Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newie buying advice (sniper)

Options
  • 27-09-2008 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

i had totally forgotten about airsoft until the guys in class reminded me about it, its something i always wanted to try.

anyways, im at the point right now where i've narrowed down what im going to buy to one of two sniper rifles:

Steyr SSG 69 P2 from MIA @ 80eur

or

Well L96 Sniper from Eirsoft @ 170eur

the price difference is huge, so i should explain. If i was getting the Steyr, I'd also be getting a scope, probably the Ncstar 3-9x40 from MIA (im not positive but i think this very same scope might be on eirsoft for 15eur cheaper) and a bipod of some sort.

so heres my question, which do you think is the better option here? by specs alone they're pretty evenly matched, but by reviews on the sites, the steyr ssg seems to be loved - the Well L96 not so much (not negative reviews, just lacking reviews in general)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

If you want to keep things cheap get the ssg.

I may be biased (i have one) but I think the l96 is better. Its a bit quieter. Comes with a scope and bipod. Very comfortable to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

i can sell you can my brand new l96 with carry bag but no scope for 90, used in skirmish once but getting a g&g gr25 sniper so not needed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Id have the L96 on personal choice really, the SSGs are either really hot or from what ive seen, pretty low powered aparently due to the fact that they have an unusual spring so getting one in or around 1J might be a problem.,
    the L96 also feels way better too and its a lot more quiet than the SSG.

But im gonna throw a spanner in the works for ya and suggest you get the JG BAR10 instead., :D ive been using it myself for a while and its even better than the 2 you mentioned and around the same price as the L96.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

L96 would be my preference.
    I've always preferred the looks of them and love the
    AI style Stocks.

Dont like the look of the SSG but was going to buy the
    Kit from MIA which comes with scope and all and its really
    good value for money.

I recently fired a Real Steel SSG and I got to say the exterior finish on the real steel is very crude. Its looks like shiny cheap ABS, the Stock feels hollow and its not balanced being front heavly, the Magazine was cheap nasty plastic and the paticular rifle's magazine was cracked/damage so it could only hold two rounds without breaking.

Apart from the weight, it actually looked and felt like
    an Airsoft rifle rather than the real deal.
    (No insult to airsoft rifles intended)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

+1 vtec

I like my SSG, but it's not that quiet and because it's based on the heavy barrel police version it's not exactly light either. It works fine on a bipod but that adds nearly another kilo.

I'd love someone to make an airsoft version of the original military SSG.

When they're downgraded for import to Ireland they often end up shooting at around 85-87 m/s (280fps). Mine will be getting a 6.01mm (!) barrel next year to bring it back up a bit towards the 100.

I personally like the look of it, rather than the BAR-10, but that's a very good beginner rifle. And if you find after a while that the sniper/sharpshooter role doesn't suit you (and that happens a lot - it's widely misunderstood) you can always trade it in for a JG G36c.

SSG background info:
    http://remtek.com/arms/steyr/ssg/ssg.htm
    It was a major advance when launched, but one or two rifles have matched it since and the AI is now the de facto standard. I'll be going to an L96 eventually, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

OzCam wrote: »
    +1 vtec

And if you find after a while that the sniper/sharpshooter role doesn't suit you (and that happens a lot - it's widely misunderstood) you can always trade it in for a JG G36c.
    i agree with this completely,so before you spend the money see if you can get a go of a sniper for a game or two.if you were going to go down the sniper road then out of the two get the l96 as i have held the other two (bar10,ssg)and to be honest they are useless from a dedicated snipers point of view.there to light ,sound terrible,feel even worse not to mention the feel of the bolt.Now this is all in comparison to the l96 but i am just after buying an aps 2 from eirsoft and that blows all of them out of the water it only beats the l96 is strength as its the most solid sniper on the market in ireland its 190 is eirsoft so if i was you man id get the aps 2

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I used a L96 at the weekend and tbh I just wasn't impressed at all. I think it was a Well. It was very light and cheapy feeling and I didn't like the action of the bolt at all. It was also shooting very low (was brand new).

I used a L96 at the weekend and tbh I just wasn't impressed at all. I think it was a Well. It was very light and cheapy feeling and I didn't like the action of the bolt at all. It was also shooting very low (was brand new).
    it does feel a bit flimsy but not as bad as the other two.my aps2 is complete ill try get pix up soon the high profile scope is a must hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I finally got to see what all the fuss was about the SSG the other day. It's woeful. The plastic feels thin and flimsy, the finish is that cheap, glossy look you expect from bargain basement picnic cutlery. Despite having zinc weights in it, it still feels way too light and a bit fragile.
    It just didn't sit right in my hand and it felt awful to even shoulder. When you put it against the other clone sniper rifles available (BAR10 and L96), there's just no comparison. In fact, it highlights just how bad the SSG is beside it.

I wouldn't poke cow turds with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Wow, ok that changes things alot.

I had forgotten about this thread (Sorry!) 'cause the boards wasnt sending me emails when people were replying... weird. In the meantime I've been looking at the SSG alot, and totally forgot about the L96. But I think I'll be taking another look or two before I settle on anything now.

I'm leaning alot more to the L96 now....

• Advertisement

get the aps2 and the rifle scope from tony you wont be disapointed and kicks the l96 s ass haha

amaughan wrote: »
    get the aps2 and the rifle scope from tony you wont be disapointed and kicks the l96 s ass haha

Whoah now, slow down there.

I'll bet it does, but at 475eur I would expect nothing less.

The L96 is 170, the Steyr is 80. So in fairness they cant be compared, the price gap is too wide. This is only a starter gun, so Im not gonna go crazy and pay for top of the range to find out its not for me...

SolarNexus wrote: »

The L96 is 170, the Steyr is 80. So in fairness they cant be compared, the price gap is too wide. This is only a starter gun, so Im not gonna go crazy and pay for top of the range to find out its not for me...

http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=256 this one you crazy fool haha

amaughan wrote: »
    haha ok my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

SolarNexus wrote: »

Very sensible.

The L96 and the SSG are both reasonable rifles for their price.

Since this thread is supposed to be newie advice, not willy-waving, I'd agree that if you're starting off, buy a low- to mid-price rifle and see how you like the role. As discussed elsewhere, there's more to it than most people think.

The SSG is quite good enough for finding out how you want to play. They're all limited by muzzle velocity and BB ballistics anyway.

You can spend big bucks for quiet, reliability and robustness later.

OzCam wrote: »
    Very sensible.

The L96 and the SSG are both reasonable rifles for their price.

Since this thread is supposed to be newie advice, not willy-waving, I'd agree that if you're starting off, buy a low- to mid-price rifle and see how you like the role. As discussed elsewhere, there's more to it than most people think.

The SSG is quite good enough for finding out how you want to play. They're all limited by muzzle velocity and BB ballistics anyway.

You can spend big bucks for quiet, reliability and robustness later.

try reading back a few posts before you start saying shi*t about willie waving.the ssg is so bad it puts people off the role of the sniper.170 is a great price and a scope is only 20-30 so your sorted ha

Advertisement