Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Accumulators - Waste of Time?

Options
  • 29-09-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

What are people views on the multi team accumulators? You tend to think it is really buying money! Just this weekend gone I done bet, I realy fancied a horse and he was 6/5, but being greedy I wanted more so I looked to the soccer, thinking United, Chelsea and Arsenal were practically good things I added them into the bet. The price of the accum was 10/3.

First of all united and chelsea win 2-0, next on to the horse(imo was the weakest link), horse wins so now waiting on arsenal at 1/5, who go 1 up and end up getting chinned 1-2!

Lucky enough i layed them on the fair to come out winning, but there is always one team that f**ks up your bet.

IMO stay away from them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Soccer Accumulators - Waste of Time?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I generally bet on between 1-3 teams,no more than that. Doubles are generally a good bet and you have a high percentage of wins.

Only problem is having to put on a fairly high stake !

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

Id be in the same mind as yourself, would never think of picking more than 3 teams. A man once told me to stay away from teams in the Premiership, study you lower division teams, better prices and smaller chance of major upsets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes as a rule (though I've had the odd one), if you had say a tenner, if you put a euro on 10 selections 7 or 8 will come in (assuming you pick well), if you place a 10 euro accu on 10 picks (or even 5) you'll loose almost every time.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Id be in the same mind as yourself, would never think of picking more than 3 teams. A man once told me to stay away from teams in the Premiership, study you lower division teams, better prices and smaller chance of major upsets!

I don't follow how major upsets are supposed to be less likely in the lower leagues. I'd say your 1/3 shots down there fail as often as a 1/3 shot in the Prem.

In general though, yes, accumulaters are money makers for the bookmakers. Sure you hear of big wins for lucky punters from time to time but the bookmakers readiness to advertise these wins suggests they are bringing in plenty to cover.

I'd very rarely even do a double. Looking through my records i've never had a perfect betting week where 5 out of 5 teams picked won (as well as 6 of 6, 7 of 7 etc.). Only once did i get a perfect 4 out of 4 and not commonly even 3 out of 3.

So if you're looking to make money, big accumulaters won't do it for you. If you want the fun of it then obviously there's no harm and you have the chance of a nice win if you get lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't see why there would be more/less upsets.

However you definitely will have a better chance of winning if you specialize in the more obscure leagues.
    Basically the bookies know the Prem League teams inside out, and will never ever make a mistake in the pricing up of their games.

Scottish Division 3 or something equally obscure would be a different kettle of fish. Join a few fan forums, study the form religiously, find out who has a paperthin squad etc and you will put yourself in a position to be ahead of the bookmaker. Couple of Man United defenders injured on a Friday morning doesn't matter a jot to their chances, couple of Berwick Rangers defenders injured could change their true price from Evens to 6/4.
    Not a very exciting way to punt though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

There worth a tenner or 20 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

The horse was Frascati Park anyway ;)

Personally I'd stick to the top 4 teams and pick doubles and trebles out of them. Although Arsenal did dick up my banker double this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i generally pick 4-5 teams, try and get odds of around 3 or 4 to 1.
    if your looking at your slip and your concerned about 1 team, id change it.

For champions league tomorrow, im going with

villareal 8/15 (vs celtic-celtic awful away in champions league)
    man utd 2/5 (they should come out all uns blazing after the draw with villareal)
    chelsea 4/9 (with the squad chelsea have they should win)
    inter 8/15 (inter with jose,after loseing to ac at the weekend will be up 4 this)

4.75/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I do some work in the betting industry and know a few full timers, none of which do mulitples besides the odd double.

The over-rounds on football are a disgrace as it is, so compounding that over-round by doubling and trebling and so on is madness.

That said, they can be a bit of fun now and then, and can give a bit of interest in a few games or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Pretty much the only bets i do atm, had a profitable spell in the euros, and a few since then, but also lost quite a few, never put in more than a quid or two tho, in the last round of champions league matches i had all my selections in apart from united (my feckin team too!) who drew. Woulda payed out around 60-1, not bad return for a quid.

Do occasional golf bets to make it interesting to watch, can't pick dags or horses at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

dsmythy wrote: »
    I don't follow how major upsets are supposed to be less likely in the lower leagues. I'd say your 1/3 shots down there fail as often as a 1/3 shot in the Prem.

It's really rare enough to get a 1/3 shot in a lower english league so i don't see how you could work it out.

As for acca's I love them. If you stage them well, i.e having all the matches at 2 hour intervals, you have a day of fun ahead of you with Justin.TV as long as you don't fail at the first hurdle. They're also a good way to cut down on how much you gamble with as you're still gambling for really high rewards but the pitfalls are much smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭Trampas

I do 2 bets of 3 teams a week and rarely would I do a Prem or championship game. Usually one bet made up of 1st, 2nd div in england and other in the Scot leagues 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

got both bets up in the 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If football games ended after 80 mins i would be up like 10k in accumalators.

They are worth a few quid on a Saturday when watching the football. Its exciting lol. Soul destroying some weeks, if you think there a waste or time and money then your picking too many teams and doing it wrong! The amount of people who pick like 12 good teams and get like 25/1 on it and think its a sure thing every week makes me laugh. Better off backing some donkey longshot in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Lumped a few quid on a whopping accumulator before the summer, something silly like 19 matches. One game was called off, every match played I'd picked correct, except for one, where hot favourites Kings Lynn shipped a late equalising goal against stugglers in what I thought was a certain win. Would've paid out the deposit for a house! :(

Actually, don't think I've won on an accumulator since.... hmmm...
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

im experimenting with them at the moment, dont like them much, trebles and doubles are more my market

for this weeks champs league matches i have bet on 7 games to be over 1.5 goals, it pays 5/1 i think, cant be arsed double checkin now!

i think those markets might work out better then picking teams outright

Advertisement