Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armalites

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Armalites.....I am so bored to tears at seeing
    so many varients of the same thing re-hashed over
    and over and over again.

Just wondering abouts peoples opinions on them?
    What is the apeal of Armalite like AEG's?

A new Grip, a new stock, a new body that is ever ever so slightly different or made from a different material
    to all the others. I just dont get it. There is a constant
    supply of airsoft news regading new bits and pieces to add
    varients to the M4/M15/M16 look it just gets silly.

I have two M4's myself and plan on getting an M15A1 at
    some stage. But I just dont get the Buzz or why they appear to be the
    most popular or common airsoft next to the AK's

I never liked armalites or AKs growing up,
    and with regard to airsoft I only got some as they were a
    must have for any airsoft collection.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'm a H&K man myself (G3, 2 MP5s, UMP) but I like the look of some armalites. The only one that I would really want would be similar to the one used by Arnie in Predator.
    That said, I am seriously considering getting a HK416, pretty Armalite like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have a liking to Armalites, because of their simplicity, what i consider nice looks, and abundant addons.

Also you must remember I'm from the counter strike age, so having a colt is like...a must.

I personally fell in love with the m16 with 203 launcher when i realised you could get it in airsoft version, and i splashed out on it.

And its in my top 3 guns in airsoft.
    2nd being the G&G CQBH with halo silencer
    3rd Being the VFC 416, which vtec owns, which I think is absolutely gorgous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

I've always liked the shape of the AR15, I don't know what it is about it (I'm guessing growing up on a diet of US movies and the like) but it's always was the toy gun I wanted etc.

As for them being popular there's lots of them out there, they're cheap to buy, there's a world of aftermarket parts and add-ons for them out there.

I like P90's because of Stargate (when they first came out and I seen one I hated it), G36's always look cool in movies but I've yet to see an airsoft one that didn't look like a lump of plastic (UMP's aren't much better), MP5's are cool also but to me the M4 always looks good!

One thing I do love about my M4 is the fact that I can find now and interesting parts to change or add to it easily (e.g. put a ris on the front, change the stock or pistol grip and the like).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

The M4/M15/M16 basic body is purely functional. There isn't even a hint of aesthetics in the design. They represent the minimum of what it takes to make a modern assault rifle usable - moreso than even the AK series (which are pretty stripped down as it is). They are in fact so ugly that they become sort of beautiful in way. I'm not a fan myself but maybe your question should be: What makes a particular gun design attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Gotta say that I am a fan of the Armalite (I own two and I'll be buying more). It's simply so varsatile with a variation to fit nearly every role.

That said, I understand your sentiment, they are so common its hard not to get just a little sick of them.

But then I have a taste for FN's work so I may not be the best judge on this one :p

• Advertisement

kevteljeur wrote: »
    What makes a particular gun design attractive?

Not being designed by FN by all accounts...

There is something truly hideouos about the FN designs but by golly they do the job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I never liked them at all., but their good, comfy and easy to use, plenty of accessories for them too and mags are interchangable., so now i have a heap of them., :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

I started with an MP5-SD love it, but since i got my M4 i have to say its taken out more now, i think the attraction is the fact that they can be modified so easily personalised even, the MP5 can have a few attachments nothing major. i will be adding to my armalites over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Gotta say that I am a fan of the Armalite (I own two and I'll be buying more). It's simply so varsatile with a variation to fit nearly every role.

That said, I understand your sentiment, they are so common its hard not to get just a little sick of them.

But then I have a taste for FN's work so I may not be the best judge on this one :p
    Not being designed by FN by all accounts...

There is something truly hideouos about the FN designs but by golly they do the job!

Take that back! The Scar is an FN beastie, and a fine piece of engineering it is too. Took me a while to warm to it, but it's just teh sexeh when you get right down to it.

I have an M15A4 although I'm not hell-bent on Armalites. I like them in their unmodified state more often than note; so to see them with all manner of attachments hanging off them makes me wince. If it's more than a scope and maybe an M203, I'm thinking "ick" simply because it can be a rare day you see an unmodified one take to the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stone.cold wrote: »
    I started with an MP5-SD love it, but since i got my M4 i have to say its taken out more now, i think the attraction is the fact that they can be modified so easily personalised even, the MP5 can have a few attachments nothing major. i will be adding to my armalites over time.

Ever think that that is due to the fact that the MP5 is an SMG while the M4 is a rifle, much better for field games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

Ever think that that is due to the fact that the MP5 is an SMG while the M4 is a rifle, much better for field games.
    no to be honest i had the MP5 for months and it never let me down in the field, the point i was making was not which was better in the field but which is more personal

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

G36k all the way! only reason I'd consider an Armalite would be for the GBB function that the WA M4 offers.

Lemming wrote: »
    Take that back! The Scar is an FN beastie, and a fine piece of engineering it is too. Took me a while to warm to it, but it's just teh sexeh when you get right down to it.

I will not take it back ... the SCAR looks like the M4's club-footed cousin!

(... and I would take one to bed and make sweet passionate love to its deformities all night long)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

My earliest memories of the image of the Armalite for me started with watching too Much of the A-Team and getting toy versions as a child. As a Kid I always wondered about the design of the carrying handle. I remember I had an almost full scale Toy M15 that made a noise when you pulled the trigger.....thinking back on it it looked pretty real. Nobody would bat an eyelid back then, it may cause wide spread public panic in this day and age. ;)

I cant remember where I saw it but some website's great news about an upcoming
    product was a new Armalite Receiver that was Camo Green instead of Black, with the bonus of having "Trads" painted in a grayish white colour. Now to me thats nothing to write home about and for the life of me I can never remember seeing real armalites with white letters painted on the receivers so not sure why they exist of airsoft versions.
    (Maybe they do exist on Real Steel but I've not seem em)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

I will not take it back ... the SCAR looks like the M4's club-footed cousin!

(... and I would take one to bed and make sweet passionate love to its deformities all night long)

lmao

i love my m4 but am going to get a g36c soon enough

I think changing mags in an armalite is pretty cool too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Armalites to me and I think most people pop into mind as soon as the hear the word...soldier..Or war or some other thing like that.

Its pretty much army personified

Arnie in this video, is pretty much the reason i bought the airsoft version of his gun :)

Sweeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Never a fan either. But I do love the AK. They're sort of like Black and White when you're a kid, the AK and Armalite, the staple weapons of any 80's action movie ..... That said I only dislike the Armalite, I absolutely despise the Scar and G3....

almost actually puked when I saw this though. :D

Advertisement