Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an oak door frame be modified

Options
  • 26-09-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I have a door (2/3 glass panel - lower section solid) with a glass panel to be put in, glass was cut too long for the opening in the door, so need to see if we can take a piece off door to fit in glass.
    Glass toughened so not an easy job to get that downsized.
    Its an unfinished door, not sure if its solid or engineered.

Can I take a piece off the panel that would hold the glass in place (at the bottom of the panel?)
    Would this damage the structure of the door.
    its approx 20mm that needs to be removed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Hi, not really sure what part you are talking about removing. Any chance of a pic so we have a better idea? I think you are making the job huge by restructuring the door. Surely you can get the glass cut professionaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

I have a door (2/3 glass panel - lower section solid) with a glass panel to be put in, glass was cut too long for the opening in the door, so need to see if we can take a piece off door to fit in glass.
    Glass toughened so not an easy job to get that downsized.
    Its an unfinished door, not sure if its solid or engineered.

Can I take a piece off the panel that would hold the glass in place (at the bottom of the panel?)
    Would this damage the structure of the door.
    its approx 20mm that needs to be removed.

Hi Limerick build,

I'd put a small groove into the top of the frame just enough for the glass to fit into it then when you are putting the glass in put it in the top first.

If you turn the door upside down and either run a router along it I'd guess with an 8mm bit then take out what ever is left with a 6mm chisel

SLF

Advertisement