Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ancestry website search?

Options
  • 26-09-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

anyone a member? I have a great grandmother from england and I know her parents names, and her approx DOB but would love to do with a search if anyone is willing? PM me if so! thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

You could try here first, as it's free! :D

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

These are the (incomplete as yet) Birth/Marriage/Death Indexes for England and Wales.

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

anyone a member? I have a great grandmother from england and I know her parents names, and her approx DOB but would love to do with a search if anyone is willing? PM me if so! thx!

Can't you sign up for a free trial? I did once and had to make certain that I went through the membership cancellation process properly, so that they wouldn't take any money from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I'm too nervous that they'll take all my money using the free trial.

I noticed yesterday that you can buy ancestry (and findmypast) vouchers online for about £5, which entitle you to a few credits to use, within about 2 weeks (for ancestry) or longer (for the other). The only problem is that because I don't have a location for the birth in England that leaves me with about 20 hits in 1881.... about 3 vouchers worth. I am considering it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

genie wrote: »
    You could try here first, as it's free! :D

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

These are the (incomplete as yet) Birth/Marriage/Death Indexes for England and Wales.

Good luck. :)

I found that website only a few days ago and it's pretty good alright. I wish my ancestors had uncommon names/ precise DOBs/ location of birth though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm too nervous that they'll take all my money using the free trial.

I noticed yesterday that you can buy ancestry (and findmypast) vouchers online for about £5, which entitle you to a few credits to use, within about 2 weeks (for ancestry) or longer (for the other). The only problem is that because I don't have a location for the birth in England that leaves me with about 20 hits in 1881.... about 3 vouchers worth. I am considering it though :)

During my free trial, I discovered a family tree that some woman with a Chinese surname was putting together. I don't know what relation she is to me, and I have no connections with China whatsoever, but she had details of my great-grandfather etc. I contacted the woman and she never replied - obviously one of my more ignorant relatives.

You never know, you might find that somebody else has already paid for the searches and put your family details on the site.

If you're starting from scratch, it's a pain in the arse paying money over to view somebody else's ancestors, even more so if there are 19 of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement