Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Constructive Eviction" - Any personal experiences on either side?

Options
  • 26-09-2008 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I recently came across the term "Constructive Eviction" it refers to the action or lack therof of a landlord to render property uninhabitable.

I got to thinking how could a Landlord do this? not in the moral sense but the real sense.

If for example there were people illegally occupying/long term trespassing on property what could a Landlord do or refrain from doing (legal or illegally) to make the property uninhabitable - Stink bombs, flood the land in question, loud noises at night?!

Any inventive ideas or personal experiences (on either side of the fence) are of interest.
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If they're illegally trespassing, surely the gardai would intervene?
    (unless of course they're illegally trespassing in caravans, but that's an AH thread if ever I saw one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would imagine there are easier ways for a landlord to evict people, for example, he can say he plans to refurbish the property and you have to move out.

His refurbishments can then be a new lick of paint.

It's easy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The OP said illegally though, so i'm guessing the person on/in the property isn't and wasn't a tenant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

A few favourites are:- cutting off the electricity supply, cutting off the water supply. I heard of one case where a landlord disconnected and removed a tenants toilet! Another one is taking away the steps from the front door. I know two tenants who left when their electricity supply was cut off by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cut off the electricity, phone, water, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement