Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I enter my property after giving 24 hrs notice?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Uncommunicative tenants are not returning our calls (rent unpaid).

We want to enter the property to do an inspection tomorrow.
    Are we legally entitled to enter the property after giving 24 hrs written notice even if the tenants have told us it’s not suitable or have not provided us with an alternative time/date?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not really, no.

There is no legal basis for providing any kind of written notice before entering. You need the agreement of the tenants.

If you have good reason to suspect that the property has been abandoned (i.e. you've called around a couple of times and gotten no answer, and had no-one answer your phone calls), then you're unlikely to get into any trouble.

If the tenants have specifically told you that's it not suitable, then you can't go. However don't accept that. They have an obligation to allow you in to inspect the property at an appropriate time, so don't let them say "No", push them for a date & time.

I'd advise contacting the PRTB for more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Thank you for your advice. We just managed at lunch to get them to agree to us calling around. They are still in the property.

I just hope now its in OK condition!

Advertisement