Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lipstick Jungle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Lipstick Jungle

Monday, LivingTV
    Why watch it?
    With a click of Jimmy Choos, the smouldering hit drama, Lipstick Jungle arrives on our screens this week. If you were a devoted Sex and the City fan then you'll absolutely love this, as both began as novels written by Candace Bushnell. With hip and powerful females at the centre of the plot it's sure to become a staple on your TV schedule. Lipstick Jungle has a lot of buzz surrounding it and Stateside both critics and viewers have greeted it with open arms. The show famously beat rival show Cashmere Mafia in the US ratings last year in what was dubbed as the 'Cashmere Wars'. Lipstick Jungle was the only show to be picked up for a second series which is currently in production in New York City. Sure, it's catchphrase; "It's a jungle out there, dress accordingly" is a little cheesy, but the show promises not to be, with its chic wardrobe, sexy plotlines and witty dialogue.
    What's it all about?
    Set against the glamorous backdrop of New York City, the series follows the glitzy but complicated lives of three super-successful best friends as they navigate the whirlpools of high-powered careers, high maintenance relationships, and of course, high-fashioned wardrobes!
    Who's who?
    Three powerful women who are best friends; Wendy, Nico and Victory have just been named among New York's 50 most powerful women. Wendy Healy, a film executive, is played by Brooke Shields. Victory Ford, a fashion designer, is played by Lindsay Price and Nico Reilly, a magazine editor, is played by Kim Raver.
    Lindsay Price
    New York Fashion Week is in full swing, and designer Victory Ford, played by Lindsay Price, is ready to reclaim her title as the 'It' designer, but reviews such as "out with the old, in with the new" don't help her cause. Romance is on the up, as billionaire Joe Bennet (Andrew McCarthy) romances her in his own inimitable way, with his secretary asking her out for him. Despite telling herself she won't like him, she finds his charming arrogance enticing, and even submits to his help when a business meeting in Japan doesn't go as planned - sending her his private jet, and a cupcake to cheer her up.
    Of her role, Lindsay says "I think the thing I like most about Victory is that she is successful in the business world but she doesn't make any apologies for wearing her heart on her sleeve or being an emotional person, or maybe sometimes not being the most censored or reserved with what she has to say."
    Victory's stats:
    Strength: "Victory doesn't do anything halfway," Price says.
    Weakness: "She's starting to wonder if her success was a fluke."
    Signature line: "All I own is a busted career and 200 pairs of shoes."
    Romance: Andrew McCarthy plays a blue-eyed billionaire who could rescue Victory and her company.
    Nemesis: She has several, including an ex-assistant who steals her work.
    Fashion Sense: Romantic and whimsical.
    Brooke Shields
    Movie executive Wendy Healy played by Brook Shields does everything she can to balance her career and family, but stay-at-home husband Shane (Paul Blackthorne) is struggling with his role in the equation, wanting to be more than just Wendy Healy's husband. The top executive at Parador Pictures, Wendy is also a mother, a wife, a best friend and a consummate professional, running between finding new schools for her children, stopping rogue former nannies from selling "their story", sealing a film deal with the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio and making her husband feel like he's actually the one wearing the trousers. Of her role, Shields explains it was love at first sight. "When I first read the book in hardcover, I just fell in love with it thinking that it was something I would want to do. When the script came up I found out I was pregnant and no longer going to be eligible to play the part and I just thought 'well I'm just going to have to be a fan then'. And then time went on, and they decided to do some changes on the script. By then I had my baby and as the fates would have it, I was able to come in and play Wendy."
    Wendy's stats:
    Strength: "She's highly capable of multi-tasking," Shields says.
    Weakness: "She beats herself up if things are not perfect."
    Signature Line: "I can handle it."
    Romance: Wendy's musician husband (Paul Blackthorne) restlessly plays Mr Mom.
    Nemesis: Publisher Janice Lasher (Lorraine Bracco), who wants to ruin Wendy with a nasty ex-nanny's diary.
    Fashion Sense: Well-tailored classics, including pieces from Courrèges and Chanel.
    Kim Raver
    Nico Reilly played by Kim Raver is the editor-in-chief of hot new fashion magazine Bonfire. She runs a very tight ship but struggles to keep from being stabbed in the back by ambitious colleagues. A no-nonsense businesswoman who can hang with the best of the boys' club, she is also very much a staple part of her high-powered girlfriend's lives. Her marriage is coasting along, with her husband Charles becoming increasingly inattentive, so she unexpectedly starts an affair with young, hot photographer's assistant, Kirby Atwood (Robert Buckley). Of her role Kim says
    "For me, with Nico I love that she's not afraid to speak her mind. She's unedited and she doesn't apologise for who she is, which I think is key to who she is."
    Nico's stats:
    Strength: "She's smart, skilled and not afraid to say what she's thinking"
    Weakness: "She's not afraid to say what she's thinking and loudly!"
    Signature Line: "When they smell fear in this town, it's over."
    Romance: Just as her marriage to her former professor (Christopher Cousins) loses its sizzle, she rebounds with a hot young photo assistant (Robert Buckley).
    Nemesis: 'Bonfire' marketing head Mike Harness (David Alan Basche), who will do anything for Nico's job.
    Fashion Sense: Luxurious items like alligator Christian Dior pumps and Zac Posen dresses.

22:30Starts tonight on TG4

Lipstick Jungle
    Stylish, sassy New York-based comedy drama about three high-powered female friends juggling their hectic careers and intricate love lives. Nico has to deal with marriage issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

i think i might watch that.. is it any good?

i have watched 7 eps on the web and am 2 eps into season 2

its brill ,couldnt recommend it more, 5 stars

as good as SATC with a different concept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

am really enjoying it, Andrew McCartney has become a hottie!! i love nicco she was good in 24 and was also in Third Watch.

great shoes and clothes - needed my fix after sex in the city.

• Advertisement

Has this show been cancelled in the US?

What happened to TG4 showing it, it wasnt on last night? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

JP Liz wrote: »

What happened to TG4 showing it, it wasnt on last night? :confused:

It has been announced that Season 3 will not be commissioned. However, following on from that decision, the ratings for Season 2 improved, so that decision could be changed.

The Starter Wife started on TG4 last night at 22:30 which is, in the opinion of the missus, way better than LJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

TG4 showed all of season one but it was only seven episodes. I'm hoping they'll show season 2 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

JP Liz wrote: »

Have a read of this. Doesn't answer your question, but updates current situation. May contain Season 2 spoilers ..

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/arts/television/01lips.html?_r=1&ref=television

NBC announced today that Zombie Brooke Shields and Co. will live to multitask another day, as reports of the show's death may have been greatly exaggerated after all. "We officially have not canceled Lipstick Jungle," said Angela Bromstad, the president of NBC Universal's production studio. "I think there are alternatives we may look into. It's all a conversation for the fall," she said.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 browneyedgirl

im trying to find out what episodes of lipstick jungle are being shown on either tg4 or living tv. just finished watching series 1 on dvd

anyone have any ideas

ok wait, i see now that living tv is on episode 10 of series two. so whats tg4 on..............anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

TarfHead wrote: »
    The Starter Wife started on TG4 last night at 22:30 which is, in the opinion of the missus, way better than LJ.

There is talk of Lipstick Jungle moving to another network, we'll have to wait and see. The Starter Wife was officially cancelled this weekend - tell you wife not to get too attached!!

USA cancels 'The Starter Wife'

im trying to find out what episodes of lipstick jungle are being shown on either tg4 or living tv. just finished watching series 1 on dvd

anyone have any ideas

ok wait, i see now that living tv is on episode 10 of series two. so whats tg4 on..............anyone???

Living TV is showing Series 2

TG4 are showing this from 27/07 - i'm not sure if it will start from Season 1 or Season 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

I'm so sad the show was cancelled! I really enjoyed it!

Advertisement