Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€12,000 - Would you trust the bookie?

Options
  • 28-09-2008 10:32am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here goes,

Spotted an envelope in town on Friday morning. Thought I better check it incase someone lost something valuable - they did.

Betting slips totalling ~ €4,000. 95% of which was on a horse running that afternoon. Went into the 2 bookies where the bets were placed and left my contact name and number. Both bookies told me they would recognize the guy that put the bet on but wouldn't pay him without the slips. I didn't trust the bookies to leave the slips with them, said I'd rather give them to him myself.

Heard nothing, horse won, still heard nothing. There's ~€12,000 of winnings available and I'm not sure what I need to do. Called to one of the bookies yesterday and they said the person called and they paid him. Do you think they'd be telling me fibs? Can they be trusted? I'll call into the other bookies today if I get time.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They are obviously lying..They wouldnt give the person money without the betting slips, even if they know him/her..You need to find the person that lost the betting slips and give them to him/her

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

callaway92 wrote: »
    They wouldnt give the person money without the betting slips, even if they know him/her..

This is not true, bookies do have a method where they will pay you without the betting slip.

To the OP, its definitely worth following up, but its plausible that the bookie is telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

i lost a betting slip before and got paid no problem. I simply rewrote the bet and they checked the handwriting of the scanned docket.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

callaway92 wrote: »
    They are obviously lying..They wouldnt give the person money without the betting slips, even if they know him/her..You need to find the person that lost the betting slips and give them to him/her
    Thats is completely untrue.

Its quite common to lose slips, and most lost slips are never found.
    THe bookies pay out on this, it would be ridic if they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

cash in the Betting slips for your salf thats what i woud do fanders keapers lossers weapers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Punters betting such sums in offices would be well known to the staff and chances are that he is a regular in both shops and anyone trying to cash those slips would be in trouble

yap you are so so right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xbox36016 wrote: »
    yap you are so so right

On your last post you said that he should get the money for himself..Now you are agreeing with another person not to do it??...Do you have a point you would like to make..If not..GTFO and fix your spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd be looking for some sort of a reward. Deffo. I wouldnt hand over a penny of it, register the find with the guards.

yes have the monay for your silf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thanks all. I contacted the Garda on Friday afternoon after the race and left my details. I may go to the local rag and put in a notice of some shape.

I'd like to think the bookies paid him, I just don't know though. I've heard of them paying out bets on 'lost slips' after checking hand writing and other details but for 12K?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Mr Mag . What bookies in Dundalk was it ? the majority of them in Dundalk would have regular clientèle. So therefore would have no problem paying without the slips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 titti

Sarge wrote: »
    Mr Mag . What bookies in Dundalk was it ? the majority of them in Dundalk would have regular clientèle. So therefore would have no problem paying without the slips.
    maybe the bookies were trying to hegde there bets and lost there slips , this means that they have bet x amount on the horse to cover there:confused:self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

hi ciaran,

Donal O'C here. pm me what bookie it was and i may be able to answer more correctly. Ive often lost betting slips in bookie shops ive only gone to a few times, and by re-writing them i have got paid out. The official line is not no do this, but the bookie does this, esp if they know/recognise you.

I certainly wouldnt put an advert in the paper - as its a waste of time i feel - just imagine the replies! lol

but, fareplay for looking out for him - and id just go into the bookies, ask for a manager - and let him know sgt x x x is aware of the proceedings if you think its necessary.

Any1 betting in such large sums will surely notice it gone. Also if it was alot of different slips on the same race, its either a syndicate or a group of lads in the pub(regulars) who probably punt regularly with the bookie. Id be 90% sure that they did get paid out.

Also,as any bet is just a gentlemans agreement, and a bookie can dishonour the bet as they will, in turn a betting slip is just a piece of paper that facilitates such an agreement amongst two parties. It is far from a legal document, and shouldnt be viewed upon as holding the same value as say a lotto ticket.

Neways fare play for the concern, but id say the matter has been resolved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hey Donal, hope all's well. I was going to put a box number in the paper not a phone number ;-) The calls would have been mad.

Called into the other bookies this evening and the girl told me the bet had been paid, she left me in no doubt so all's grand I reckon.

It was Ladbrokes and Bar1. Thanks again for the replies folks, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If it was me I'd get in contact with John Martin from the Evening Herald (punters platform) or something like that.
    At worst you'll get some recognition for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

We need more blokes like Mr. Magnolia in the world! Fair balls to you man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Here goes,

Spotted an envelope in town on Friday morning. Thought I better check it incase someone lost something valuable - they did.

Betting slips totalling ~ €4,000. 95% of which was on a horse running that afternoon. Went into the 2 bookies where the bets were placed and left my contact name and number. Both bookies told me they would recognize the guy that put the bet on but wouldn't pay him without the slips. I didn't trust the bookies to leave the slips with them, said I'd rather give them to him myself.

Heard nothing, horse won, still heard nothing. There's ~€12,000 of winnings available and I'm not sure what I need to do. Called to one of the bookies yesterday and they said the person called and they paid him. Do you think they'd be telling me fibs? Can they be trusted? I'll call into the other bookies today if I get time.

Any advice?

I would trust the bookie and give them back the slip. OR FINDERS KEEPERS LOSERS WEAPERS :pac:

Advertisement