Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you adopt a rescue dog

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

If you want to adopt a dog from a rescue then you should be aware of the following things.

- the dog/bitch is neutered/spayed if its an adult dog
    - the dog/pup is fully vaccinated (5 in 1 vacc is the best IMHO), some dodgy ones only vacc for Parvo or Lepto
    - the dog has been wormed and the rescue can tell you when the dog is due worming again and with what
    - the dog has been treated for parasites (fleas, ear mites etc)
    - vaccination papers are supplied on date of adoption (check them to make sure they have the vaccination stickers in them, not just something handwritten)
    - microchipping: many rescues have started to rehome MC'd dogs but not all do it as it is a cost factor
    - home vetting, good rescues do home checks before and after rehoming a dog to you
    - they provide backup if you have problems and if need be, take the dog back
    - the dog has been fully assessed, e.g. the rescue is able to tell you in what enviroment a dog fits into: other dogs/animals, children, riding in a car without problems, housetraining
    - they provide help with spaying/neutering if you have adopted a pup from them
    - they have no problem with you coming to meet the dog which you want to adopt and taking him/her for walk to get acquainted
    - they will tell you where the dog came from with all the relevant backround information
    - they will answer all your question re the dog you have picked openly and as honest as they can
    - they will make you sign a rehoming contract of which you will get a copy

Some rescues have no problem with you having a look at the dogs in their runs/kennels, other can't do that (again, it's a cost factor, e.g. public liability insurance which can be crippling for some rescues working on a tight budget). Many of the smaller rescues do not have state of the art kennels but don't let that put you off, watch the dogs, are they happy? Are they content? Use you common sense: is the dog healthy looking? Bright eyes, good coat, no pressure sores etc. Some dogs suffer in a kennel enviroment and will lose condition, a good rescue is not afraid to tell you that this as happened and the dog has lost weight etc due to it. Watch the interaction between rescue peeps and the dogs - that alone will tell you alot. I think that's about it. It might sound like alot BUT at the end of the day, you want a dog that fits in with you and vice versa. Don't be offended if a rescue denies you the dog you have picked if they think you are not compatible - it is the sign of a good rescue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MaryMay

hi Im new to this site.....we have a 2 and a half year old cross springer/minature labrador. Have been thinking for a while now about getting another dog. Came across a 1 year old springer cross - male looking for a good home. Ive a few concerns......Im worried our current doggie wont take to the new comer and that she will feel left out?
    ALso we are moving home soon and im not sure if it would be best to wait till we move and then introduce the new dog or get the dog now before we move?
    Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If you start a new thread its more likely to get views and replies Mary ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Was in Ashtown today and after seeing those dogs I swear I'll never get another dog from a breeder! And I want a rottweiler. Those dogs are all so sweet!

EGAR I admire your courage doing such an emotionally challenging job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

LovelyTom wrote: »
    Was in Ashtown today and after seeing those dogs I swear I'll never get another dog from a breeder! And I want a rottweiler. Those dogs are all so sweet!

EGAR I admire your courage doing such an emotionally challenging job!

We got our dog, Ted, from Ashtown. A lovely 9 month old springer spaniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Brought home my first rescue dog this week. Never went to a rescue place before as I didn't think I could see all the abandoned dogs but I saw this dog on the website and knew he was for me.

He was the most nervous dog I had ever met. I have gathered he is petrified of men, he has no problem with children playing with him but is terrified of men. He would not go near my partner up until the last couple of days and is still very dubious of him. This will sort itself out soon enough I know. He is so loveable and so gentle and he has the run of the house and loves it. He has come along in leaps and bounds since we left the rescue centre with him. In the past few days he has made me and my family so happy and I know we have returned the emotion.

Rescuing him was one of the best things I have ever done as he is exactly what I wanted in a house pet. If anybody is thinking of getting a dog I strongly recommend going to the local rescue centre or looking through their website as it is much more satisfying than picking a puppy up from a breeder. Bringing home a dog that you know is the right one for you is worth so much more than forking out on a gamble for an expensive breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I couldn't agree with you more LadyT. Honey was two when she came home with me three years ago. She had been abandoned twice when I saw her in the rescue centre and was such a nervous little thing. She was also afraid of men, espically those wearing hats (and baseball caps in particular). She had obvisouly had a hard life before. She settled in very well and now will go to anyone who will spend ten mins tickling her... she could care less whether they are a man or a woman, as long as at least one hand is dedicated to her she's happy!

Honey is lavished with all the love and attention she could wish for... however I have to say that I firmly believe she has added more to my life than I do to hers. Rescue dogs all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

We got our first rescue dog three years ago, he's a lab/collie cross, and having never owned a dog, i was terrified him, I can now say that i would never be with out him, its nice to come home after a crappy day at work to a waggin tail and a warm slobber. We got him young, and fortunatley he's was easy to manage, took to a lead, only minor accidents before we got him trained. A pleasure.
    We then decided to get another dog to keep the first one company, and as they say when we saw pixie, we had to have her, the pound owner said no, she's been a stray for well over a year, and that we wouldnt be able to train her. (they had being trying to catch her for months) But as that stage we were smitten, she's a collie, and was manky and smelly and thin when we got her, so much so that we didn't realise that she had a lovely white patch on her until we got her cleaned up. It took a lot longer with her, she'd pull the arm of you when she's on a lead, and eat your hand before she'd get to a dog bowl. But it all worth it, she great now, like all collies as loyal as anything, we regulary take them up the fields and let them run loose, but she'll just walk beside you. happy to be near. She's still gets anxious over food, and had to be fed first, but this too is passing.

I would highly recommend getting a rescue dog, I meant to come in here and write a line or two, but I could go on talking all night about my dogs. One thing I would mention is making sure you have enough space to house the dog your thinkin of getting, being a bit naieve about dogs, we didn't realise how big they'd grow,:o we have a big garden but the dogs still need to be out every day, and I mean every day for adequate exercise. Its time consuming and I don't think people who get rescue dogs realise this, as when your going out to buy a pup, you'll put a lot more research into it, whereas we went to the pound to see what we could get, and only then researched it. And as the dogs we were after were going to be put to sleep we only had a week to think about it, with our second dog, we had a day. Think it through first, nothing worse than getting a dog and then trying to re house it a few month doen the line, or worse abandoned it. This goes for all dogs I guess.

Anyway, go on give a dog a home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kopite73

Hello all.
    my wife and I adopted a rott & a staffy from Ashton and we do a little fund raising for them also. Its a disgrace how we in Ireland tolerate 1000's of dogs being PTS every year. It should be high on peoples agenda @ local and national elections to ask the people canvassing what they intend to do about puppy farms and back yard breeders thru legislation. It breaks my heart to see the number of mutts in the pound when we visit to walk them. We will adopt another this summer - we pick the ones that have little hope of getting re-homed for one reason or another. Its a good bit of work rehab-ing them as they tend to have various issues but very rewarding when you see them turn the corner,
    Rgds,
    Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emma27

Kopite73 wrote: »
    Hello all.
    my wife and I adopted a rott & a staffy from Ashton and we do a little fund raising for them also. Its a disgrace how we in Ireland tolerate 1000's of dogs being PTS every year. It should be high on peoples agenda @ local and national elections to ask the people canvassing what they intend to do about puppy farms and back yard breeders thru legislation. It breaks my heart to see the number of mutts in the pound when we visit to walk them. We will adopt another this summer - we pick the ones that have little hope of getting re-homed for one reason or another. Its a good bit of work rehab-ing them as they tend to have various issues but very rewarding when you see them turn the corner,
    Rgds,
    Martin.

Your so right. Over 16000 dogs put down last year in Ireland. Its disgusting that people can still go on breeding their dogs for the purpose of a few pence in their pockets and not a thought to what kind of life these puppies are going to have. I just buried one of my cats the other day :( and we were thinking of getting a puppy in a good few weeks so our other cat will have some company. He/She would have to be quite young so the two of them would get on. i would have to take a week off work to get them used to each other. It is early days yet though. Do they get many puppies in Ashton?

Hi Emma27,
    sorry to hear of your cat passing but if it had a good life then you did your bit. Everything comes to an end as we know and time heals all. yes sadly they get more than their fair share of puppies :mad:. You can drop in on Ashtons' re-homing web site www.dogsindistress.org (hope its ok to post the link) , fill out an adoption form, have a home check done & then when you're good to go everything will already be in place & you can bide your time til something suitable comes along. Currently they have 20+ puppies looking for permanent residence. Fair play to you for even considering it as an option. The bonus of a puppy is they don't have the same baggage an adult dog would possibly have and therefore nothing to help the animal overcome. Hope this helps some,
    Rgds,
    Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am sorry but I have a problem with this statement:
    Its a good bit of work rehab-ing them as they tend to have various issues

I have taken many many dogs from Pounds, including Ashton and 90 % of those had no issues whatsoever. I am getting quite riled up when people make blanket statements like those and therefore strengthen the old myth that only dogs with issues end up in the Pound.

Hi Egar,
    thats not what my post said - I didn't say only dogs with issues end up in the pound I said I adopted 2 that had issues ,
    Rgds,
    Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EGAR wrote: »

I am getting quite riled up when people make blanket statements like those and therefore strengthen the old myth ....

Coming from someone who said that they wont rehome dogs in "dodgy areas" I'd say there was a pot making references about disparaging remarks regarding colour to a kettle right there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Explain, dear Bambi, and I am more than willing to discuss whatever problem you may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 emilyj

We adopted a dog from PAWS a couple of years ago and found them great. They don't put any dogs down. Think they've moved from Sallins to Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

My Boyfriend and I recently adopted a 1 year old pointer cross from Ash Animal Rescue in Wicklow. Best decision we have ever made!! He so full of love and appreciation for eveything, his tail is always waggling! I cant believe someone locked him in the garden shed and moved house and left him there!! He is still quite needy but is becoming more independant each day, its fabulous and so rewarding!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jolljoll

Hi all,

I'm new on here and just wanted some advice on feeding. I'm getting a dog next week - she's almost two years old with a lovely temperment.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what dog food people would reccommend that I feed her? There's such a massive range out there and I want to give her the best possible - but without breaking the bank.

Now I know that there's higher quality foods out there, such as, Royal Canin etc...but have you seen the price!?!?!!? Is there anything else out there that's as good but a bit cheaper??

Thanks for your help ;)

Jolljoll

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Crannog

Hi Jolljoll

Can give you the value of my experience here. Find out what your new dog is getting at the moment and get same. Not only will it help her tummy not to have to change food but I found with our doggie that it really helped to settle her. She was terribly nervous but she loves her grub.

I bet that where she is, if a rescue, that she is getting good quality cheap stuff. Buying a 20kg bag, decanting into bin type food storage and measuring out will not break the bank. We pay €16ish for 20kg of the type of Red Mills that she likes.

I wish you every happiness with the new arrival. Ours runs our home now and we couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We got 2 of our 3 dogs from pounds, one has some serious issues, the other is perfectly fine. It's really rewarding getting one from a pound, or somewhere of that nature) because you know you are saving a life. My dog with the issues, Logan, is hard work. However, he is also the most loveable dog and he is definitely worth the effort. I would tell anyone to go for a rescue dog, but warn them that it may be a hard process depending on the dog's history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

I got my 2 Jack Russells from Limerick Animal Wefare and really couldn't be without them.

The dog was completely wild when we got him and even now 5 years on he has a bit of a crazy streak in him but he's just pure entertainment.

The girl(can't call my precious baby a bitch!!) is the most beautiful little dog I've ever met. She was found a few days after Halloween 5 years ago in one of the rougher areas of the city and had literally had the crap kicked out of her. was covered in cuts and the poor little mite was so terrified when we got her first. When I brought her home she hopped up on the couch like she'd been there all her life and she now completely rules the household and is a complete madam. I adore her to bits and the day anything happens her(she's about 10 now) a part of me will die as well.

The two of them have two old leather chairs in the garden where they spend most of the day sleeping and watching the world go by and making sure that any birds that try and land in the garden are swiftly sent packing.

It breaks my heart that dogs like them are put down every day around the country while people go and pay hundreds of pounds to breeders :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Nottoosure

Hi,

Complete newbee here, hullo everyone. Any dog we have had has been rescue & what rewards they give you (not that it's the reason to adopt), we adopted our third rescue 3 years ago, the other 2 were a few years on when we got them & had been treated badly, the first lived with us for 5 years until she passed, the next 10 years until he passed. Our present dog I got from the SPCA at 6 weeks old (young I Know, but there was nothing else for him), he is so clever and funny, he has the whole run of the house, but he doesn't do the - er! - dog on it, you could teach him anything. Just a month ago I showed him how to settle his bed and now when you tell him to settle the bed, he grabs the blanket in his teeth & moves it into the corners of the bed.

My job is going to be gone in June & it will take a bit of time to get another, I would really like to help out the SPCA by temporarally adopting dogs on a short term basis until they get homes, I know space is at a premium, especially here in Gorey & a lot of dogs are being ditched due to the recession (which is a load of crock, ditch your best friend 'cause they cost you a few quid every week!!).

Anyway, I have an acre of land - what kind of outhouses do I build? Do they need electricity i.e. a bulb in winter to create warmth? I understand separation for the dogs who don't get along, I understand runs etc. & I wouldn't be talking about more than 3 at the most 4 dogs each time.

Any advice or am I MAD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Crannog wrote: »
    Hi Jolljoll
    I bet that where she is, if a rescue, that she is getting good quality cheap stuff. Buying a 20kg bag, decanting into bin type food storage and measuring out will not break the bank. We pay €16ish for 20kg of the type of Red Mills that she likes.

Not true! Our guys at Limerick Animal Welfare get either Arden Grange or Burns. (Both retail at approx €50 per 15kg bag.) So many of the dogs that come to us have only ever been fed table scraps or awful cheap brands of dog food, so we switch them onto a quality dog food as a matter of priority. Feeding cheaper food is a false economy in the long run - sure your dog may look healthy on it now, but if humans have a crap diet all their lives it eventually catches up with them, and the same is true of dogs.

€50 or €60 sounds like a lot of money for a bag of dog food, but when you consider that it contains no cheap cereal fillers like the supermarket brands, and you therefore feed less, that bag of food can feed a single dog for up to three months, depending on the dog's size!

When stray dogs come in to us that have been fed Brandy/Madra/Bakers etc, we can tell straight away. They're flatulent, they have bad breath, they have smelly, runny, gooey poos and the artificial colours come out the other end so the poos have a distinctive colour! These dogs also tend to have itchy skin and sometimes can be quite hyperactive from the artificial ingredients - many of which are banned from human consumption.

Sorry - off soapbox now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

funny-dog-pictures-adoption-reward.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

We got a rescue dog through Dogs in Distress...he's great! No behavioural issues, just anxious/nervous initially, which is understandable, what with new people/surroundings. Some people had told me that rescue dogs generally had behavioural issues, which I think is a very sweeping statement to make and don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

I have taken many many dogs from Pounds, including Ashton and 90 % of those had no issues whatsoever. I am getting quite riled up when people make blanket statements like those and therefore strengthen the old myth that only dogs with issues end up in the Pound.

I agree.

We've had 2 rescue dogs, both Mutts and we also have a pure bred, the 2 rescue dogs by far had the more easy going temperment and were very clam and well balanced-whereas the pure bred in comparison is a bit flighty and highly strung!

This is a bit of topic but when we got the rescue pups, we had to be home-checked and had to fill out a questionare etc to make sure we were getting a dog that was compatible with our lifestyle etc. When we bought the pure bred it was literally a case of 'Show me the money' on the breeder's part, he couldn't have cared less what we did with the dog once he got his money:mad:

ETA: we got both our recue pups from Dogs in Distress and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Both pups were wormed, flea treated, had their vaccinations, micro-chipped and will get vouchers for when it's time to neuter them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

I re-homed a dog from Ashtown 4 years ago and honestly, the staff couldn't have been nicer. I was sad to hear the place has gone down-hill because when we went there after going to a couple of shelters we thought it was by far cleaner than the shelters.

Basically i picked a little retriever puppy (which was unusual to find in a pound I hear) and after a day or two noticed that she was just leaking! She didn't urinate, she just leaked. Turned out it was a birth defect that would costs thousands to fix. So sadly she had to be put down.

I think the staff took pity on me cos they took my number and about 2 months later they called to say they had an identical dog who was found and that although someone had shown an interest in her they had said they wanted to check with me first to see if i wanted the dog.

That was 4 years ago and she's the best dog we ever had.

Yep, she had chewing gum in her hair, bones sticking out and twine around her as a crude collar and she didn't even know how to sit but it took her literally a week and she was settled into a new life.

The recurring problem we have had with her though is her timidness which leads to a tummy problem when she gets upset. She hates loud noises and shies away if your hand is raised near her or if you just hold your hand out behind her back. She gets upset if we go on holidays etc or if we're out of the house longer than she's used to (abandonment issues?)

The vet said its common with dogs that have come from shelters.

The food we have to buy her is extremely pricey 45 euro for a small bag because her tummy can get all over the place but she's worth every penny.

So my advice would be: If you get a dog from any shelter or pound immediately bring it to the vet to be checked out. Even though we only had the 1st dog for a week, it was heart-breaking having to put her down.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭estreet girl

We also got ourgorgeous chocolate lab from Dogs in Distress who do fantastic work and are so dedicated.When he arrived he took to us immediately but was nervous around visitors,in particular men and used to cower.A year on and he still doesn't like sudden noises or if you pick the sweeping brush up in a hurry but he is so loyal,devoted and cuddly and so gentle with kids.He is not interested in swimming or catching ball like our previous labs which leads me to wonder if he ever had a puppyhood so to speak,so in that regard I feel sorry for him,but hey he doesn't seem to mind.We live near the sea and our last fella would swim all day and I would love this guy to enjoy that experience but maybe like people it's different strokes for different folks!!
    Still anyone else heard of a lab that doesn't swim:)
    Watched Marley and Me last night...soooooo sad watching the end,it brought me back to when we had to put our last pet to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buildingahome

I agree, not all rescues have problems! I adopted a boxer/lab corss over three years ago from animal rescue Ireland, her name's lucy. She was and still is the sweetest dog, and my best bud. She had no issues or bad habits even though she was horribly neglected by her original owners. Myself and my now husbad also have a golden retriever who came from a puppy farm and he is adorable. He was a little nervous of gates when he was younger, but he's over that and he's so gentle, he adores children and cuddles. And we've also got a rescue cat who again is a little sweety, as sweet as cats go that is :-) He's his own boss really and tends to dominate to two dogs, he is in fact Alpha Dpg.
    Much respect to you Egar, you should be proud as punch to do such honourable work. I'm sure it can be tough at times, but all animal lovers are lucky to have people like you out there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buildingahome

jolljoll wrote: »
    Hi all,

Now I know that there's higher quality foods out there, such as, Royal Canin etc...but have you seen the price!?!?!!? Is there anything else out there that's as good but a bit cheaper??

Thanks for your help ;)

Jolljoll

Hi Jolljoll, I buy Pedro Gold for my dogs, it's about 17 euro per 20kg bag and it's a mix of cereal, dried veg and meat. The dogs love it mixed with some warm water and you don't need as much as some cheaper brands. Avoid tinned food, it's no good for your dog(in fairness the smell alone would make me sick) PLus it will make his stools soft and he will be prone to irritated or swollen glands in his anus (when they start scooching on their bums ). Hard foods keep their stools firm which naturally cleanses the glands. Plus less stools = less garden clean ups :-)
    My two love scraps from dinner, like spuds and meat, veg and gravy. Avoid onions though, and of course spicey food. No milk either, it's bad for them and a lot of dogs are lactose intolerant. No chocolate, unless it's doggie chocs, from the pet store, it's toxic to them in high doses.

And for doggie with a bit of a sick tummy, I try one day of fasting (like humans) and then plain rice and boiled chicken for a day or two till puppy's back to his bouncing self :-)

Good luck and enjoy!!

Advertisement