Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unix tradition

Options
  • 26-09-2008 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

What do 'bin', 'etc', 'var', 'lib', 'proc', 'sbin', 'dev', etc. mean?

Where should I install programs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Let the package manager worry about that! Even if you do install from source, you rarely need to alter the defaults.

I'll *try* and explain! :D

• bin is the place for some binaries that all users can use
    • etc is home to many configuration files
    • var is home to printer spooling, log files and other stuff
    • lib is where most libraries live
    • proc provides system info to other parts of the system
    • sbin is where programs only the root user/a user with sudo access can execute
    • dev contains devices (/dev/sda1 is the first SATA drive, for example)

Needless to say, there are a lot better explanations than this online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Nice simple explanation here (which I should read myself):

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/

Some pretty pictures of it here:

Google Image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Nice simple explanation here (which I should read myself):

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/

Some pretty pictures of it here:

Google Image

Thanks for that.

I found it very hard to search for this kind of stuff on google.

If you type "var bin etc proc..." into google, you just get a load of pages with unix addresses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smeg_for_brains

You may also want to check out:
    http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

which is a page from an online guide. When you are finished with this page, go to the bottom and click on "home" to go to the contents page of this Linux Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

You forgot to mention /usr; it took me ages to find out that it is an acronym for unix system resources not "user". This is the place a lot of programs install to.
    If you are just setting up your system google for info on what partitions to make. One of the best advice I got was to keep your home folder in a different partition. That way you can do a clean update by formatting the rest of the file system.
    If you are going to use a database like postgresql you might want to but /var on it's own partition too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

KAGY wrote: »
    You forgot to mention /usr; it took me ages to find out that it is an acronym for unix system resources not "user".
    Had no idea of that, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

KAGY wrote: »
    You forgot to mention /usr; it took me ages to find out that it is an acronym for unix system resources not "user". This is the place a lot of programs install to.

Was not aware of that either.

I also found out just recently, if you play a Youtube video, it stores a copy in /tmp until you close down your browser. It's a handy way to grab downloads, just copy them out of /tmp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Came across this great article on delicious:

http://tuxradar.com/content/take-linux-filesystem-tour/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I also found out just recently, if you play a Youtube video, it stores a copy in /tmp until you close down your browser. It's a handy way to grab downloads, just copy them out of /tmp.

That's a handy one alright. I've used it too.

and +1 to KAGY's suggestion - put /home on its own partition. When I first built a linux system I didn't - next time I did. Now I can change my distro/reinstall from scratch without losing any data.

Advertisement