Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BACK/NECK INJURY & CHRONIC PAIN

Options
  • 26-09-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was involved in a pretty bad car crash just over 2 years ago. I sustained several injuries, the most serious being to my neck and back. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE!

Since the accident I have been for an unreal amount of physio sessions, on numerous medications, pain killers, anti-nausea, anti-depressants, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, morphine patches, you name it and I've taken it. I've been scanned from head to toe! Since the beginning of this year I have been in and out of hospital for nerve block procedures to my neck and back. The back procedure didn't work unfortunately, the neck did for about 3 months.

I'm in constant pain, crying, not sleeping, massive weight gain etc etc. I'm too young for this kind of thing. I'm definitely not as strong mentally as a lot of the posters on here, I just can't cope any more. I feel like my life is passing me by, I'm unable to drive any more and therefore unable to do the job I qualified for and to top it all off I'm ageing rapidly! I am literally going grey overnight.

I can't handle it, the stress is killing me slowly. My family are at a loss as to how to help me. I don't know myself to be honest. What can I do? I need help. All the different doctors and consultants just keep saying "oh it could take a few years for it all to settle down!" Not much use to me now though is it? I think my GP realised a few months ago that things were VERY bad and referred me to a Psychologist, I think the poor man was afraid I'd top myself as soon as I left his surgery, and he wouldn't have been far off. I'm really starting to worry about myself now as I've actually thought about ending things. I know I couldn't do that to my family though. I keep hoping for improvement but it's not forthcoming.....

Sorry this has been so long. Thank you to anyone who has taken to time to read it. Any opinions will be seriously considered. Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Do one thing a day to help you physical/mental health,

go for a swim
    walk to the shop for the paper
    do the crossword
    do yoga,can be tailored to your ability

get all the family to drop around photos and do
    up a scrapbook for everyone for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I am in the same boat as you but things have improved for me mentally [at one stage I was in John of Gods I was so down and overwhelmed by the pain and the complete change in my life].
    Where are you based? If you are in or near Dublin I can recommend a couple of ppl that can help you manage.
    One thing that helps me a bit is exercise. I have to watch what I do so that I don't get hurt myself more but mentally getting out in the air helps me a bit.
    Anyway, PM me if you like anytime - I really know what you are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Trust me I've tried all those things and more......I think I'm turning into a bit of a hopeless case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm so sorry - man if I have a toothache for more than a couple of days I'm a wreck. The only advice I could give you is to try to get a referral to a pain management clinic, and make as much of a "pest" of yourself as you can until you get it - or maybe you've been through that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

So sorry to read about your constant pain. Last year I was diagnosed with ostheo arthiritis in 2 vertebrae of my neck and whilst it is unlikely that the two bad bouts of it that I had were anywhere near your pain I can so understand where you're coming from.

I don't have any magic cures for you but I did want to say I wish you well and hope things improve for you.

Hugs.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies. Like I said I've been through pretty much everything at this stage. I've been attending a pain management clinic for about 9 months but unfortunately it hasn't helped much to date. I'm due back in hospital in the next few weeks for more nerve block procedures, fingers crossed something good comes of it this time.

I have been keeping myself busy as much as possible. I've done a couple of online courses related to my "area of expertise" in order to keep up to date on the industry I'm in as much as possible. I'll be unable to return to the exact job I was doing as it involved a lot of driving and a certain amount of physicality, but I'm hoping to be able to set up something from home eventually. I've also read every single book that Tesco has on sale! I've kept a diary since the accident, it doesn't always make for entertaining reading but I'm doing my best.

As for the medication, it's as if my body is saying "no more". Everything I take makes me sick, not just nauseous but violently ill. Morphine makes me hallucinate and vomit non stop for a few hours, then it knocks me out and I sleep for about 3 days. How do people cope with Long Term Illness??? Some of the posts on here have reduced me to tears. The strength of character that some people possess is inspirational.

I do think maybe sometimes I'm just feeling sorry for myself, that there's always someone worse off, which is of course true....but that doesn't change the situation I'm in. It's not like I'm dying but sometimes it feels like it. Boy I'm getting maudlin now!!!

Thanks again boardies, all suggestions will be considered and all good wishes and happy thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Holding you in prayer.

One small thought. Many painkillers have a rebound effect. Maybe is why these increasing side effects.

google the meds you are on? we always check like that. drs sometimes make errors. A friend with migraine was prescibed zomig; she is on prescription meds for very high blood pressure and has had three tias.

And if venting helps, vent:)

Some of the posts on here have reduced me to tears. The strength of character that some people possess is inspirational.

People are thinking the same about you right now ;)
    I do think maybe sometimes I'm just feeling sorry for myself, that there's always someone worse off, which is of course true....but that doesn't change the situation I'm in. It's not like I'm dying but sometimes it feels like it. Boy I'm getting maudlin now!!!

I've said it before - all suffering is relative. Sure there are people worse off, but there are a LOT of people better off as well. It seems to be like you are suffering 100% of what you can handle, and that's what matters really.
    Thanks again boardies, all suggestions will be considered and all good wishes and happy thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you.
    like sorella says, if venting helps, vent. You're among friends here.

Now I really am reduced to tears. Thank you so much for your comments, you will never know how much I needed to hear something kind and caring today.

an absolute pleasure :)

• Advertisement

Oh pet I understand. Please don't put all of your hopes in the nerve blocks because I have had some and they haven't worked at all. Without trying to sound dramatic, its pretty devastating that they haven't worked for me. Actually, I think nerve blocks are such a cop out on behalf of the medical profession - they aren't fixing you just making it so you are unable to feel what is wrong with you.
    Have you looked at learning anything that isn't to do with your usual job? What do you think about alternative therapies? I am studying that sort of thing at the moment and hopefully I will be able to treat myself... deciding to do that has given me a bit of purpose at the very least.
    I also have difficulty with medication. Most don't work for me anymore so I limit what I take...this has had a good effect on my mental health as my body isn't processing tonnes of drugs all the time. As well as that I feel like I've taken some ownership of my life again and I'm not so overwhelmed anymore.
    It is completely understandable why you feel so **** but it IS possible for you to make things a bit better for yourself mentally at least. 2 years ago I spent a lot of time sitting in my wardrobe with the door closed crying - I don't do that anymore. I still have an awful lot of pain, my life is 100% different than it was before, I've lost a lot of 'friends' and I can't work and I am beyond broke - BUT I'm not sitting in my wardrobe crying anymore. I have a point here somewhere :) I guess what I mean is something like that saying is - if you keep doing the same thing you can't expect different results.
    You are stronger than you think.

Thanks for all the replies so far, it's amazing the effect some kind words can have. I've got a query for anyone that suffers with chronic back.neck pain due to physical injury.

I've been advised not to participate in either yoga or pilates by my consultant. I really need to do something though before I seize up completely. I've tried swimming and couldn't do it because of the pain. I can't walk very far, can walk for about 10 minutes only.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do for some form of exercise? When the consultant told me to avoid certain things I asked him what he would suggest I do and he came up with nothing. All I got was a shrug of the shoulders and the answer was "sorry, I just don't know what to tell you"......fantastic answer!!

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and of course considered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Josephine54

Oh pet I understand. Please don't put all of your hopes in the nerve blocks because I have had some and they haven't worked at all. Without trying to sound dramatic, its pretty devastating that they haven't worked for me. Actually, I think nerve blocks are such a cop out on behalf of the medical profession - they aren't fixing you just making it so you are unable to feel what is wrong with you.
    Have you looked at learning anything that isn't to do with your usual job? What do you think about alternative therapies? I am studying that sort of thing at the moment and hopefully I will be able to treat myself... deciding to do that has given me a bit of purpose at the very least.
    I also have difficulty with medication. Most don't work for me anymore so I limit what I take...this has had a good effect on my mental health as my body isn't processing tonnes of drugs all the time. As well as that I feel like I've taken some ownership of my life again and I'm not so overwhelmed anymore.
    It is completely understandable why you feel so **** but it IS possible for you to make things a bit better for yourself mentally at least. 2 years ago I spent a lot of time sitting in my wardrobe with the door closed crying - I don't do that anymore. I still have an awful lot of pain, my life is 100% different than it was before, I've lost a lot of 'friends' and I can't work and I am beyond broke - BUT I'm not sitting in my wardrobe crying anymore. I have a point here somewhere :) I guess what I mean is something like that saying is - if you keep doing the same thing you can't expect different results.
    You are stronger than you think.

Hi chronicpain & littlefriend and everyone else here, I really understand what you must be going through and I really sympathise with you and everyone who is enduring such pain. I am going through such awful pain in my neck/shoulder. Went to the Physio about 9 times since Christmas last and a Osteopath twice this month and due a visit today :(. I am waiting to have an MRI scan done but as there are no Open Scanners in the Republic I am hoping to travel to Belfast. It is just so hard to endure the pain sometimes and practically impossible to work (I work at home at a desk which totally exacerbates the condition). I have been prescribed Difene & Protium as stomach can't tolerate Difene. It was really great to have come across this thread and meet similar suffers. Take care and I sincerely hope that you do get relief very soon. Jo x

welcome to boards Josephine, sorry it couldn't be under happier circumstances :)

Hi chronicpain & littlefriend and everyone else here, I really understand what you must be going through and I really sympathise with you and everyone who is enduring such pain. I am going through such awful pain in my neck/shoulder. Went to the Physio about 9 times since Christmas last and a Osteopath twice this month and due a visit today :(. I am waiting to have an MRI scan done but as there are no Open Scanners in the Republic I am hoping to travel to Belfast. It is just so hard to endure the pain sometimes and practically impossible to work (I work at home at a desk which totally exacerbates the condition). I have been prescribed Difene & Protium as stomach can't tolerate Difene. It was really great to have come across this thread and meet similar suffers. Take care and I sincerely hope that you do get relief very soon. Jo x

Hi Josephine, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through awful pain too, but as you've probably realised unfortunately there are lots of us out there.

I went through a lot of physio, in the end she said she felt she was making me worse so advised me to stop. I got an MRI done too, luckily enough I have health insurance and the cost was covered by that. If it hadn't been covered I think I would have had to pay between 400 and 650 euro. So if you have the money it can be done down here and probably in the morning once you're willing to pay. It's an absolute disgrace IMO. The MRI showed up all the physical aspects of my injuries, yet over 2 years down the line there has been no improvement, despite having numerous different medical things done to me.

At the moment I find the best thing to alleviate my pain is Thermacare heat patches and a few codeine based painkillers (sometimes these make me sick but its worth it for the pain relief). The heat patches are great, nobody knows you have one stuck on, you can wear them overnight in bed and everything. A pack of two cost anywhere from 5.20 to 10.20 believe it or not, all depending on which chemist you go to. It's easier than trying to strap a hot water bottle to your neck.....believe me I've tried.

My problem at the moment is that the pain is stopping me from doing any physical exercise and I'm starting to look like a blimp. I really need to do something. I can't swim, do yoga or pilates, I can only walk for VERY short periods of time, about 10 minutes at most. I'm totally stuck for an answer so if you or anyone else can help then please let me know.

Chin up Josephine, and of course everyone else on here. Thanks for the input so far guys.

I got an MRI done too, luckily enough I have health insurance and the cost was covered by that. If it hadn't been covered I think I would have had to pay between 400 and 650 euro. So if you have the money it can be done down here and probably in the morning once you're willing to pay. It's an absolute disgrace IMO.

Sorry I think that the MRI comment maybe didn't come out right. What I mean is that it's a disgrace that in this country, in this day and age, that people are treated differently depending on whether or not they have health insurance or enough personal finances to pay to "skip the queue". If you're sick and in pain you should be seen ASAP. Money just shouldn't come into it. I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere saying exactly the same things so I won't labour the point.......And obviously I realise as I have health insurance maybe I'm not the best person to argue this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I am waiting to have an MRI scan done but as there are no Open Scanners in the Republic

Hey there.

Im recovering from my fourth back operation in 3 years here myself. Im not sure what you mean by open MRI scanners, but my VHI (plan D) pays for me to get an MRI in Northwood imaging in Santry. The last scan I had, i rang on the Monday and had the scan that Thursday.

I appreciate not everyone has VHI but maybe its worth looking into.

PM me for the phone number or just Google it, its the first result.

OP, i understand your pain, I hope things work out for you. There is a consultant in one of the Dublin hospitals, St Lukes i think, a Dr Patrick ?, i really don't remember his name (he was on Pat Kenny a few months back). Apparently he is a genius when it comes to treating chronic pain and pain management. It may be worth looking into, maybe someone on here knows the Doctor I'm talking.

Hi everyone, many thanks for all your posts - it really is good to know that others understand and care. I need to have a MRI scan done with an Open scanner because apart from being very claustraphobic I also am very overweight :(. Unfortunately up until very, very recently these machines were available in several of the hospitals and private clinics, but suddenly this is no longer the case and my only option is Belfast. Just returned from a visit with the Osteopath but he decided not to give me treatment as my condition is very acute. However, in the meantime, he has urged me to see a Physician in Dublin who he feels can really help with my pain. This Doc works with International Athletes and the treatment the Osteopath has recommended, is an injection into the affected area to alleviate the pain. Maybe it won't achieve anything, but I'd try anything in an effort to reduce the pain level. Thanks again, Jo

Thanks a mil for your suggestions and good wishes. I must try the Thermacare hot patches, up until now I have only used the Thermacare Hot & Cold packs. While they are soothing, they do not appear to help the problem. In relation to exercise, any chance you could use an exercise bike [stationary style] for gentle exercise or would that just aggrevate the condition? I can understand the frustration you must be feeling!! Surely at this stage a Physio could give you some advice. Take care, Jo

Hiya, I agree that the thermacare patches are good - you can also get ones for your lower back which you wear kind of like a belt under your clothes. They come in different sizes - the first one I bought was size Small - I was thinking how the hell do big men wear these as I could barely close it. Anyway, just check the size before you buy them. Really good when you have to go outside in the cold.
    Anyway, Josephine54 you should go to see this guy http://www.balance-health-clarity.com/...he is based in Rathmines and he'll make you have less pain. He might not cure you but your pain will be lessened.
    Also, I rang this place www.hermitageclinic.ie last week...I spoke to a guy in the emergency dept [Dave Foley]. He arranged for me to have and MRI the following day and an apt with a neurosurgeon the day after...the neuro guy has referred me on to get nerve conduction [?] tests done before I return to him so he can give me some options. Pretty good result from 1 phone call. Give them a go - can't do any harm anyway!

• Advertisement

Yes, I find that the Thermal patches are helpful and soothing. I have a appointment with a Neurophysiologist [specialises in Sports Medicine] next Friday, so hopefully he can do something for me. Any idea what nerve conduction is? Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions.

A nerve conduction study (NCS) is a test commonly used to evaluate the function, especially the ability of electrical conduction, of the motor and sensory nerves of the human body.

Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) is a common measurement made during this test. The term NCV often is used to mean the actual test, but this is improper use of the term since velocity is only one measurement in the test suite.

Nerve conduction studies are used mainly for evaluation of paresthesias (numbness, tingling, burning) and/or weakness of the arms and legs. The type of study is determined by the problem. Some of the common disorders which can be diagnosed by nerve conduction studies are:

* Peripheral neuropathy
    * Carpal tunnel syndrome
    * Ulnar neuropathy
    * Guillain-Barré syndrome
    * Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy
    * Spinal disc herniation

Nerve conduction studies are very helpful to diagnose certain diseases of the nerves of the body. The test is not invasive, but can be a little painful due to the electrical shocks. However, the shocks are associated with such a low amount of electrical current that they are not dangerous to anyone. Patients with a permanent pacemaker or other such implanted stimulators such as deep brain stimulators or spinal cord stimulators must tell the examiner prior to the study. This does not prevent the study, but special precautions are taken.

The nerve conduction study is sometimes combined with electromyography.

Other special nerve conduction studies that are occasionally performed include double stimuli and repetitive stimulation.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerve_conduction_study

Best of luck with it Josephine.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

chronicpain,

Try Rolfing.

It wont cure you but it has a good chance of truly helping and is really unlikely to make things any worse and is a lot better than surgery.

Can you PM me for more info? I can PM you.

take care,
    T.

hi everyone,

been back in hospital so have been incommunicado for a while. things not going so well lately. don't really know what to say.....financial pressures are adding to the stress of being in constant pain, or maybe the constant pain is adding to the stress, I'm not sure.

Anyway I read up on that Rolfing thing and it looks very interesting and therefore very costly. If money was no object at the moment i'd be all on for it but unfortunately the wolf is at the door (literally) so the only treatments I can get are ones fully covered up front by my health insurance.....and rolfing isn't one of them. they'd rather pay thousands to a private hospital every few weeks for nerve blocks. Go figure!

anyway hope my fellow "chronic pain sufferers" are keeping well and not doing too badly lately.

Hi chronicpain, I am so sorry to hear that you're still in constant pain and with the financial pressures obviously adding to it :( Have they given you any indication of a way forward towards managing the pain level? I got my MRI scan done in Belfast last week which showed up discs 4,5,6 & 7 in trouble with severe prolapse at no. 5. There appears to be some problem with a specific nerve which is causing me great pain. Saw a Consultant in Blackrock Clinic on Mon who has prescribed new meds and physio 3 times a week. Have to go back to him in 3 weeks for more specific attention to the nerve. Only 2nd day of new regime but no relief yet :(. Please feel free to PM me for a private chat or messages. Take care, Jo xx

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

chronicpain
    Guest and everybody,

i was in a car crash 3 year ago by a hit and run driver who left me on side road, and i suffered neck, shoulder, back, right arm was smashed and lots nerve damage all the right side of my body, now "chronic pain guest" i no exactlly what you are going through as i have gone through it all the past 3 year, im on 35 pills a day costing me 2,000 e a month, thank god for medical card and i have been to lots doc;s specialists and had lots procedures done, mri's, like nerve blocks etc etc you name it i have had it done. I was a graphic designer before the crash and now i cant use my right arm and i have no power or feeling in it so i get very down and depressed over that and not been able to go back to work.

I am currently seeing a pain specialist in dublin and he has suggested doing a "SCS Spinal Cord Stimulator" if you google it and take a look, its for chronic pain and i have had 4 trials of it done each lasting a week and i found it good except when i turn the device off, the pain cums bcak and hits me like a train! im waiting now to have the whole device implanted into my body, now its not a cure for your pain but it masks your pain by sending electricial impulses around your body and instead of feeling pain you will feel tingling all around your body or your affected area's,
    If you want to no anymore info or anything you pm me or post here

Keep yer chin up guys and keep smiling even on the bad days when im confined to the bed!!!

Lorr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hey friends,

I am recovering from my fourth back operation in three years and heading for a fifth before xmas. My Dr recently put me on a new nerve blocker called "Lyrica". Only on them for a few days but the leg pain has eased.

She also gave me a pain killer called DF118. Now this stuff is heavy, i only took one when the pain was really bad but it worked. But what i mean by "it worked", it knocked me out.

Anyone know if there is any support groups around the country for people suffering from chronic pain?

Caoimhín

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bidd

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hey friends,

Anyone know if there is any support groups around the country for people suffering from chronic pain?

Caoimhín

Hi,

I also suffer with Chronic Pain. Have a look at the Irish Chronic Pain Association's website for more info. http://http://www.chronicpainireland.org/

They run a Support Phone Line and also hold Workshops on Pain Management.

If it's ok with the mods I will put this link into the Web Resources section also.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hey friends,

I am recovering from my fourth back operation in three years and heading for a fifth before xmas. My Dr recently put me on a new nerve blocker called "Lyrica". Only on them for a few days but the leg pain has eased.

She also gave me a pain killer called DF118. Now this stuff is heavy, i only took one when the pain was really bad but it worked. But what i mean by "it worked", it knocked me out.

Caoimhín
    Caoimhin,
    I was put on "lyricia 2 years ago and had to take say 75 for a week and then they escalated the dose to 100 then 150 then 200 and they i got very bad side effects so they stopped me taking them and started to do nerve blocks and Biers blocks and they didint work, i am currentlty taking DF118 and at first i was like a zombie also and didnt know where i was and i had to take 2 of these tablets 3 times a day(6 pills in total) but i couldnt manage that so i just take 2 per day and i can manage that on a good day but some days i get awful sick as im on alot more medication..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I don't see any reference to Fibromyalgia in this thread (I admit I only skimmed down it and then did a search and maybe somebody spelt it wrong).

Fibromyalgia is often triggered by a road traffic accident and injuries to the neck and the like.

It can be useful when people have a specific name for their condition as they can then look up specific information on the condition rather than general information which may or may not be suitable (I found that myself with ME - much of the information and advice I was given may be suitable for most of the population with the symptom I was suffering from at that time e.g. exercise but wasn't suitable for people with ME. I've found it very comforting to get know others with my condition - I imagine others could also benefit from getting to know others with their condition).

Advertisement