Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song/Poem Comparative!

Options
  • 24-09-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Am looking to compare a contemporary song with a poem. For English - 2nd and 5th yrs. Have a few ideas popping into my head but if anyone has suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Many of the JC text books include songs in their poetry anthologies - a popular one is Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll. I use Kavanagh's On Raglan Road regularly and the kids get a kick out of listening repeatedly to the song and filling in words I've removed. You could do some of Shakespeare's sonnets and get them to think of a song themselves with similar themes. James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" deals with unrequited love, painful I know but so is unrequited love:). Let them do it as research, give them a theme and ask them to find a song.

Are you looking for a song to compare to a prescribed poem in 5th year? You're doing well to have the time, getting the poetry covered is time-consuming.:eek:

Advertisement