Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options
  • 24-09-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

Well,we've discussed bonfires,but as we all know its also firework season. The actions of scumbags at this time always sadly bring halloween into a bad light. People are asking should it be banned (and we can be fairly certain it won't). But to be fair,fireworks have no place in our holiday. Do they? In asia,we know they are used to scare away evil spirits. But no trad here that i know of uses them(correct me if i'm wrong please). Is there anything we can do to try stop the negative aspects of our holiday,or are we just going to be hearing every year how it should be banned? (as someone who doesn't follow a certain trad,but has studied under a few,this is a very important time of the year)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fire works are illegal in this country.
    Hollow'een is not my holiday, Samhain is a time of year that I celebrate.
    Also not all pagans do either hollow'een or Samhain.

Why is this a specail time of year for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Belief that its when the veils between realms is thinnest making it a big thing. Also,since i focus on the beauty of death and rebirth,as well as a serious focus on animals and nature,the autumn cycle is an important time. I know not all traditions celebrate samhain or halloween,interested to see the opinions of those that do,or those that have nothing to do with it.

Advertisement