Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike Suitable for me Da

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Surely a nice light aluminium would be the way to go to make it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

why not the specialized tarmac i am selling? carbon = comfort. he's the right size and its an excellent machine. the zertz in the forks, seat stays and seatpost make for a very comfortable + soft ride. which i know appeals to a lot to the older generation.

i am not sure if this is the kinda money you want to spend, but i could sell the frame, saddle, seatpost, handlebar, stem, headset and cranks. then you could easily throw on shimano tiagra/105 and a cheap wheelset to reduce costs. and i'd let it go for a good price, cos my new frame is arriving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ba wrote: »
    why not the specialized tarmac i am selling? carbon = comfort. he's the right size and its an excellent machine. the zertz in the forks, seat stays and seatpost make for a very comfortable + soft ride. which i know appeals to a lot to the older generation.

i am not sure if this is the kinda money you want to spend, but i could sell the frame, saddle, seatpost, handlebar, stem, headset and cranks. then you could easily throw on shimano tiagra/105 and a cheap wheelset to reduce costs. and i'd let it go for a good price, cos my new frame is arriving soon.

Thanks Ba, but it would be too expensive. I'm also thinking that the bike's look should suit him. I think the Tarmac might be at odds with his image :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

or do you not want your father cycling a sexy beast like you cervelo? :D be honest, those bikes look like sh*te. dont put your father on one of them.

the wicklow challenge is a tough slog, i checked some of those bikes and they're quite heavy. easily clearing 12kg. perhaps you should try looking at something else without carriers, mudguards and bottom tube gear shifters. maybe something racier?

ba wrote: »
    or do you not want your father cycling a sexy beast like you cervelo? :D be honest, those bikes look like sh*te. dont put your father on one of them.

the wicklow challenge is a tough slog, i checked some of those bikes and they're quite heavy. easily clearing 12kg. perhaps you should try looking at something else without carriers, mudguards and bottom tube gear shifters. maybe something racier?

Yes, I don't really want all the racks on it. The main factor I'm think of is comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've been through a similar thought process recently. I'm only 34 but am now unfit and fragile.

Decided that most important critera were:

- Relaxed geometry.
    - Mudguard eyelets for all-weather training.
    - A bike which I could spec down to component level.
    - Light weight, all other things being equal.

I don't think a triple is necessarily essential as you can a compact double with a decent spread of ratios, it will just be a bit gappier.

The Focus bikes seem good value - 105 is good at that price.

Ribble might be worth looking at - they do well-priced Audax frames and you can pick whatever components you need - check out the bike builder on their website (site doesn't work in Firefox, only IE).

Whilst light is good, your Dad is far more likely to get out in the winter if he is warm and comfortable. In this respect spending money on a really good saddle could be a better investment than a fancy frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Raam, first off, more power to your Dad. Second off, I'd play the man rather than the ball. I.e., I'd give some thought to what shape your father is in now and how that's likely to alter after 10 months of training. If he's anything like your body shape, he might well lose upwards of 2 stone simply through cycling (assuming his calorific intake remains constant). In that context, it makes relatively little difference whether the bike he purchases weighs 10kg or 12kg. The issue of steel versus alu then is - as you point out - comfort. I ride both an (old) steel "racer" (a knockabout bike really with only 12 speeds) and my "proper" racer, alu frame and carbon forks. The steel bike definitely absorbs bumps better but overall the diffierence in comfort between the two is not significant - for me. I think you'd be a proper cyclist (i.e. people like yourself, Blorg et al) before the difference would become important. In other words, I'd put behind considerations of geometry and gearing.

If he's used to MTBs, then I think you''re right to look at something with touring geometry: the more relaxed riding position coupled with access to brakes on the bars rather than just on the drops will ease the transition whilst allowing him the option later of settling onto the hoods. Furthermore, a tourer will permit mudguards which are going to be pretty essential if he's training through the winter.
    (I believe Barrabus owns a Trek 520 so you could ask him about that.)

I think a triple will be essential. I'm 37, reasonably fit and went up Sally Gap and Slieve Maan last week on the 39 ring (coupled with the 27 at the back). I made it but at one point on Slieve Maan it did occur to me that the gearing on my hybrid (i.e. a 30 small ring) was much more appropriate to the length of the climb and the gradient at particular points.

Finally: (And this isn't a joke) buy him a heart rate monitor. I know a couple of guys in their 60s who ride as if the previous 40 years hadn't happened. However, more recently, some of them have experienced heart "difficulties". Obviously this sort of training ultimately strengthens the heart as a muscle but at that age increased workloads need to be added incrementally. It'd be no harm getting him into a gym and establishing what his training zones are.

The whole idea sounds great though. What price a "Boards Elders" cycling club?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

One of the Felt Z series bikes might also be an option. For example this one is alu with carbon forks and 105 triple.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/z70-2008-road-bike-ec000580

Bianchi also have a model with relaxed goemetry at a similar price

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/c2c-via-nirone-7-aluminium-105-10-speed-compact-2008-road-bike-ec000024

BTW, your Dad would be eligible to join the rish Vets (www.ivca.info) if he'd like to join a club and cycle with people of similar age. Also, it goes without saying, but he should be getting a medical before starting just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MadHatter wrote: »
    One of the Felt Z series bikes might also be an option. For example this one is alu with carbon forks and 105 triple.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/z70-2008-road-bike-ec000580

Yes, the Felt Z series get good reviews. There is also the cheaper (£500) Z90:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/15628/Felt_Z90_Bike_2008

I discounted the Felts as they didn't have a Campag option or mudguard eyelets/clearance, both questionable judgements :-)

Thank you very much for all the replies. The point about a medical is a good one.
    I'm thinking that it would be best to buy from an LBS otherwise I end up maintaining the thing :pac:

• Advertisement

Probably going to go with this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Merluza_2008/5360032393/

But I've noticed that the wheelset is 622-32
    Is this gonna be a good or bad thing?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Probably going to go with this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Merluza_2008/5360032393/

But I've noticed that the wheelset is 622-32
    Is this gonna be a good or bad thing?

I might be wrong, but I think that's just another method of tyre sizing and what you're really getting is 700c wheels with 32c tyres.

el tonto wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I think that's just another method of tyre sizing and what you're really getting is 700c wheels with 32c tyres.

So I could bang 700x23 tyres on there no worries?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So I could bang 700x23 tyres on there no worries?

Think so.

el tonto wrote: »
    Think so.

According to here 622-32 is the same as 700x32c.
    With that in mind, will a wheel that takes 32s also take 23s?

Sorry about the noobishness of this. :o

According to here 622-32 is the same as 700x32c.
    With that in mind, will a wheel that takes 32s also take 23s?

Sorry about the noobishness of this. :o

Yes.

Actually, just had a look at the link. They're standard Fulcrum R7's. You're laughing so.

Advertisement