Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 day week

Options
  • 24-09-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

My company are suggesting that they will have to put a few people on a 3 day week as business is slow. My questions are do they have to start with the people who are last in?...can they just put certain people on a 3 day week?

I am not on the best terms with the boss and know if they can just pick anyone I will be the first one picked. I have had a look around the net and could not find anything definitive so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I cannot think of any reason why they have to pick the last in.

I would imagine it's based on "who could still do their job being here only three days a week" rather than anything else.

Be aware you will be able to claim the dole for the two days you aren't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I suppose he/she will start with two lists, one of critical staff that the business could not function or operate without these folks being at work full time and then a list of folks who could be put on a 3 day week without compromising the business operation as a whole...

If I was in that position, that is the approach I would use and I'd be open and transparent about that.

There is no point in working from a seniority or "time served" angle if enforcing that policy results in cutting back the hours of someone who is absolutely critical to the business operation and keeping someone on full time who is not critical to the business operation.

I know this seems cruel but when the chips are down, there is no point in being anything other than blunt about it when the outcome can be that if the tough decisions are not made, then everyone could be out of a job...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

unfortunately, it is essentially up to your boss, and unless there is a transparent unfairness then there is little you can do about it afaik

you could try sitting down with the boss and saying something along the lines of: "look, i know we haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but here are the reasons why i think you need to keep me full-time..."

Where's this been moved to???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Where's this been moved to???

Work Problems, a sub-forum of Work&Jobs

• Advertisement

Work Problems, a sub-forum of Work&Jobs

Thanks RT, there was a problem with the boards.ie menu yesterday with the >> work problems menuoption, I threw it into Feedback and it was sorted out...

Advertisement