Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages paid not in full

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Company staff didnt get paid wages in full. Around 50 peoples are affected.
    Amount of money missing up to 1500 Euros.

No explanation from management is given since last week when wages were logged into the staff accounts.

Any advices pls? How to deal with that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This has happened to me before. Be really careful of false promises - I got stung for 10k.

Does your employer have financial problems or is this out of the blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Did the ppl in question get a payslip? If so did it match the amount paid into the account? You're legally entitled to a paper payslip with a breakdown of pay, tax credits and deductions.

Small claims court and Labour court could be possible avenues or your own legal counsel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Talk to management about it. There may be a reasonable explanation. If you are not fully satisfied by what you are told, check with Revenue that they have been receiving your PAYE/PRSI deductions - this would be the first thing a company in financial difficulty would stop doing (usually)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Serge

All people got payslips already.

For example, instead of 160 hrs full-time people are paid 100 hrs etc. Some over-time not paid as well. One person got just 700 Euro for full time work

I think there is is payroll system failure or similar reason but still no explanation about that. Management told us we have to contact payroll person but that person is busy and says to ring tomorrow. Yesterday was the same story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If that's what they're telling you then you need to contact management and inform them that no response is forthcoming from payroll. Tell them that this is not good enough and that you need an explanation and confirmation of when the money will be paid.

The terrible communication and stalling by management would lead me to believe that there is a money problem and not a simple payroll system problem. If it was a payroll system failure then they should have said so, told staff they'd update them as soon as there was news about it and asked them to avoid contacting payroll as they were already busy dealing with the failure.

• Advertisement

Do you work in construction or any other at risk industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Serge wrote: »
    Management told us we have to contact payroll person but that person is busy and says to ring tomorrow. Yesterday was the same story.

That's a fairly sh*tty response from management. It should be management bringing it up with payroll since it affects multiple people.

Actually I am working in hospitality environment which employs the people in few places across the country.

But still I believe that there is system failure just lack of information from management brings frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If that's what they're telling you then you need to contact management and inform them that no response is forthcoming from payroll. Tell them that this is not good enough and that you need an explanation and confirmation of when the money will be paid.

The terrible communication and stalling by management would lead me to believe that there is a money problem and not a simple payroll system problem. If it was a payroll system failure then they should have said so, told staff they'd update them as soon as there was news about it and asked them to avoid contacting payroll as they were already busy dealing with the failure.

I kind of read the situation the same way. That situation sounds to me like there could be "behind the scenes" work going on to sort out the situation...

Contrary to one post here, you don't have to be in construction to be an "at risk" business today. There are many businesses out there barely managing to hold things together right now, people have stopped spending, so any business out there can be in very dodgy territory if they are not well capitalised and start to have cash flow issues...

Actually I am working in hospitality environment which employs the people in few places across the country.

But still I believe that there is system failure just lack of information from management brings frustration

But there must be a reason why there is a lack of response. I'd say that is because they don't know what the situation is themselves, maybe they are trying to knock something together with the bank or are are looking at cutting staff to pull expenditure into line with available cashflow. I don't want to drag in negative sentiment but a lot of businesses are going through this now...

I could have this completely wrong and it could be just an IT problem, I hope I'm wrong but the signs look fairly omnious to me to be honest...

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I could have this completely wrong and it could be just an IT problem, I hope I'm wrong but the signs look fairly omnious to me to be honest...

Highly unlikely. I used to pay wages and I would give them a quick read before I sent them through for payment. I would imagine most payroll people do the same, as employees are very sensitive about their wages. :)

I find it odd that neither management nor payroll are willing to explain the situation.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. I used to pay wages and I would give them a quick read before I sent them through for payment. I would imagine most payroll people do the same, as employees are very sensitive about their wages. :)

I find it odd that neither management nor payroll are willing to explain the situation.

It doesn't look too good to be honest. I hope I'm wrong but as I've said, a lot of businesses are going through this sort of stuff lately. Keep us posted...

As I know tomorrow management meeting will be held. I am expecting some information after that.

Some people could be really sensitive now. One workmate from Dublin got just 600 Euros in wages :eek: instead of at least 2,5 k

As I know tomorrow management meeting will be held. I am expecting some information after that.

Some people could be really sensitive now. One workmate from Dublin got just 600 Euros in wages :eek: instead of at least 2,5 k

I think you have your answer there. If something like explaining that much of a shortfall is not priority number one, then something else is priority number one.

Still no news so far.
    No information at all.

Still no news so far.
    No information at all.

Jasus Serge, that's almost worse than news that the place is goin to the wall, which is the worst case scenario... I can imagine the atmosphere in there...

You know, people are calm, as that is hospitality industry, workers are mostly from Eastern European countries. So is big patience around.

I've asked some Irish lads what would they do - they wouldn't go for a work

We have not many members of SIPTU as well. So people just working and waiting.

But for me such situation absolutely unacceptable. Good while ago wages were paid 1 week later and there was explanation why. That's fine but current situation is a bit different

You know, people are calm, as that is hospitality industry, workers are mostly from Eastern European countries. So is big patience around.

I've asked some Irish lads what would they do - they wouldn't go for a work

We have not many members of SIPTU as well. So people just working and waiting.

But for me such situation absolutely unacceptable. Good while ago wages were paid 1 week later and there was explanation why. That's fine but current situation is a bit different

A lot of people wouldn't put up with this. I think most Irish people at this stage would have downed tools by now. I'm not saying that that is the answer but for maangement to just carry on as if everything is grand is not fair on staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

gather around request a meeting with management and an exmplenation. If a reasonable one is not presented, serve notice of an all out strike. Legal requirements for a strike can be obtained from SIPTU.

While a company does not have to pay you while on strike (but seeing as they aren;t anyway, that doesn't seem like a problem) but legally they can not fire you as a result of a strike.

You may be able to find other part time work whilst on strike (if required) to get a little extra cash. Seeing as the company will have no workers, they can't fire workers and cant take on new employees to cover strike as they still employ those staff, their hands will be tied and I believe they will begin to talk fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Be carefull with a strike. If the company is experiencing money problems, a strike may kill the company totally.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Be carefull with a strike. If the company is experiencing money problems, a strike may kill the company totally.

I wouldn't say a strike but I think maybe call an open meeting with management ASAP and emphasise that not much will be done until some accurate and believable information is forthcoming...

Any update on this Serge?

If these guys are having cash flow problems, they should come clean and then you can all discuss the options. You'd be surprised how loyal and resourceful some staff can be when the chips are down and how selfless people can be when a colective effort is needed to recover the situation.

We have just 20% of staff SIPTU members so not much we can do about the strike, this is very last step anyway I'd say.

Just few minutes ago I got call from payroll person, missing wages for our south branch staff should be transfered next Monday.

We have just 20% of staff SIPTU members so not much we can do about the strike, this is very last step anyway I'd say.

Just few minutes ago I got call from payroll person, missing wages for our south branch staff should be transfered next Monday.

I wouldn't be relying on SIPTU to be honest OP.

Advertisement