Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone switched from VHI to Hibernian Health(also known as Vivas Health)?Let me know

Options
  • 25-09-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I have been with VHI the last 21 years and have Plan B Options.

I am considering changing over to Hibernian Health as their premium is alot cheaper ,they offer more refunds in terms of day-to-day expenses and also offer some more unique benefits for a lower price. With VHI the price keeps on increasing with no additional benefits.

Can anyone advise if they have switched over to Hibernian or if they are currently with Hibernian what they think of them overall? I am totally confused whether it is worth to switch over or is it safer and better to stay with VHI?

Also does anyone know if Hibernian is better in terms of maternity cover?

And which company is better long term in terms of starting a family?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments

I switched from VHI to VIVAS a few years ago, purely on cost terms. I have had no dealings with the claims service of Hibernian so I can't comment on whether they are good, bad or indifferent.

VIVAS offered student rates for someone on my policy up to the age of 21. This made a huge difference on the premium.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'safer or better' but I am sure there are many people who feel a little apprehensive about moving from one insurer to another. In my opinion this plays into the hands of the existing (more expensive) insurer.

With regard to maternity and starting a family cover, I can't help you there. The biggest anomaly I found between the three insurers at the time of changing, was their policy on adoptions. From memory, VHI had the best policy as they covered the child from the date of adoption and you did not have a 6 month waiting period before cover was granted for the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

hi Mary. Like you I was 20 odd years with VHI and although I never had any problems with them per se the cost of cover was astronomical at teh end. I only ever had to use VHI for the birth of my 4 children. They don't cover all of it if you go private as I did. They'll cover you for a certain portion of your obstetrician's fee and a fixed amount for your hospital stay. That covered me for three days semi private in Mount Carmel. No probs settling the bill either.
    In the last year or so VHI was costing me nearly 2k with the 4 kids covered. It was time to call a halt and I switched to Vivas/Hibernian about 2 years ago. Easy to switch-only a phone call was needed. I only insured my hubby and myself. Most of the financial gurus have said it's a waste of time insuring children as there is no private children's hospital and few enough private beds in public hospitals for kids. Cover for me and hubby costs about 1k a year and I pay monthly. He was in hospital recently for a minor procedure and I just got the bill today. Everything was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mary byrne

Thanks for your reply.

The main reason I am considering changing is because of the cost as VHI costs keep on increasing.

What I am concerned about is the fact that although Hibernian say by phone that I will receive the same cover as with VHI for the first year, knowing the irish system I am somewhat concerned that I may run into problems changing over and that you may only find these things out by changing over.

Although the price is very good and the benefits and refunds seem better, I wonder if VHI is still better as it has been the longest here in Ireland compared to any other health insurance company and up until now I have had no problems with them except the price and you don't get much back from day to day expenses.

From speaking to Hibernian by phone, I find that their customer care appear to be alot younger and maybe less mature than VHI which is also a concern but there again I rarely would need to call them.

It is tricky to know whether to pay that bit extra for VHI and get less from day to day expenses but more so whether it is worth to take the risk and change in the hope that the cover will be more or less the same.

What you think?

Have a look at the Hibernian website and it will give you a breakdown of benefits and plans. Ours is the "we-plan" I think. To me it's like car insurance-you wouldn't think anything of changing if the price wasn't right-would you? My main need in a plan at this stage of my life-hubby in his early 50s and me in my 40s- is that we're covered for the Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private for heart ops! I don't much care about the rest.

One of my aunts never joined VHI. She puts what would be her premium into the credit union and if she's ever in need of an op can get the funds from there. Works for her.

Hi again,

It is amazing to get a reply from you again and it has helped a little so far.

I have already checked out the Hibernian website in detail and I guess you are right it does depend on your needs in life which is why I am considering.

I am in my early 30s and so is my husband and we are thinking of starting a family soon however I am not sure which company will cover me better for maternity for e.g in terms of hospital care I will get the same cover as VHI for the first year(equivalent to VHI Plan B Option), however Hibernian seem to offer more refunds on GP visits and consultants and this might make a difference as from VHI I never seem to get anything back.

But I am a bit confused as to how to do my maternity i.e public, semi-private or private or combined which might explain why I cant make a comprehensive decision and also in some ways VHI have a better customer care to answer questions and they have a babytalk helpline during pregnancy aswell.

Would you be able to advise which option is best for maternity ie public or private etc and which company is better then for cover?

It would help me greatly to make my decision soon.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Well I was with VHI for all of my pregnancies so I'm not sure about the Hibernian maternity cover. When I took my plan out with Hibernian or Vivas as it was I was hoping to God I was past all that!
    I just had a really quick look at VHI and Hibernian maternity benefits-both cover you in full in a public hospital. Hibernian cover you for 3450 in a private hospital. That will get you 3/4 days as far as I remember. VHI cover is 3400 so not much difference there. Both cover you for 869 consultant fees.
    Just look at the premium for VHI as I didn't look at that. We Plan with Hibernian is 500 per adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I changed on price, dead easy to do so and investigated their benefits price for price and vivas were much better whereas quinn had same price but less benefits.

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks again for your reply.

I think I am convinced definitely that Hibernian is the best on cost(based on the responses from other people aswell).
    My only consideration at this point is whether I will be looked after better with VHi customer care in regards to maternity queries as their customer care seem to be more mature and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to have the Babytalk line with VHI throughout my pregnancy to speak to a qualified mid-wife.

As you may have quessed I am a bit of a worrier so this is why I thought it might be beneficial to have this Babytalk or do most of your queries get answered by going to the GP or consultant? What do you think of the idea of the Babytalk with VHI as opposed to not having it with Hibernian?

Also as you have been to through it all, do you recommend it is best to go to a private hospital to have a baby as Mount Carmel(the only private hospital)would not be close to where I am living so I am wondering what is the best way to have the baby? And is it true that if you go to a public hospital you wont get a private room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

mary byrne wrote: »
    Hi Lizzy,

Thanks again for your reply.

I think I am convinced definitely that Hibernian is the best on cost(based on the responses from other people aswell).
    My only consideration at this point is whether I will be looked after better with VHi customer care in regards to maternity queries as their customer care seem to be more mature and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to have the Babytalk line with VHI throughout my pregnancy to speak to a qualified mid-wife.

As you may have quessed I am a bit of a worrier so this is why I thought it might be beneficial to have this Babytalk or do most of your queries get answered by going to the GP or consultant? What do you think of the idea of the Babytalk with VHI as opposed to not having it with Hibernian?

Also as you have been to through it all, do you recommend it is best to go to a private hospital to have a baby as Mount Carmel(the only private hospital)would not be close to where I am living so I am wondering what is the best way to have the baby? And is it true that if you go to a public hospital you wont get a private room?

Hibernian have an 24/7 Nurse On Call telephone facility for any medical query you might have.

You sound like a worrier-I'm not! As darragh said there is a help line provided by Hibernian. I have never used it or the VHI one. My advice would be get a decent pregnancy book and read that and above all else quit worrying as it wears you down.

If a hospital is not within easy reach forget it. Mount Carmel was only 10 mins in the car for me and in a hurry you could do it in 5! You can go private in a public hospital but you will only get a private room if one is available on the day. You see your doctor in his private rooms and he will deliver the baby-at least that was the case with my 4.

Don't forget that if you join Hibernian now then there is a waiting period before you can claim for maternity cover. It might be near to a year.

PS. Go to a male obstetrician is my advice. They're generally much more sympathetic than the women!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thinking of switching myself, I am currently on vhi plan E, however as I am in my early 30's, not really sure this plan is worth it for myself at this time. My question is if I switch and downgrade my cover can I switch back up automatically to the top cover plan further down to road.

Secondly do I have to wait until my current cover is up for renewal to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ring and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

Currently weighing up which insurer to join at the moment - had been thinking of VHI or Quinn.......but after reading this i think i'll give Vivas a go..

BTW, waiting periods for maternity cover for all insurers is 52 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

First of all, switching is really easy. If you are presently covered for Plan B with VHI, you switch to equivalent we plan level 2 with Hibernian Health without having waiting period for all benefits, including maternity cover at that level. If you wish to upgrade your plan, there is a waiting period and similarly if you downgrade your plan and want to upgrade at a future date, there will also be a waiting period. One can even switch insurer, including Quinn, whilst in hospital for cover ! If you are not happy you can reverse and switch again without any penalty so long as you remain at equivalent benefit level.

If you want to see non biased view - look at www.hia.ie - the health insurance authority keep on top of all 3 insurers.

As regards Mount Carmel - my view is that if there is a serious problem with your baby's health, the baby may be transferred to national Maternity hospital while you stay in your room at Mount Carmel. I'd go one of 3 dublin main hospitals for first. Good luck.

From what I know if there was a serious problem with a baby's health it would most likely go to Crumlin. Two of mine were in the special care unit in Mount Carmel for a while. Couldn't speak highly enough of the care for myself and babies. I had all four of mine there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tl1980

Hi folks I switched today, I have been with VHI 28 years, my child is also on the policy. Never had any problems with any cover or payment for hospital stay. However comparing Plan B Options and the "we plan" level 2 with Hibernian I saved 400 euro by switching. Since the main cover is the same e.g. private cover in public and semi-private in private with the option to upgrade that 400 a year could go a long way!!! The Hibernian comparison tool is really useful. I also got an additional discount on my car insurance with Hibernian approx 5% for having 2 policies with them. Too often people stick with the good old reliable but in credit crunch times more people are going to switch!!

Advertisement