Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work situation really bothering me

Options
  • 28-09-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I apologise in advance for the no doubt long-windedness of this post. I don't want to leave anything out.

Okay so I've been in my job for over 2 years, I really enjoy it and I feel I'm damn good at it. I recently applied for and got a transfer to another area in the organisation. Been in this new area for the past 3 months and it's been fine.

Now for the problem. There's a girl, X, in this new area 2 years older than myself (I'm 26) and we got along fine at first. I had heard she was a bit difficult to deal with but I decided to reserve judgment and see how we got along. I take this approach with everyone I deal with in work but she does the opposite. She openly told me that she doesn't like anyone at first but might "grow to like them". I found that strange but decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Part of my job involves occasionally going to other areas in the organisation for a few days at a time. I quite enjoy this aspect as I get to meet loads of different people in the company and see different aspects of what we do. Due to circumstances, last week myself and X were sent to the same place. The senior manager in this place is despised by X and he isn't too fond of her either. The manager is notorious for being rude to staff and he's pretty much universally hated by those who work closely with him. On the occasions that I've encountered this man, we've got along just fine. I approach it with a smile on my face and I chat away to him pleasantly. I don't see the point in making my working life difficult and at the end of the day he's the boss! Anyway, the atmosphere for the whole day was horrendous. She stomped around the place with a face like thunder, snapped at me when I spoke to her while herself and the manager ignored each other. At one point she told me to stop talking to him and to stop being "a kiss ass". I ignored this as I'm not about to revert to that schoolyard mentality. When the manager had to disappear off for an hour she came and sat by me. She looked miserable and I said "Cheer up X". She was suitably unimpressed. She got so annoyed with me, snapped at me and was generally unpleasant. I told her I just meant that she seemed like she was in a bad mood. She denied this forcefully (way to prove me wrong eh?) and I said "Ya kow what? Forget it" and I walked away and got back to my work. She then pretty much ignored me for the rest of the day and the following morning I got nothing more than a curt "morning".

I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and wanted to forget about it. I didn't appreciate her attitude but I can't change it so I have to get on with it. Anyway, I ws then sent off to another area (busy time of year for us) while she was in our regular office. The following afternoon I was back in the usual office and there was a really weird atmosphere. People who would normally chat to me gave me a grunt of a hello while one in particular sat there glaring at me. I should probably point out that these people were all managers. One of the lads told me that X had been talking about me the day before (when I was out of the office) telling them all that I had been ignoring her and generally being a bitch to her over nothing because I had taken offence to her. He also told me that before I arrived in the office that day all the managers had been talking about me. It was really intimidating.

I have no problem with X speaking to people about what happened but she's obviously twisted things majorly and if managers are going to listen to her side of things they should come and speak to me about it also. I was just so shocked at their change in attitude towards me. I then found out from someone in one of the areas we get sent to that X had been out there calling me all sorts. Thankfully the person she said it to knows me and knows that she has a major attitude problem so it was quickly disregarded by him. However, there's no guarantee that the next person she says it to will know me and know it's bull.

Anyway, I'm off now for the next 3 weeks as I'm off to New Zealand for a holiday (much needed after this) and this is weighing on my mind. I won't be there to defend myself from her bull and I don't want to come back to a badly damaged reputation. I know I should have approached the managers involved at the time but I was so shocked (and upset) at her actions and their change in attitude to me over something so completely ridiculous that I didn't know what to do. I feel really stuck.

Should I speak to the manager before I go? Should I forget it and hope it blows over? My boyfriend reckons I should forget it for now and see how things lie when I come back and if there's any hint of crap from her go straight to management and deal with it then.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here guys as it's really weighing on my mind and I don't want to ruin a holiday of a lifetime over schoolyard rubbish.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I strongly recommend talking to your manager/s about this before you go. This is your carreer, and by the sounds of it this girl is completely unhinged about how to carry yourself in the workplace.

If you can approach them calmly and professionaly and explain the situation to them without lowering yourself to her level, I'm sure they will be receptive about it. Just tell them you are a bit concerened as you're going away for the three weeks, you don't want any misunderstandings or opinions tarnishing your professional reputation, and that you would rather talk face to face with your team about it rather than take it to HR.

If they know what sort of character you are, and what sort she is, Im sure they'll see the light.

Advertisement