Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500GB External Hard Drive

Options
  • 29-09-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Not too bad a price, I bought a similar one last year for €110, and it didnt have the ventilation holes. It still works fine, although can cut out after being on a while, and if you're watching a film from it, then pause it and come back later, it will take a few seconds to start playing again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TPD wrote: »
    if you're watching a film from it, then pause it and come back later, it will take a few seconds to start playing again.

That might be a good thing. That sounds like the drive is spinning down after a period of inactivity, this actually helps prevent drive failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I got a 1TB external drive (WD Elements) for €105 on komplett. If you actually need the space, then an extra €25 isn't too bad for doubling the size.

Obviously if you don't actually need the space then you're better off going for a cheaper one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Wouldnt really call it a bargain. Elara have a 500GB for the same price here.

I notice that the aldi uk are selling it for about €63 (£50). The aldi and lidl 'specials' have started to get quite poor lately. They seem to have adopter the 'screw the Irish consumer' mentality of other retailers here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not a fair comparison to the aldi hard drive. The elara one doesn't have an e-sata connection which would be pushing the price of the aldi one up a bit. Saying that how many people use an e-sata connection.

Not a fair comparison to the aldi hard drive. The elara one doesn't have an e-sata connection which would be pushing the price of the aldi one up a bit. Saying that how many people use an e-sata connection.

Oooooh well spotted. A quick look around and I found a 500GB with esata for €92 + delivery here

So looks like a good deal if you want e-sata.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I bought an 500Gb drive from Aldi about 8/9months ago which has since stopped working so I've lost a lot of stuff :mad:

That was an iQon drive, which has since gone into liquidation I found out ! This one is a medion drive & comes with a 3 year warranty so that should keep you covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Compushed

rcs wrote: »
    I bought an 500Gb drive from Aldi about 8/9months ago which has since stopped working so I've lost a lot of stuff :mad:

That was an iQon drive, which has since gone into liquidation I found out ! This one is a medion drive & comes with a 3 year warranty so that should keep you covered

I'm sorry to hear you lost data, it's a nightmare.

There is only one thing you can rely on hard disks to do, and that's fail.

Never keep only one copy of important files (photos etc), have at least one backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

rcs wrote: »

Same thing happened me with a seagate 500 gig... thought i had lost everything off it until I found a handy piece of software on the net 'Recovery Pro' or something it's called and got everything bar one or two files back.
    Windows couldn't even see the drive yet this software got it all back.

I'll pm you the link later when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Be there early, these things will sell like hot cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Bought the 320GB Medion one well over a year ago and it's still ploughing away perfectly.
    If it's still there by the time I get to Aldi, I'll be purchasing one of these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Can you watch movies on your telly from your PC on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I notice that the aldi uk are selling it for about €63 (£50).
    They dont have any stores in Northern Ireland so that wont effect anyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

patmac wrote: »

I would not place a PC on top of one of these....

muffler wrote: »
    They dont have any stores in Northern Ireland so that wont effect anyone here.

It was more to point out the price gouging that both Aldi and Lidl seem to have started doing lately. There never used to be such a price discrepancy. Also happened with the radio recently that was €100 here, but ~€63 in UK

eg:
    UK price before VAT: €53.61
    Ireland price before VAT: €66.10
    => 23% markup on uk price.

Anyway, seems to be good value regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

degsie wrote: »
    I would not place a PC on top of one of these....

Sorry I meant to connect this to the laptop and then to the TV to play movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

There never used to be such a price discrepancy

There never used to be such a strong euro.

Sorry I meant to connect this to the laptop and then to the TV to play movies.

They were suggesting that you intended to physically place your entire computer on top of the hard drive. Not adviseable. But yes, if your tv has the correct input, and your laptop has the correct output, and you have the correct cable, there will be no issues playing films from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Same thing happened me with a seagate 500 gig... thought i had lost everything off it until I found a handy piece of software on the net 'Recovery Pro' or something it's called and got everything bar one or two files back.
    Windows couldn't even see the drive yet this software got it all back.

I'll pm you the link later when I get home.

Have you got a link or anything for that software. Had a 500gig drive go on me the other day. Have most of it backed up but I'm just missing some stuff I'd love to get back. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The software is called Easy Recovery Professional 6.0
    It's brilliant ..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

More interested in the nightvision goggles... NightVisionGOGGLES

So I can spy on my sexy neighbour at any time... nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So what is the best deal on Hard drives at the minute? The Komplett Western Digital Elements 1TB USB2.0 or the Aldi?

I don't mind paying the extra, my problem with Aldi is support. If anything happens to the hardrive within a year what support do i have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Aldi have a three year warranty on their HDD.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

flynner13 wrote: »

You never said you lived beside me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Anyone know if this will work with Vista? Sick to death of some of my items, mp3 player, webcam not being fully compatible. :(

Dont see why it wouldnt work with vista, my old one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anyone know if this will work with Vista? Sick to death of some of my items, mp3 player, webcam not being fully compatible. :(

Good question!

Would go to Aldi tomorrow, ah **** i wont make it in ontime and then they will be gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

You can't connect this drive directly to your TV (even though the ad misleadingly refers to TV recordings), if that's what you're asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

flynner13 wrote: »

You'll have one hand free too - win! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement