Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Ribs

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I think I cracked a couple of ribs recently (note: drinking and trampolining aren't a good combination). I've heard it isn't really necessary to go a doctor about it as there's nothing they can really do- is this right?
    How long in general do they take to heal up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I think I cracked a couple of ribs recently (note: drinking and trampolining aren't a good combination). I've heard it isn't really necessary to go a doctor about it as there's nothing they can really do- is this right?
    Thanks

I'd rather a doc told me that I'd broken them before I let time do the healing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 EI-EAY

I did that a few years ago, Doc said there is no treatment, she wrapped up my rib cage with a bandage and told me to take pain killers, Cant remember how long it took to heal, but it hurt laughing and going up stairs i remember that well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

couple a weeks iirc.

bitch to breathe at times tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, not a whole lot they can do, but if you've really ****ed yourself up you could have done some internal damage.

They can put a form of "brace" around your ribs which prevents them from expanding too much, but the compression increases your risk of contracting respiratory diseases, so they tend not to use them.

Probably a good idea to avoid drinking and drugs for a while though until they heal. Drinking in particular is an anaesthetic which might cause you to do further damage cos you can't feel the pain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Done it myself, broke a couple of the fcukers. I was told there's nothing can be done. As I hadn't punctured a lung they sent me on my way. Took months for mine to heal properly.

Go to your doctor and get it checked though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Did it myself at the start of the year. Definitely get it checked, as others said it can do some internal damage. Apparently the practice of taping up ribs is gone now, because it can actually do further damage. I was given anti-inflammatories, took about six weeks to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I wouldn't bother getting it checked. If you had broken a rib fully, you'd know all about it. I've cracked and broken a few, and there's nothing much that can be done medically (bar the aforementioned bracing, which is rarely done anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Thanks

Go to a doctor ... let a medical practictioner tell you the ribs are broken or not.

If you've had a drunken trampoline accident, there may be other damage that you simply aren't aware of, that no online forum is going to help you with.

I hope you feel better ... I know from bitter experience, cracked ribs can be painful.

I think the best advice you'll get here is simply go to your Doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement