Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badmouthing the press.

Options
  • 28-09-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Might I suggest that everyone refrain from publicly badmouthing the press on airsoft forums?

The reason is simple. There is a possibility that a researcher/journalist may visit these forums to research airsoft. Do we really want them to feel hated/dispised by airsofters just before they go and write up an airsoft related piece?

Excuse the pun, but it's effectively shooting ourselves in the foot.

I'd go so far as to request that it become part of the forum charter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Its counterproductive, immature and playing right into their hands. But if they are incorrect with their facts n figures, well thats another story, but agreed an open Forum is not the place to take them to task. Discussion amongst ourselves and anybody else who wishes to drop in is fine as long as it doesn't get into a slagging match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Any sniff of a libel action and this forum will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

This normally gets brought up in any thread regarding a press article, but it should go for anything really, I've seem post in regard to customs and the garda that you hope no representative ever reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Puding wrote: »
    This normally gets brought up in any thread regarding a press article, but it should go for anything really, I've seem post in regard to customs and the garda that you hope no representative ever reads.

whilst i agree with you re: gradai & customs, even though im guilty of this myself, i have to disagree about the press.

if lazy incompetant journos cant be bothered to research their subject properly then the can fúck off, there is enough info here on these boards to give them a good account of the sport and airsoft devices legitimate uses yet they choose to portray it in a criminal view.
    why cos it seel more papers, never let te truth get in the way of a good story eh?
    there are enough real guns out there in criminal hands so why pick on airsoft, because its somethingnew to worry the masses with, the know real guns are out there but that wont sell any papers.
    i wonder why they chose a glock of all guns to but and put on the front page.
    the herald "article" served to do nothimg else but tell the young scum where to get a kewl lookin gun.

if you are a journo and read this, please convey the information which you "lift" from this site in a correct, factual, informative & non-sensationalist manner please.
    if not then fúck off and do some real work

there was an artile in the sunday business post there a few months back in which they intervewed a head shop owner who admitted to making about 2 grand per shop each week, mostly from BZP products, he had 3 shops and was opening his fouth, it was presented in a balanced and fair manner with no sensationalism whatsoever.
    would the IAA or a retailer contact that paper re: an expose on the sport perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

whilst i agree with you re: gradai & customs, even though im guilty of this myself, i have to disagree about the press.

if lazy incompetant journos cant be bothered to research their subject properly then the can fúck off, there is enough info here on these boards to give them a good account of the sport and airsoft devices legitimate uses yet they choose to portray it in a criminal view.
    why cos it seel more papers, never let te truth get in the way of a good story eh?
    there are enough real guns out there in criminal hands so why pick on airsoft, because its somethingnew to worry the masses with, the know real guns are out there but that wont sell any papers.
    i wonder why they chose a glock of all guns to but and put on the front page.
    the herald "article" served to do nothimg else but tell the young scum where to get a kewl lookin gun.

if you are a journo and read this, please convey the information which you "lift" from this site in a correct, factual, informative & non-sensationalist manner please.
    if not then fúck off and do some real work

Real mature. A bit like telling a axe weilding maniac you just doinked his mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Simple solution.

You see something that you think is libelous, you press report post. If it is, it'll be taken down and the individual warned not to do it again.

This means everything, tabloids too. (As annoying as they are)

Now I would appreciate if such threads were confined to feedback in future CR, you know how this place works.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement