Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi y'all, I'm landing in Melbourne 29th of Oct don't know anybody there or anything and have nowhere lined up to stay, anyone got any recommendations of a hostel I could stay in for about a week or so till I get on my feet. I see there are tons of them on-line but I'd rather get a recommendation off someone here rather then jumping into some kip of a place. Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated too.I'm already going to the international rules game and will also take in the Melbourne Cup. I assume it'll be easy enough get tickets for the match but will the races be a different story?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'd book accom fairly soon. Melbourne is basically mental for the week of the melbourne cup. Hostels may not be quite as bad as hotels, but I reckon they'll be seriously busy. Might be very hard to get a bed for a full week.

You should get tickets for the Int' Rules no bother. You can still get tics for the Melb Cup now, but I'd buy them now also, as apparently they do sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

cupthehand wrote: »

Hands up, baby hands up, gimme your heart, gimme gimme your heart gimme gimme!

Right, to the matter at hand!

Mic and bevs hostel in southbank is handy for meeting peeps and becoming mates with them, but it is a little dirty but not thjat bad.

I stayed in melbourne backpackers and hated it but you might like it there, i dunno tbh.

Both the above have bars attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yeah, this is the place to stay. i think it might be a couple of bucks above the average price of a hostel but it's well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Thanks guys just checked there and Base is booked out for a few days at the start of November so would prefer to get a place and stay there for my trip rather than changing hostels in the middle of it all.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys just checked there and Base is booked out for a few days at the start of November so would prefer to get a place and stay there for my trip rather than changing hostels in the middle of it all.

How long are you planning on staying in Melbourne for?

How long are you planning on staying in Melbourne for?[/QUOTE
    ~7 days 10 days max landing about the 29th Oct but am heading to Sydney to meet some mates 1st week in Novemeber around the 7th

~7 days 10 days max landing about the 29th Oct but am heading to Sydney to meet some mates 1st week in Novemeber around the 7th

Ok so a hostel is the way to go.

There are others around St.Kilda that are supposed to be great fun but not too sure what the hostels themselves are like in terms of being clean, secure etc.

Base is the only one I have experience of, as I only stayed in a hostel for about three nights in Melbourne. I'm sure someone else will come along with an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Just across the road from Base in St Kilda is Home Traveller's Motel. We spend about 3 weeks there, it's really nice, great staff, very clean, good kitchen etc. It's a bit more grown up than some other hostels I've been to but close to all the pubs and clubs and has nice common room, wi-fi and bbq area. And a lovely Irish lady owns the place.

*edit* and it's also a bit cheaper than the others in the area :)

the dee wrote: »
    Just across the road from Base in St Kilda is Home Traveller's Motel. We spend about 3 weeks there, it's really nice, great staff, very clean, good kitchen etc. It's a bit more grown up than some other hostels I've been to but close to all the pubs and clubs and has nice common room, wi-fi and bbq area. And a lovely Irish lady owns the place.

*edit* and it's also a bit cheaper than the others in the area :)

thanks for that but that place is even more booked out than Base lol It must really have a good reputation :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Urban Central is a great hostel.
    You can walk into the city centre in about 10 mins, or hop on a tram right outside the door. You can get a tram to St Kilda from right outside.
    There's a really nice atmosphere in the hostel. When I was there they had comedians in on a Sun night in the bar which was great.
    Also...free pasta and rice! :):):)

Advertisement