems Admin Role you will need to get some IT Experience (Level 1 & 2) and then get a break. The Certs will help with that.

What is your main interest, Linux or MS?

• Advertisement

windows i must say but im fairly good with the debian commandline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 minz

Hi weeder, sorry to bother you like this. I'm actually looking to see if you're the man that can fix sick ipods? I have one and it's very sick, Apple logo all the time, not recognised by iTunes and all after an update for the iPod was installed recently (2days ago).
    Thanks for your time,
    Minz

I am but i gave that up when i started full time in fas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

From the horses mouth, I know him in RL. None of its a lie. I'm following his career path myself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57320471&postcount=17

Tbh, If you want sysadmin get an MCSE. Be aware, with no experience you will not be hired as a sysadmin directly. You are going to have to start at the bottom, helpdesk or desktop support if you can get it. Lie about what you did after 2 years, embellish your duty's, project's etc. Use the certs to get you interviews and your knowledge to get you the job after 2 years.

I'm in a desktop support role myself, with one exam off a MCSE. I was offered interviews for sysadmin jobs last month after I put out my CV. I'm holding off for a few reasons. I want a CCNA and I think I can get my company to pay for the exams(another thing to look for in the first job, training). And I want a clean drivers license. I get more options with those two.

A helpdesk job is easily found without any certs if what you say about your level of knowledge is true.

definitely sounds like a viable path i could take,
    slightly OT but cuddlesworth,where do you skirmish (if you do that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I'll be brutally honest with you, I would not hire you for a job without the leaving certificate. You'll be at a supreme disadvantage in not having it on your CV, certification is all well and good, as is a natural affinity for the work you are to be doing, but the LC indicates a good base level of education. I'd immediately reject your CV, and to be honest, I don't think I would be exclusive in doing so. This is for a first or early career job. Obviously if you had years of relevant experience, good references then you would get to the next step, but you do a tremendous disservice to yourself by not having it as a base step on which to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭donaghs

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with IronMan. While the best qualification for any job is work experience, employers will use paper qualifications to judge you.

The LC may not be of any practical use, but its a basic standard nowadays to show you've got education and motivation. You're still young so there's plenty of time to get stuff done. I know a few people who've started Computer Science degress in their 30s.

If you're determined to get IT certs and find work that way - the best starting place would be A+ and Network+. Also, since most workplaces are Windows environments, you could look at the Vista 70-620 exam, then maybe a Server 2003/2008 exam.

Also, if A+ looks too easy, then I'd say its worth doing on the cheap, just to get certified quickly.

looks like i might go back to school so, just one thing to note, were told the fas course were doing is the equivalent of the leaving cert

looks like i might go back to school so, just one thing to note, were told the fas course were doing is the equivalent of the leaving cert

I really think you will look back in a few years and be really happy you went back. I know its a pain but it will hold you back a serious amount if you dont have it....

well what if i got my fetac level 5 and then did some college it course?

the fetac im doing is equivalent to a leaving cert and ive been told by the person in charge it will get me into college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Hah, its weird reading back on this now, Im the OP from 2008, the Fás course i was doing at the time i started this thread was shut down early due to a lack of funding so i didnt take home the complete cert, bounced around a job or 2 but spent most of the time on social welfare, so anyway when the leaving results came out in August I had some regrets about not doing mine and said feck it sure nows a good a time as any to give it another shot so I got myself a place in an FE and started studying in september.

I had planned on going straight into third level but since im only doing 5 subjects OL getting the points will be difficult enough so ive decided best go for a plc, 2 reasons for this are to give me a good grounding in the IT world, it will also mean that I will be a mature student by the time im looking to go into third level.

ive got a few queries though.

since i wrote this 4 and a bit years ago im sure the IT industry has moved on a bit so im not really sure what would be the best sector to go into, can anybody recommend a plc for me to apply for as a way to go?

http://www.bife.ie/PLC%20Courses/pages/NetworkSoftwareSystems.aspx this course in bray looks very appealing to me and im also a fan of the HE links that are on offer and it seems to be a good allrounder course giving me a year to decide what sector i really want to get into.

how maths heavy are these courses? doing the new project maths this year and im finding it very tough, maths was always a weak point of mine, ive a feeling i may have to do foundation, will this look bad on my application to places? and more importantly will it follow me around when it comes to getting a third level place? I know programming can be maths heavy but honestly im still kind of in the position of wanting to go down the more support/technician or admin route so will it matter in the long run?

as always all opinions are welcomed so it will help me out in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

weeder wrote: »
    hi there,

looked at the other threads but none match my situation.

im 17, left secondary school mid way through TY, so now im doing a pre apprenticeship fetac level 4(and later on 5) course with fás, now since i usually get through the computing stuff (basic office and whatnot) pretty fast I decided to put my neck out and ask could i do comtia A+ (was suggested to me early on by the course boss)

basically id like to get into systems admin,been building Pc's for years, run a couple of windows and linux servers at home(file,web and active directory), repaired computers for others,

in all honesty i havent got a clue about where to go once i get A+,I think virtualization might be a good thing to be qualified in since it seems to be getting big ,

thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks,
    sean

Do the LC - doesn't matter how it goes - do it, it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

bitburger wrote: »
    Hah, its weird reading back on this now, Im the OP from 2008, the Fás course i was doing at the time i started this thread was shut down early due to a lack of funding so i didnt take home the complete cert, bounced around a job or 2 but spent most of the time on social welfare, so anyway when the leaving results came out in August I had some regrets about not doing mine and said feck it sure nows a good a time as any to give it another shot so I got myself a place in an FE and started studying in september.

I had planned on going straight into third level but since im only doing 5 subjects OL getting the points will be difficult enough so ive decided best go for a plc, 2 reasons for this are to give me a good grounding in the IT world, it will also mean that I will be a mature student by the time im looking to go into third level.

since i wrote this 4 and a bit years ago im sure the IT industry has moved on a bit so im not really sure what would be the best sector to go into, can anybody recommend a plc for me to apply for as a way to go?

http://www.bife.ie/PLC%20Courses/pages/NetworkSoftwareSystems.aspx this course in bray looks very appealing to me and im also a fan of the HE links that are on offer and it seems to be a good allrounder course giving me a year to decide what sector i really want to get into.

how maths heavy are these courses? doing the new project maths this year and im finding it very tough, maths was always a weak point of mine, ive a feeling i may have to do foundation, will this look bad on my application to places? and more importantly will it follow me around when it comes to getting a third level place? I know programming can be maths heavy but honestly im still kind of in the position of wanting to go down the more support/technician or admin route so will it matter in the long run?

I went back to University when I was 24 after working in IT(I got lucky) since my leaving certificate and it was the best decision I have made. I am now qualified with a degree and back working in IT for the last three years. It might take you longer to get where you want to go but you will get there in the end if you persevere.

If you can get into University because you have a certificate from a PLC course then that might be a good way of doing it. You should look at courses you might want to take in the future as a mature student in a University you like and enquire with them what their entrance requirements are. There's not much point in wasting your time doing courses that won't help you get accepted to the course you need.

I was accepted to a Bachelor of Science degree course based on a pass leaving certificate ( 1 honor and 5 ordinary) plus my experience working in IT. There are also quite low numbers applying for IT courses these days so you should have a higher chance of being accepted as a mature student. There is also an option to do a foundation year in Universities which prepares you for the full course if you are a mature student. I found the maths pretty difficult since I hadn't done honors maths for my leaving cert. In UL at least there was a special evening class to help mature students with their maths and I also got some grinds from a leaving cert teacher to help get me up to speed.

So I would suggest you go straight for your end goal and talk to the University you are interested in attending and ask them what they want you to achieve while you are waiting to apply as a mature student. If you can meet those goals for them then I think there's no reason why they won't accept you.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Hi bitburger, don't mind these people sayin go back to do ur leaving cert , u seem pretty sure u wanna enter IT so why study history an english for two yrs.. The lc is a horrendous amount of stress yet u can easily do a plc equivalent course in the area desired to get a job or into third level education.

Im weak at maths aswell but im takling tat with my maths classes and networking doesn't really involve a mathematical mind like programming so maybe go for tat, fas offer great traineeships also..

I myself currently doin os an networks lv 6 (**** course by momentum) but its gettin me into DIT in sept for NET TECH which includes ccna

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

If you want to progress your career and eventually move up through a company I'd suggest the Leaving Cert as an ABSOLUTE essential.

In many cases a third level qualification will be a requirement too, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Worry about the Leaving Cert first, you will thank the stars once you've got it done, it will open many doors for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wow, 5 years ago. My mate is a consultant now, I'm a high level engineer in a multinational.

Don't do much airsofting these days, but used to skirmish out in HRTA. Went to Sweden twice and it ruined airsofting in Ireland for me.

IT sector will keep changing though, since your plan is another 5 years who knows what will be the in thing then. It takes around 5 years to master a job, in IT sectors you should be looking at 5 years per job/role maximum before moving onto a new one. Helps keep you active and gives you a great grounding for consultancy.

I would only aim to do that course if you thought it would help you into a college degree. Otherwise I would simply head straight in as a mature student while spending my time in between trying to better myself using online resources.

You have free time. If your not great with maths, improve on it.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Advertisement