Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regulations regarding crossbows

Options
  • 27-09-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

hi there!
    looking at a crossbow on the net from hong kong and wondering if they are illegal in Ireland?
    any info a help
    thanks
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not illegal, but classed as firearms legally so you need a firearms licence for them. Apply at your local Garda station. Mandatory prerequisites include having a good reason for wanting one, having a safe place to use one, it not being a danger to the peace or to public safety for you to have one, and for you to be over 16, out of prison for the past five years, be of sound mind and temperate habits, and you will have to have secure storage for it - for most firearms licences that means a gunsafe and a house alarm, but it's dependant on what the local superintendent wants you to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

And absolutely no hunting with them, no matter what some people might tell you.

Or with any other kind of bow for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Killedbyabear

Just like everything else in Ireland you gotta ask for permission. You gotta get a license and the legislation says it's down to Mr. An Garda ****e-On-Ya to decide. Another example of our freedoms being curtailed yet again. Are we slaves or what? There's not much to do in this bloody country and anything that yee might have fun doing will either cost you a damn fortune or its illegal! The thing is: like firearms, if a criminal wants one he'll get one. The firearms / crossbow laws are there to stop people having any sort of freedom and put simply - for the control of us sheep. So forget the crossbow and go to work, pay your mortgage and maybe if then you've any time or cash left over in your pocket - take a swig of whiskey and tell yourself that you live in a Free State. Yeah right!! Get me out of here quick. I can't stand it anymore! BAAAAHHHHH!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

The crossbow licence issue has been taken more seriously since someone used one to shoot someone a few years back in the midlands somewhere. Can't rem the details.

Fairly lethal, licence is not such a bad idea as its really a "letting the cops know you have one" licence -like a tv licence, rather than a "prove you are (relatively sane and) can use this" licence - like a driving licence.

• Advertisement

They're also going on the list of restricted firearms, meaning you have to apply to the Garda Commissioner now, not the local lad, and you will have to meet whatever extra preconditions he applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sparks wrote: »
    They're also going on the list of restricted firearms, meaning you have to apply to the Garda Commissioner now, not the local lad, and you will have to meet whatever extra preconditions he applies.

Thats a bit over the top isin't it?

Frankly I'm amazed the government hasn't considered bows as lethal yet:rolleyes:, careful now, you might have fun with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Have you *seen* olympic archery gear? You'd kill more people bashing them over the head with the longrod tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭lilRedSmurf

Have you *seen* olympic archery gear? You'd kill more people bashing them over the head with the longrod tbh..

He's got a point.

My favorite noob threat was always something along the lines of

...do that again and I'll shove a longrod so far up your arse you choke on it...

good times:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Is anyone here shooting them in any Irish clubs? Where do you meet up?

I'm really asking because I'm wondering if anyone is actual in the know as to whether or not such items must only be used for practice on an approved range as they are firearms after all.

In all fairness this might seem OTT as compound bows would have a similar range and danger but thankfully there is no licence required for these items yet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

You can contact the Secretary of the Crossbow Association (CCNE) for more details on the sport, the details are here IAAA Contacts.

There are not that many people using crossbows in Irish clubs, we do however have a small number of experienced internationals in the country some of whom have won international medals and set world records.

Just on the major difference between bows and crossbows - a crossbow can be carried loaded which sets them apart.

Edit:
    - To please Ivan
    By carry loaded i mean - You can carry a crossbow ready to fire, with energy stored in the system with no further effort needed by the user to hold it there.

You can contact the Secretary of the Crossbow Association (CCNE) for more details on the sport, the details are here IAAA Contacts.

There are not that many people using crossbows in Irish clubs, we do however have a small number of experienced internationals in the country some of whom have won international medals and set world records.

Just on the major difference between bows and crossbows - a crossbow can be carried loaded which sets them apart.
    I can carry any normal bow loaded!

I think you need a better definition to set xbow apart form reg bows;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Is anyone here shooting them in any Irish clubs? Where do you meet up?

I'm really asking because I'm wondering if anyone is actual in the know as to whether or not such items must only be used for practice on an approved range as they are firearms after all.

In all fairness this might seem OTT as compound bows would have a similar range and danger but thankfully there is no licence required for these items yet!!!

I did a course in Woodbrook archers a few months back on crossbow shooting. As far as I know you do need a licence. However the type of bows shot in competition and shot by C.C.N.E members are called "field" or "match" bows, they are not hunting bows. You can get a licence much easier for one if you can prove it is strictly for sporting use as far as I know.... If you are a member of C.C.N.E I think through them you can get a licence for a crossbow.

Are they a longer sort of design with a stock/tiller that extend well out beyond the cross point of the bow and tiller? and at the end their is a pin sight thats similar to those used in Olympic rifle shooting.

You say they are easier to obtain if you are using them for a sporting activity
    Well according to most people here :rolleyes: (i say most) the only reason that you could have one is for a sporting use!

Now what type of sporting use is a different question which i will not answer here!
    I suppose that you meant target shooting!..

thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Are they a longer sort of design with a stock/tiller that extend well out beyond the cross point of the bow and tiller? and at the end their is a pin sight thats similar to those used in Olympic rifle shooting.

You say they are easier to obtain if you are using them for a sporting activity
    Well according to most people here :rolleyes: (i say most) the only reason that you could have one is for a sporting use!

Now what type of sporting use is a different question which i will not answer here!
    I suppose that you meant target shooting!..

thanks for the advice

No I meant sports use, Bow hunting is not a sport in this country and I would not call it one (you really aren't getting that fact are you? Or else you just like to annoy archers who don't like bow hunting).

As for the design of the crossbow the stock and sight set up is the same as Olympic rifles. In fact good enough competition crossbow shooters have been know to shoot Olympic rifle. Skills carrier over very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

lads if in order to purchase a crossbow you have to apply for a licence. is it legal to manufacture you own

maybe something simple like this
    http://crossbowhunters.com/_sgg/m3_1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

You need to licence to own a crossbow not just to purchase it. There's a guy in the CCNE (crossbow association) that made one in the 70's and it's still going so it's not illegal to do. You still have to get a licence in the end though

Carebear11 wrote: »
    No I meant sports use, Bow hunting is not a sport in this country and I would not call it one (you really aren't getting that fact are you? Or else you just like to annoy archers who don't like bow hunting)..
    Look I'm not here to annoy you but remember that you don't speak for all archers, i have my own ideas as to what i deem a sport! and I'm not here trying to sell it to you. So drop it.
    Carebear11 wrote: »
    As for the design of the crossbow the stock and sight set up is the same as Olympic rifles. In fact good enough competition crossbow shooters have been know to shoot Olympic rifle. Skills carrier over very well.

Yes thought as much!! horrible looking devices!

So i take it then that you lads with crossbows are only shooting them on a garda approved range ? which is ridiculous considering their poor ballistic trajectory, i have even heard that they lose speed quicker that standard longbow arrows as the bolt are often thicker and heavier!

What about any poor sod that owns two or three of these units they are required top meet a load of security requirements. These security requirements would not even be as tough if one had 2 or 3 shotguns or rifles.

Jesus man the Irish archery org's sat on the rears while the carpet was pulled from under you lads!!

You can be sure that your compounds are for the jump next!!

I predicted that airsoft would be attacked and i was right an you'll be next.

It wont end until the only people untouched are those that own a trad bow.

You will be over ran because you groups wont stand together.

Advertisement