Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire, Dinner for 2, Thursday night???? Help??

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Ello, I'm bringing a girl on a 'date' tomorrow, first stop Cinema, then a little walk and hopefully some late night dinner. But I'm hoping that there'll be somewhere nice open to get something to eat at around 9 p.m.'ish.

Any help?.. It'll be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if its in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Daniels in Glasthule , the restaraunt at Stena in DL are 2 that spring to mind.

Bewleys in Leopardstown have a really nice restaraunt also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GUDBUDD2008

The Jewel in the crown down by the peoples park is very nice.
    it is an indian restaurant the food is lovely. The place itself does not look up to much but the food is lovely and the staff are very nice. About 50euro for the 2 of you

However if you really wanna impress try The pub in Monkstown formerly FXB's Steakhouse. Food is Mouthwatering but 100 to 140 euro for both of you...

The Jewel in the crown down by the peoples park is very nice.
    it is an indian restaurant the food is lovely.

Tis gone..... replaced by a take away

Purple Ocean - I'm telling you it can't be beat, it's down over the ferry terminal and it's fab, and they do an early bird til 10pm, but even if you didn't want the early bird, it is one of the nicest restaurants around I love it.

http://www.purpleocean.ie/

If it's "just a bite to eat" that you're lookin for, the real gourmet burger bar is great and cheap and casual, down at the pavillion. There's also the gastro pub on marine road if you want yummy food along with a nice pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Thank you, thank you all. You've just saved me. Appreciated.

What time do these places close at?

Thanks very much all. :)

edit: Purple Ocean: 10 pm. Sounds good ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The purple ocean food isnt bad but atmosphere wise is not great. Very stainless steel and brightly lit neon - sterile would be the way I would describe it. Plus they don't always open up all sections - so they tend to seat everyone in the main open area rather than upstairs or along the side tables which have views out to the sea.

For a first date a much cosier and less pretentious place would the the indian on georges street - think its called shakira. Usually not packed and very friendly waiters. Food is lovely and lots of it they will cook it to your exact request too. The gastro pub food isnt bad either though it closes at 10-ish I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is Bits and Pizzas still going? That was a damn fine pizza place.

Morlar wrote: »
    The purple ocean food isnt bad but atmosphere wise is not great. Very stainless steel and brightly lit neon - sterile would be the way I would describe it. Plus they don't always open up all sections - so they tend to seat everyone in the main open area rather than upstairs or along the side tables which have views out to the sea.

For a first date a much cosier and less pretentious place would the the indian on georges street - think its called shakira. Usually not packed and very friendly waiters. .

I have to say I don't find the atmosphere bad in purple ocean, the food is fantastic. But I will second Shakira, one of the best indians around and not too many people know about it.....

And bits and pizzas - yum

Think you have plenty to choose from anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the restaurent upstairs in Walters is nice, along towards the People's park. That is fairly casual but has a nice atmosphere and the food is very good. It's quite a trendy place and you can hang around for a drink afterwards, there may even be some live music on.

it depends on what you are after I suppose, if you want Indian (and you are driving) then i would suggest Jaipur in Dalkey. There is also the Queens, Ivory and the club that do food, not sure what time they open til though.

If you want somewhere near the cinema then Bits and Pizzas is nice, but personally I wouldn't take somewhere there on a date. There is also a place called GTI i think. I've had a snack in there, it was OK but not award winning. It s avery trendy cocktail bar sort of place. There is also Gourmet Burger and Cafe Mao along the front of the Pavillion, of the two, I'd go for Mao's.

Toscana opposite the car park on the seafront is great. The waiters in there will make a fuss of you, flirt with your girlfriend (In a very nice, european sort of way) and make sure you have a nice evening. It's Italian and everyone loves Italian. Its one of those place you can turn up in jeans and tee shirt, or a shirt and tie. Ask for a table downstairs at the back, its a bit more intimate.

I like Odells in sandycove as well, its above the Wine Buff and is very intimate and friendly, its not cheap though.

The gastro Pub and Purple Ocean are good and there was a place opened up at the old station, not sure what that is like.

My preference for what you are doing would be Walters or Toscana though.

(I like eating out:D)

I have to say I don't find the atmosphere bad in purple ocean, the food is fantastic. But I will second Shakira, one of the best indians around and not too many people know about it.....

And bits and pizzas - yum

Think you have plenty to choose from anyway!

Where is shakira? not been there and i am a big Indian lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is Bits and Pizzas still going? That was a damn fine pizza place.

Crap food and terrible, ignorant, rude, useless staff. Hate the place.

No one metioned Mao yet.
    Nasi Goerin(sp?) - Best food in Dun Laoghaire - period:D

Purty Kitchen for fish & seafood

Toscana - just down from the baths for Italian. Its gone downhill quite a lot recently I thnink though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There is also a place called GTI i think

Long gone unfortunitly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

My vote is for Bits and Pizzas.

Crap food and terrible, ignorant, rude, useless staff. Hate the place.

No one metioned Mao yet.
    Nasi Goerin(sp?) - Best food in Dun Laoghaire - period:D

Purty Kitchen for fish & seafood

Toscana - just down from the baths for Italian. Its gone downhill quite a lot recently I thnink though

Yeah, last time I was in Bits and pizzas the staff gave the impression I was interfering with their good old gossip. Food was ok, but didn;t feel welcomed there.

I love Toscana, but for an occasion such as a birthday. its a great place to take kids early in the evening as well. I haven't been there for a couple of months, but I've always found the food to be good.

I mentioned Maos by the way,

Where is shakira? not been there and i am a big Indian lover.

its on the main st over a shop - not sure which one, kinda facing marks and spencer, it has a fairly outdated sort of a sign, and inside is not the most chic or contemporary but the service is great and the food is amazing, really is a great place, they deliver too if you fancy staying in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Hope OP you did not go for the Toscana tonight. Well if so it was a special evening I'd say. But when I walked by around half 9 the fire brigade was in there. Did not look like something mayor though (but no guests) and looked ok when I passed again later. But I would have recommended the Toscana anytime.

its on the main st over a shop - not sure which one, kinda facing marks and spencer, it has a fairly outdated sort of a sign, and inside is not the most chic or contemporary but the service is great and the food is amazing, really is a great place, they deliver too if you fancy staying in!

tried it saturday night, for a take away.

very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Bits and Pizzas is a fine place to go for a meal.

Recently went to a restaurant down by the seaside called the Martello Bistro and had a very fine meal there 4 of us ate 3 courses each and had 2 bottles of wine for €191.

Fab meal and damn good value we'll be there this weekend for another damn fine meal

Advertisement