Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License - why pays, landlord or tenant

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am renting accomodation with one other person and I am just wondering what the situation is regarding the TV licence, which is due for renewal.

Do the tenants pay or does the landlord pay for it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Tenant as far as I know. I presume it's your telly?

"Could you live with the shame?"

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

The tenant pays for the licence.

If the landlord previously held a tv licence at that property( and its still a valid licence i.e has not expired) the landlord is entitled to transfer the tv license to another property that they are now living at.

I have done this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Whoever has the use of the TV is the person liable for it, as far as I know (so, tenants)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the landlord has supplied a TV and the tenant doesn't want it, it's the tenant's responsibility to let the landlord know to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If the landlord has supplied a TV and the tenant doesn't want it, it's the tenant's responsibility to let the landlord know to remove it.
    But remember if there is a TV in the place at all, if you watch it or not, even if it has no plug or anything - you have to pay the license...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

My understanding of it generally was if landlord supplies telly he pays TV licence, if it's your telly you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Surely the owner of the TV pays the licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Tenant pays regardless of who owns it. If it is provided by landlord and you do not want it, as already stated here its up to you to ask landlord to remove it. (Unless it is a shared house and landlord lives there, then they pay)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surely the owner of the TV pays the licence?
    Nope. The resident of the house pays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

+1 tenant pays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Correct- its normally the tenant or resident of the house who pays. If the person who is renting the property does not want to watch television- they should request the landlord remove the television from the property.

Advertisement