Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Alarms and Emergancy Lighting in apartment blocks - legislation

Options
  • 23-09-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Have done some searching on this and coming up with a blank so decided to throw this out to you all.

Is there legislation in place where apartment blocks are obliged to have fire alarms in place as part of the block on top floor apartments where the roof space is connecting over multiple blocks?

If so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to the correct legislation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mikros

There is no legislation governing the requirements for fire management that go into such specifics. They are all fairly general like the Fire Services Act 1981 or The Building Control Act 1990 and associated regulations.

Maybe have a read of the Department of Environments guide to Fire Safety in Flats http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/LocalGovernment/FireandEmergencyServices/FileDownLoad,1024,en.pdf

The relevant standard of Fire Detection systems can be found in IS3218:1989, and should be to L3X level according to the above. That means there is no requirement for alarms in roof voids.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Normally, fire compartmentalisation should continue to the underside of the roof. Ideally it should be solid structure, but there may be other options in some circumstances.

If you feel that fire could easily spread from one block to another, it should be brought to the attention of the management company. If you do not recieve a satisfactory response, feel free to ask the Fire Officer of your local council to look at it.

While fire generally spreads up, fire could spread into the attic, thereby collapsing the roof. It might have a low to moderate risk to human life, but has a moderate to high risk to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The reason I am looking for this info is because the management company are trying to charge the top floor apartments in our block for firm alarms that are fitted to the top floor apartments as an extra. My understanding is they are there for everyones benefit.

There is also talk of them having heat sensors in all the apartments in the block but I need to confirm that with the company that installed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Sounds like there is no one from the top floor on the board of the management company, and they are trying to offset this cost from the other floors to yours. Their logic would appear flawed alright.

Advertisement