Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland getting shown as part of the UK on New Zealand holiday ad.

Options
  • 28-09-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Just seen an ad on Channel 4 enticing British people to come to New Zealand... But it showed a map of the islands including Ireland as part of the UK. Now tis may seem a small deal but I seen examples of it before on TV. The worst I can recall is a competetion winning poster on Blue Peter which showed Ireland painted over with the colours of the Union Jack-it was the Northern woman who selected it I cant recall her name.

Whats your opinion on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I couldn't care less. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence will know the south is not part of the United Kingdom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hardly a big deal that some Australians mix up the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Whats your opinion on this?
    To be honest, I couldn't give a crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Really not a big thing... and this happens with other places around the world too.

Like the "Flight of the Conchords" episode "Drive-by" were a fruit stand salesman hates the two show leads, who are New Zealanders, because he thinks they are Australians :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It would grind on me actually. The Easter Rising wasn't for nothing you know (above posters) :rolleyes:

People should educate themselves and respect other countries. Republic of Ireland FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some people also think that jersey and isle of mann are part of Britain .They are not but what the IOM has in common with ROI is it geographicly part of the British isles and that sometimes is were the confusion is. In the wider scheme of things it's not that important to people around the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I've been to NZ and they know full well that Ireland is not part of the UK, they come under similar probs being referred to as part of Australia. So, in short, I couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Couldn't give a fiddlers tbh

Hardly a big deal that some Australians mix up the UK and Ireland.

:) Excellent.

K4t wrote: »
    It would grind on me actually. The Easter Rising wasn't for nothing you know (above posters) :rolleyes:

People should educate themselves and respect other countries. Republic of Ireland FFS.

Stop trying to troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps they don't have Tippex in New Zealand.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

OP, if you go to the website, www.newzealand.com and on it it is divided into 2 sections: travel or business. under the travel section it is then split into different catagories and one is UK & Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wont somebody think of the children.

This thread gets a big giant WHO CARES from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Stekelly wrote: »
    Wont somebody think of the children.

This thread gets a big giant WHO CARES from me.

+1. Couldn't give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

bothers me, but its not like a new zealender is going to think too deeply about it, unless they are intelligent and say 'lol its not part of britian'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Stop trying to troll.
    Oh sorry. "I don't care". Is that better? Sort yourself out.

It was the story about the Blue Peter competition that really annoyed me tbh. A British person would hardly not know ffs. :rolleyes:

I don't think Austria, France etc. would be too happy if another country showed a map of them covered in the German flag.

Some people take pride in their nationality, especially when thousands died to protect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I don't think Austria, France etc. would be too happy if another country showed a map of them covered in the German flag.

:D:D

Kinda funny thinking about what the reaction would be alright.

Oh sorry. "I don't care". Is that better? Sort yourself out.

You bringing the Easter Rising into a thread like this is pointless. Rise ye against our unionist opressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Yep, couldnt give a fiddlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Change channel, nothing to see here.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As ChewChew said in an earlier post, Ireland and UK are grouped together on the New Zealand website. End of mystery.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement