Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish name initials

Options
  • 27-09-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Folks,

I am from Sweden, and I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this, but it was the closest I could find in the list, and I am sure there are people here who know the answer:

What are the initials for an Irish name like Jack O'Neill? Is it simply "J O" or should it be "J O'N" or some other construction?

Regards,
    PJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Surfside67 wrote: »
    Folks,

I am from Sweden, and I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this, but it was the closest I could find in the list, and I am sure there are people here who know the answer:

What are the initials for an Irish name like Jack O'Neill? Is it simply "J O" or should it be "J O'N" or some other construction?

Regards,
    PJ

it would be J O N. if it was someone with a Mc in their name like for example John McCarthy it would then J M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Should be J.O N. or J.O'N. for John O Neill.
    ( apostrophy is common but not really correct in English. It indicates an omitted letter in Irish version of the name but not in English therefore is strictly speaking unnecessary)
    And, in my opinion, for John McCarthy etc it should be J.McC. and not J.M

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How to confuse a Swede. :confused:

Advertisement