Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Dual Carriageway

Options
  • 27-09-2008 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Are there any moves to bring the speed limit of the Naas Dual Carriageway up to 120kph ?

I know there are a few at grade junctions but I'd personally think that the road is of good enough quality.

The easiest solution here would be to have the inside lane remain at 100kph and to have the two outside lanes have a limit of 120kph.

Is there any country in the world which has roads where different lanes have a different speed limit ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I haven't driven on the Naas Dual-Carriageway for a while now, so I forgot what it was like...

But I wouldn't expect it to be upgraded to 120 km/h anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think everyone dose 120 KPH on the N7 Naas road..

If they kept the current 100KPH limit and installed a few Gatsos it would help clear the national debt in no time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

not on the middle lane as this is where all the slow drivers drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Trampas wrote: »

And that is literally not a joke.

Bluntyguy. The Naas Dual Carriageway is of very good quality. All bend radiuses are well within the limit for 120kph.

The only thing is that there are a few at-level junctions for local access and a few petrol stations. All left turn at-level mind.

And yes, everyone does 120kph on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Trampas wrote: »

What is it with that? Is it they don't know where they should be? Always I want to kill them, but apparently that's against the law, like doing 120 on it.

• Advertisement

Perhaps they should install "middle lane hog" cameras that flash you if you're in the middle lane when the left lane is empty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

And that is literally not a joke.

Bluntyguy. The Naas Dual Carriageway is of very good quality. All bend radiuses are well within the limit for 120kph.
    No They are NOT. Go look again. City west and Rathcoole have fairly sharp turns including to many weaving traffic, with lefts ins and lefts offs. There are three interchanges in only a 2 in a half mile stretch, It would be dangerous, to up the limit especially here.

If they build a local R445 road from Kill to the Outer ring road adjacent to remove the lefts ins - offs , remove the weaving movements, and then reduce the curves at Citywest and Rathcoole points. Then there could be a slight possiblity of raising the speed limit.
    The only thing is that there are a few at-level junctions for local access and a few petrol stations. All left turn at-level mind.

And yes, everyone does 120kph on it.

There are no, "at level junctions" bar Newlands cross, which has zero contribution to speed limit changes, even when that is upgraded. At newlands, the road speed limit is less than 100kmh.

Please don't make up nonsense. Thanks. If your not sure don't state things as fact.

mysterious wrote: »
    No They are NOT. Go look again. City west and Rathcoole have fairly sharp turns including to many weaving traffic, with lefts ins and lefts offs.

Again there are no, "at level junctions" bar Newlands, which has zero contribution to speed limit changes, even if upgraded.

Please don't make up nonsense. Thanks. It confuses others.

When I say at level junction, I should have said at level slip roads. I'm referring to the slip roads etc that allow access to various petrol stations and local access such as Apple Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There are no, "at level junctions" bar Newlands cross, which has zero contribution to speed limit changes, even when that is upgraded. At newlands, the road speed limit is less than 100kmh.

Please don't make up nonsense. Thanks. If your not sure don't state things as fact.
    Newlands Cross is not the only at-grade junction, Monastery Road is still a signalised at-grade junction for the time being ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What I believe the OP is referring to is the fact that while there are indeed no median crossings, there remain private accesses and left turns on the N7 between Newlands and Naas.

The Naas dual-carriageway is not HQDC which is full motorway standard. Its' nearly there for the most part, but that's not the same thing. It can't be reclassified as motorway as that would require the stopping up of any access other than GSJs and service areas and providing alternative accesses on other roads to these businesses/homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

nipplenuts wrote: »
    What is it with that? Is it they don't know where they should be? Always I want to kill them, but apparently that's against the law, like doing 120 on it.

Maybe the middle lane hoggers actually read the overhead signs which imply left lane is for turn off only. On this stretch of road you cannot blame the hoggers until the NRA replaces the overhead signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Maybe the middle lane hoggers actually read the overhead signs which imply left lane is for turn off only. On this stretch of road you cannot blame the hoggers until the NRA replaces the overhead signs.
    Indeed the signs have caused confusion, but do you seriously think that all those legions of middle lane hoggers are unfamiliar with the road?

Its amazing that the NRA haven't done anything about this. MLM's essentially reduce the capacity of that road from a 3 lane to a 2 lane.

It also forces a person using the outside lane to switch through 2 lanes of traffic to overtake someone in the middle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He is referring to the several "Left in, left out" junctions for minor roads, privates accesses and petrol stations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres more than just proper 'left in, left' out junctions along there, particularly outbound between J5-7 there are farm buildings which are just gates on to the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I'd like to see the Naas Road become full blown motorway, although it would be difficult to implement. Its got to be a long term strategic goal really.

Its only going to get busier in the future, seeing as it connects Dublin with half the country. Hopefully the impediments blocking motorway status will gradually be removed over the coming years at least, rather than added to. No more petrol stations/housing estates connecting directly onto it, etc.

Its not ideal that there is such a large 'gap' in the motorway network, especially on such an incalculably important stretch. Its fine for now I suppose, as the road itself is to a high standard, but its got to be earmarked for future reclassification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Aside from the issues raised re - entrances on / off the road,- there is also the problem of the lack of an alternative route for traffic prohibited from using a motorway (L drivers, vehicles <50kmh, ect). There is no suitable alternative to the N7 from Newlands X to Nass, so this stretch will NOT be reclassified to M7, but could concievably be given a 120kmh limit as on the N2 Ashbourne bypass. (and I hope that it is given this limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

steyr fan wrote: »
    Aside from the issues raised re - entrances on / off the road,- there is also the problem of the lack of an alternative route for traffic prohibited from using a motorway (L drivers, vehicles <50kmh, ect). There is no suitable alternative to the N7 from Newlands X to Nass, so this stretch will NOT be reclassified to M7, but could concievably be given a 120kmh limit as on the N2 Ashbourne bypass. (and I hope that it is given this limit.

No there's no alt route, but its something that should be looked at - creating a new all purpose route alongside it, so that the main road can have motorway restrictions. Obviously there are more pressing matters right now, but like I said its something that should be considered at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I agree that as a long term objective the Naas Rd should be given motorway restrictions and a parallel route extended up from Kill to Rathcoole at least. There is (or soon will be) a parallel rote of sorts from there on into the R110 via Ballymount.

It is way down the list of priorities of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

D.L.R. wrote: »
    No there's no alt route, but its something that should be looked at - creating a new all purpose route alongside it, so that the main road can have motorway restrictions.

Of course, the original plan was that the new route created alongside it would be a motorway! SDCC still have a motorway reservation for it (or had until recently) and this is the reason for the "missing" Junction 8 on the M50.

The Ryder Cup and the pressing need to improve the Naas Road intervened and we got an online upgrade instead. In fairness I think this was the correct move - a motorway and a DC between Naas and Clondalkin would have seemed like overkill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement