Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MOT for Classic Imported Cars

Options
  • 26-09-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looking to import a 1971 MGbGT from the UK. I do not know a lot about cars but was thinking on insisting that the car was MOT'd before I buy it. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

An MOT is the minimum requirement. It does not guarentee anything really............ I have seen cars with new 12 MOTs that were crocks. Some cars seem to pass too easly. However MOT reports can show up areas of concern or where work that was needed has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Davidoh wrote: »
    Looking to import a 1971 MGbGT from the UK. I do not know a lot about cars but was thinking on insisting that the car was MOT'd before I buy it. Any opinions?
    Id wouldnt do any harm,at least you would know the car is up to the standard at least,though as has been said ,its not the be all and and all.

Theres no need for an NCT in ireland once the car is over 30 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Get the car inspected by a real professional that YOU will pay (like these: http://www.classicassessments.com/). It will never give you an absolute guarantee but well worth the expense.

I bought my Jaguar in the UK with a brand new MOT (I was even there for the MOT) and ended up driving with zero rear brakes (had to replace both pads and disks within days), zero hand brake, cancer inducing emissions and one functional carb only. AFAIAC those MOT folks are a bunch of incompetents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

have to agree.... An MOT is the bare minimum really....doesn't even guarantee you will make it to the ferry port....

I also had an MOTed car with zero meat on the brake pads, brake pedal to the floor on the M6 :eek: - also had no lights on another MOTed car...

Best option is to do a full inspection (either yourself or by a pro...)

Eric318 wrote: »
    Get the car inspected by a real professional that YOU will pay (like these: http://www.classicassessments.com/). It will never give you an absolute guarantee but well worth the expense.

I bought my Jaguar in the UK with a brand new MOT (I was even there for the MOT) and ended up driving with zero rear brakes (had to replace both pads and disks within days), zero hand brake, cancer inducing emissions and one functional carb only. AFAIAC those MOT folks are a bunch of incompetents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Dusty1609

If you are not able to assess the car yourself I would forget about the MOT and get an RAC or AA inspection done you don't have to be a member to use the service and you don't need to be present so it can be done before you agree to buy the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

In my experience, the AA will not do inspections on classics. Too risky.

You can try these: http://www.auteco.co.uk/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Nowt wrong with the MOT. There's just a misunderstanding on what it is and what it isn't.

It's a set list of testable items, most of which are safety related although many other testable items have been added over the years.

All the MOT does is state whether each testable item passed or failed on the day at the time of testing. It does not require that components have extended lengths of future lifespan (you can move to Japan for that expensive nonsense), although sometimes a tester in noticing something may put it down on the advisory sheet.

Wear and tear on some components is sometimes down to the tester's discretion so what might be unacceptable play in a component to a young tester used to testing new cars, is perfectly acceptable play in a component to an old tester who is familiar with old vehicles.

All the testing has to be done without dismantling and that includes not being able to remove wheel trims and the like. So some things can be harder to spot.

What it doesn't do, is tell when the gear box is knackered, the spare tyre is bald or if the speedo works.

Anyway, like most things, there are good testers and bad ones. ;)

If you are splashing out a considerable sum on a car and you know nothing about cars then I suggest, like others, that you pay to have a full independent inspection of the vehicle by someone who is knowledgeable about the model you're interested in.

Advertisement