Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

renault grand espace II - massive problems!

Options
  • 23-09-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i have a 2003 espace 1.9dci. i've had it for 2 years now. over the past 12 months i have had nothing but problems. first the turbo went, then the automatic handbrake, then a wheel bearing, then the timing belt went with only 42000 kms on it. the garage repaired the car and i got it back on fri eve. on sat eve the car wouldn't start again and the garage collected it yesterday afternoon and the diagnostic test suggested the crank shaft was damaged. i am not a mechanical person and am wondering how much work this will involve and how much this might cost.... am really quite angry with the garage and shoddy workmanship... any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

x400d wrote: »
    i have a 2003 espace 1.9dci. i've had it for 2 years now. over the past 12 months i have had nothing but problems. first the turbo went, then the automatic handbrake, then a wheel bearing, then the timing belt went with only 42000 kms on it. the garage repaired the car and i got it back on fri eve. on sat eve the car wouldn't start again and the garage collected it yesterday afternoon and the diagnostic test suggested the crank shaft was damaged. i am not a mechanical person and am wondering how much work this will involve and how much this might cost.... am really quite angry with the garage and shoddy workmanship... any advice?

Let me get this straight, the timing belt broke. They repaired the engine, gave it back to you... then the very next day it won't start cause the crank shaft is damaged??

It would all depend on the nature of the damage to the crankshaft, but there's a 99% chance its related to them fixing the broken timing belt. Hence it should cost you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was the timeing belt damage repaird in a Renault dealer? and more to the point did you pay for it because I would have thought youd have a case to go through Renault for some/all of the cost. Without knowing more infor I'd say the garage are chancing their arm.

My cousins radiator blew in his 04 Elise and he is getting compensated through Lotus (this was the 2nd time in 6 months , apparently its a known issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 x400d

the timing belt was replaced by the renault main dealer at 100000km and broke at 142000km about 3rd wk aug. the car was in the garage at the beginning july when they repaired the wheel bearing and put new discs and pads in the back brakes. when i paid they gave me a sheet of paper telling me they had checked the car and the only other thing wrong with it was a leaky front suspension thing which needed repairing but not immediately. when the timing belt broke they said it broke because the fan belt broke into pieces and a piece went into the pulley of the timing belt and broke it. i said that they fan belt couldn't have deteriorated that much in 6 weeks and that if they had checked the car 6 weeks ago like they said they had they should have spotted the fanbelt was wearing and replaced it. therefore i said i wasn't paying for their negligence. to cut a long story short i ended up paying 25% of the total bill with renault warranty covering 50% and the garage covering the other 25%. i spoke with the gen mgr of the dealership who assured me my car was safe for me to put my 4 kids in to and would be checked from top to bottom before leaving their premises................. obviously that didn't happen. the car was picked up 36 hours ago, i rang yesterday at 12 and was told someone would ring me back, i'm still waiting. by the way the only way i know that it's the crankshaft is an overheard conversation, nothing has been told to me yet...............

Advertisement