Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 wheel drive gear stick

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just changed from car to Nissan teranno. How exactly does the 4 wheel drive gears work I dont have a manual. Please explain how to use 4 wheel drive i.e can it be changed while driving or when stopped and does the clutch need to be used. Also 4L is on the gear stick not sure what that is for, perhaps for ice/snow conditions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

first of all

do not use either 4H or 4L on the road as the steering is stiff and you could do damage

4H is used for driving conditions when 2H does not work
    for example wheels spinning in a field or when reversing a trailer with weight on

4L is for when the other 2 don't work,it reduces the gears to very slow wheel rortation but maximum torque(power)

so in each range you have 5 speeds + reverse
    i can't remember whether you need to clutch when changing from one to the other as i always stop before changing from 2 to 4H or 4L

try the different ranges on the road and you will see the difference in the speeds and power
    but don't use 4 wheel drive at high speedd on the road even when towing,there is no need

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Also, if there is manual lock hubs, you will need to turn these on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

4L is also very handy when starting to tow a heavy load, for example boat up slipway, as it means you wont be riding the clutch to keep it knocking off.
    4H can be engaged while driving at 50MPH or lower and decelerating, cant remember if you have to engage the clutch or not. If it doesnt come out of 4H (to 2H) select 2H and reverse a bit or try turning the wheels. Dont use 4wd unless there is no traction as you will end up winding up your axle. 4L has to be engaged while stopped.
    I very rarely use 4wd on my terrano as it drops fuel efficency severly. I think the instructions are on the back of the sun visor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Thansk again, What is the best one to use during ice and snow as we are now approaching winter??

it will drive away on the ice and snow in 2H.only change to 4h if it slips on the road and 4L if you go off the road or end up in a drift

hopefully the winter will be mild

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I tried 4H on my pajero sport during the snow last year and quickly changed back to 2H, there is actually less traction in 4H than 2H. and forget traction control. it will just leave you sitting there.
    As a previous poster said, keep it in 2H and use 4L to get yourself out of the landscape after you inevitably enter it.

i was testing a frontera i had when it snowed 5 years ago,so i belted it into 4wd and put the boot down

and the arse of the jeep passed me out,funny

Advertisement