Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage for an IATI student

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all
    im a second year IATI student who has started the IAS module of the course just last night. im looking for the cheapest place to buy sage line 50 and sage payroll. we have the software on the computers for the course but i would like my own copy so that i can practise at home.

any other choice retailers for accountancy books would also be of help

many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 EI-EAY

When I was doing IATI we used TAS, I rang TAS from the company I worked for and asked for a demo disc which they sent out, and it was great for practicing at home. Line 50 starts at €970
    http://www.sage.ie/ps/accounting/l50/l50_pricingnb.asp

Good Luck with the course

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

good advice from above,
    rang sage they have a download facility on the site for IATI students but it requires a activation and serial number which is available from your tutor.

my advice to other IATI students who have any queries is email the CEO gay.sheehan@iati.ie direct as emailing anyone else in iati seems to take ages to reply thus negating the whole benefit of email i.e. speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Hi there Jack, good luck in the course. I just finished it this year. Hope you do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Froggie01

Hi All

Just finished IATI this year also, have started ACCA now.

I think buying SAGE yourself woudl be a bit of a waste, unless you have your own business of course.

I did TAS books in CIT, and while it was very annoying to do extra classes, i think almost 99 % people passed without actually learning how to use TAS for the future

You can write notes down nad take them into the exam, you do not have to remember anything at all..

Honestly, our "teacher" thought us TAS by numbers we just wrote down and brought the copy book into the exam.

Anyway, best of luck with 2nd year

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

what do you mean you can take your copy book in to the exam. i know some one was going on about a part book exam but if you are taking the notes aswell that would be freakin sweet.

ps on the transition from iati to acca how did you achieve that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Froggie01

Hi

Deffo we were able to bring in our notes, we didn;t get a "book" as such for Tas, so everyone just wrote stuff down..honestly if i look back now all i see is" How to enter an FX invoice - 1,2,5,2....learning by numbers...

I got 3 exemptions from ACCA (there are 14 exams in total)
    But they insit on credit pass on IT/Bus Mgmt, Accounting, and Costing and Bugeting, and you have to pay for the exemptions

In any case if you dont get the exemptions, the first 3 exams F1-F3 are all computer based exams with stuff very simialar to IATI, that you prob could pass them allright (if you did them straight after IATI so you donlt forget everything)..look online to see past exam papers and you will see what i mean (all compulsory mcqs)

Don't know yet how i'm doing with the step up from IATI to ACCA.
    I am doing law at home, and it is basically 2 year of the IATI in 3 months so that will give you an indication.

I am doing performance mgmt in Griffith college and the lecturer is excellent, but i think it is quite a leap up in standards ..bascially there is no messing about..quite intense.

We shall see how it goes...

Either way, try to get th Tas/Sage exam done ASAP, there was a big F**k up with CIT and it ended up with people scrambling to get it done before March, and getting annoyed at spending an extra night in college for 10 weeks , for basically ,nothing!

Take are

R

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Just do the weekend Sage/TAS course for IATI.

It's open book as mentioned before and a piece of P*ss.

Don't waste your money or time studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

I'm doing a correspondance course and the manual IATI provide is a joke. It's like someone started with good intentions giving example lost interest and started to waffle. All in all IATI is just a money making racket....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tweety#2

I am also doing IATI correspondance course and I have to agree with EoC. The manual is useless. It starts out ok and then as you prowl through the case studies, you are asked to perform tasks that appear nowhere in the manual... its a joke. I think it is designed so that Correspondance Students have no choice but to enrol for the Revision Course in Dublin (money, money, money!!).
    I have even noticed some errors in the manual ...in particular one of the case studies started with a trial balance that did not balance as more than one entry was on the wrong side!!! How are we supposed to learn correctly if they cant get it right??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ur2008

Hi all
    im a second year IATI student who has started the IAS module of the course just last night. im looking for the cheapest place to buy sage line 50 and sage payroll. we have the software on the computers for the course but i would like my own copy so that i can practise at home.

any other choice retailers for accountancy books would also be of help

many thanks

i think you can get the other virsion insted for practice, there r some on E-Mule, or somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hey

I am in second year as well

The IATI website has a free download. it is identical to the version you should be using in college.

they also have all the pilot papers there to upload, along with the solutions

http://www.iati.ie/Examinations/Pilot_Papers/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Just do the weekend Sage/TAS course for IATI.

It's open book as mentioned before and a piece of P*ss.

Don't waste your money or time studying.

jaysis, i dont know i have been doing it since October and i still havent got my head about the leasing question

i think the manual is very good but it is not worth €50.00 for a few photocopied pages.

my college has organised a 10aam - 5pm IAS seminer the week before the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ellips

Having done IATI I have no choice but to agree that it is a money making racket, but its still possible to make the best out of it for yourself and learn some useful things along the way.
    I also did the TAS exam and to be honest i think you need to struggle to fail it. From what I remember it starts with setting up a co, details, open couple of DR/CR accounts, post a few sales, CR notes and invoices, Bank rec and JL and a few reports. You will get the most standard basic transactions - the only odd one was a lease, but if you can't do it you still won't lose much.
    For anyone frustrated about incorrect entries in IATI study material - I so know it!! I tried working through the Costing and Budgeting exam papers as many as I could get from the website and the amount of errors in the answers part was ridiculous. You try doing the question on your own and check against the answer and no matter what you do - they won't match. So you take the exam paper and go through every step of the solution and whoa - there you go - wrong things divided or percentages mistyped and it all ends up wrong. If i hadn't printed the exams on quality paper i could at least have wiped my butt with them!

Advertisement