Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI .. . stolen material

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

To the white Irish guy who did this joke in the Haypenny Inn last tuesday 16th September.

"If people think I steal material they can just kiss my black ass"

That joke belongs to a man named Stewart Francis - you can have look at him on youtube. He's quite a funny chap. I'm not entirely sure if you asked his permission to use it, and I didn't see any bibliography at the end of your set either so I'm a bit confused as to how you felt permitted to do that joke.

It is of course possible that you came up with this idea all by yourself but given the structure of the punchline it's unlikely. You see "kiss my black ass", is a phrase associated with a black person from the USA. I imagine your daily exposure to these kind of folk is somewhat limited and any opinions or sterotypes you have about them is derived from some form of multimedia. For an American comedian to write and perform this joke to an American audience [usually with a large % of black people] it makes sense. For an Irish guy to write it to perform to an Irish/European audience with little or no black people present - it makes very little sense. The joke would lose all context, it wouldn't suit either the comedian or the audience.

Feel free to post any response you may have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

wow,is that it, anybody could come up with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

They did - that anybody is called Stewart Francis. He is an American.

Maybe you didn't read my post properly.

This was a clearly ... "borrowed" joke. It didn't suit the performer, his set, the audience.

Hopefully the guy has since read this post and realised "**** somebody else saw that guy on youtube, maybe I shouldn't do his material anymore".

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

squidgey wrote: »
    They did - that anybody is called Stewart Francis. He is an American.

Um... he's actually Canadian...
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

^^^^^ better than any "borrowed" material!!! :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

squidgey wrote: »
    To the white Irish guy who did this joke in the Haypenny Inn last tuesday 16th September.

"If people think I steal material they can just kiss my black ass"

That joke belongs to a man named Stewart Francis - you can have look at him on youtube. He's quite a funny chap. I'm not entirely sure if you asked his permission to use it, and I didn't see any bibliography at the end of your set either so I'm a bit confused as to how you felt permitted to do that joke.

It is of course possible that you came up with this idea all by yourself but given the structure of the punchline it's unlikely. You see "kiss my black ass", is a phrase associated with a black person from the USA. I imagine your daily exposure to these kind of folk is somewhat limited and any opinions or sterotypes you have about them is derived from some form of multimedia. For an American comedian to write and perform this joke to an American audience [usually with a large % of black people] it makes sense. For an Irish guy to write it to perform to an Irish/European audience with little or no black people present - it makes very little sense. The joke would lose all context, it wouldn't suit either the comedian or the audience.

Feel free to post any response you may have.

Irish people, while not surrounded by a plethora or races, do have access to the internet, film, television, and other forms of media. It is possible that he somewhere heard the phrase "kiss my black ass" from a place other then that particular comedian.

You are also neglecting the many serious medical conditions that may turn someone's derrière black. He may have had an ass transplant. His daddy may have tanned his hide once too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've heard the phrase 'kiss my black ass' in a few films/TV shows.
    TBH it seems like the kind of thing that could easily have been 'invented' by several people. Much like the phrase 'suck my balls. I'm so glad nobody copyrighted that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why all the whinging, it's not even funny. It's a line and I fail to see how it can be seen a joke from any person in any country. Sounds like a throw away statement more than anything.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wonder what said "black ass" would taste like on the lips?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Now.. if he'd said 'shiny metal ass' then we might have a case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

There's the one about the farmer who bought a black ass off a traveling man, the ass dropped dead carrying turf on the way home, so the farmer calls back to the traveling man, who say's " Jaysus, he never did that when I had him!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Watch Stewart Lee's skit of Joe Pasquale nicking jokes.....I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere. Search it (in work at the mo....so it's blocked. Boo.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

That isn't stolen material.

I'm sure it isn't just for black americans.
    As crazy as it sounds, there are black people living all over the world.
    One may even be you neighbour *shock*

Advertisement