Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Fan googles and save$$$$££££

Options
  • 26-09-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

For those of you who are goggle lovers but dont want to fork out 165e for a pair you can D.I.Y.

Here is the shopping list and it can all be found in maplin. For under 15e

A mini fan,
    A switch,
    A 6volt battery
    Goggles you wish to modify.

Tools needed.
    These cost a little more but are cheap in LIDL and ALDI
    Solderniron 13e Aldi right now.
    Electric tape, can be found in most sheds.
    Double sided foam tape, any local auto shop has it.
    Some wire and cable ties...found around the place.

Pic, of ingredients.

IMG_0440.jpg

THE FAN, its a small computer fan with three wires and a connecter.
    Here is a pic of it beside a 20cent peice.
    IMG_0441.jpg

Its quite easy to do, First decide wether you wish to have the fans inside the goggles or outside.(this is personal preferance)
    Then decide if you want one or two fans.
    For this first test set i decided on one fan mounted inside.
    Like this.

IMG_0445.jpg

The fan Has 3 wires, Red(positive), Black(Negative) and Yellow.(Earth.)
    Pull the connecter off and cut the yellow wire. Its an earth wire and its not needed but keep the wire for later...(do put some elec tape over it though)

THE BATTERRY!!!
    A 1.5 battery will not do.
    A 3 volt works but a bit slow, nice and quiet though.
    A 6volt is preferable, its louder but works better.(ALSO A 6V will run 2 fans with no speed loss to fans.)
    The fan is quiet but when attached to the goggles it vibrates and becomes louder(not reccomended for night games...)
    Any suggestion on sound proofing welcome, i have tried padded tape and foam.

THE SWITCH.
    There are two kinds switches available to use.
    The first is an on off switch.
    The second is a press to on switch so the fan only works while your pressing the button(no good and unpracticle in my opinion.)

This one fit perfect to the vipers.
    IMG_0449.jpg

The WIRING!!!

The red wire gets soldered to the positive on the battery.
    The Black wire gets soldered to the on side of the switch.
    The yellow wire that you cut off earlier can be used now.
    Solder the waste yellow wire to the negative, then to the off on the switch to complete the circut.
    On should be on, off should be off.

Tidy up the wires and thats it.

IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

legend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

similar to what im looking at doing, though im gonna put the battery somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Fair play, good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Its not the final design, i could route everything differently.
    They were the cheapest set i had for the first mock up.

One thing I forgot the purple sticker on the fan is the blow side, and the blank side is the suck side.... no s*x jokes now!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Excellent job!
    Tried the same mini fan on a full face JT mask a few months ago. Never finished it as I found that I needed to use a 9V battery to get the airflow I wanted. It was a pain to mount the battery which was a bit big and heavy but I never tried a 6V like you suggest.;)

I secured the fan with cable ties and it did work but needed tidying up - ended up buying the ESS ones and never finished the project.

Congrats on the completed job. Great instructions too. Must get a 6V battery to try it.

btw, do you find it loud or ok with the 6V?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You can get 3.6v cr123a's, they are small, two in a row would be quite compact, and you can get rechargeable ones.

Even deal-extreme have them.

Motosam wrote: »
    You can get 3.6v cr123a's, they are small, two in a row would be quite compact, and you can get rechargeable ones.

hit it right on the money, was gonna mount em flat where the strap meets the goggles

The 6v would be fine for day skirmish but not night time.
    The best thing is you can turn them off if you need to sneak.
    I am going to put one on the Flack jacks for those "challenging" times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Motosam wrote: »

Actually, 10 of em just arrived in the post from Dealextreme today (along with other goodies:p)

(runs off to find soldering iron...)

Good idea and not much bigger than an AA together. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

outstanding, theres thinking with your head!:D

• Advertisement

gonna build mine monday :p and break em in next weekend in fingal, provided skapegoat gives me a lift lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just as a note, the speed or rotation is what gives the noise and vibrations. If possible(Probably in FFs) you could use a larger fans at lower speeds, giving the same/more volume with less noise. Also, if you wanted to go a step further you could make a mount for the strap and have the battery and switch at the back of your head and only the fan in the actual googles/mask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I made a similar pair a few months back from falan goggles and the same motors skapegoat has there., theres a slightly larger 12v one available too for about 8euro.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My eyeballs are the only pair I have.

DIY? No thanks. I'll gladly pay 165 to keep my eyeballs intact since once they're gone I can't replace them. Whatever else I may or may not buy, I will not substitute on eye-protection. It's not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Lemming wrote: »

DIY? No thanks. I'll gladly pay 165 to keep my eyeballs intact since once they're gone I can't replace them. Whatever else I may or may not buy, I will not substitute on eye-protection. It's not worth the risk.

but it is a set of airsoft goggles just with a small fan added

What are you on about lemming?
    Its not as if the fan can blow up.
    There are no ball bearings in the construction of the fan(and there are in the ESS)
    I know people who have had the ESS fans fail on them and they have replaced it with this exact fan.
    There is no where on the goggles that a BB can get trough.

Fine if you want to pay 165e for a pair of goggles go ahead but for those who can not afford it this is an alternative and its safe when done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

or the easy solution if you use an jt face mask or head shield buy the JT VORTEX 2 on for your goggles the clip to the out side of most JT goggles alot cheaper than ESS turbo fans and comes higly recommened

http://www.amazon.com/JT-Vortex-Fan/dp/B0002X931W

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3724

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Lemming wrote: »

I'm pretty fussy about what I protect my eyes with too, but this looks like a very low-risk operation even when done badly... The integrity of the goggles don't seem to be overly compromised.

Lads, as for the 3v/6v issue, could you use a selector switch or dimmer switch to select a level instead of just on/off?

im doing it to the 60 euro pair of ess goggles i have to make them completely fog free, no risk

• Registered Users Posts: 10 <-BehindYou

Here's a simple little circuit to add a ten second timer to an anti-fog fan setup...
    http://unconventional-airsoft.com/2003/11/16/momentary-fan-switch/

I'll give it a go....soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Surely there's a way to do this without actually soldering the wire to the battery

yeah you do what im doing to mine, buy a battery holder that has internal solder points and attach it to the strap of your goggles, very neat. if you need i can draw up a diagram of the how you would wire it. i was advised to make up the voltage with more than one battery or the draw would be too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

yeah you do what im doing to mine, buy a battery holder that has internal solder points and attach it to the strap of your goggles, very neat. if you need i can draw up a diagram of the how you would wire it. i was advised to make up the voltage with more than one battery or the draw would be too great.

Yeah if you could post like pics and such of the finished thing... I had my first skirmish on sunday and the fog was a nightmare...

battery boxes will be something like these differ depending on what batteries you decide to go with http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=battery%20holder&source=15 and the fan circuit is a simple one
    FanCircuit.jpg

best of luck

Advertisement