Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble In Work - Gargle

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Got a dressing down in work today for missing Monday (again).
    Trouble is I cant seem to say no to going for pints on Sundays when everyone else is going even though I know I could end up missing work and in trouble. Really need to get myself a girlfriend and get my act together but it is proving very hard to do.
    I work for the civil service, what are the typical diciplinary procedures before you are in real big trouble - verbal/written warnings?

Feeling very down and like a waster at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

to be honest, you need to cop on. Get a girlfriend isn't the issue, its copping on time. Civil Service or private, its not tolerated and will always be remembered.
    Go out Fri and Sat nite and maybe get friends who do this also. No sympathy OP, sorry but you need to get your finger out

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I agree with the previous poster - the problem is not getting a girlfriend, the problem is common sense - Sunday drinking habits clearly don't work for you. Are you asking for information on disciplinary procedures so you will know how much you can get away with before it gets serious?

If you want to booze on Sunday then get a job where you don't have to work Monday, but I think it's a madman that arranges his employment around his drinking habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

I work for the civil service.

There are thousands trying to get employment in the Civil Service every year so dont mees it up and get sacked.

The majority of us find it hard to get to work on Mondays whether its drink related or otherwise. Set your alarm to go off earlier than you need so you have some snooze time. Have a good breakfast like fried egg on toast rather than a cereal to help get you on your feet. Try a pint of water before you go to bed, definitely helps reduce the hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I can never understand people who ring in sick after a day or night of drinking. Shows poor form imo. Either drag youself to work or don't drink when you have work the next day. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Only go out for pints on a Sunday if the mates you're going with also have to get up for an early work day the next day. And then sleep on one of their couches instead of going home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Do you go out Fridays and Saturdays? If not you need to start tbh so that you won't be gumming for a pint by the time Sunday evening comes. The days of people being cavelier about thie job is gone, there will be a queue a mile long of people waiting to fill your shoes if you f8ck up buddy, so time to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Eh......stop drinking on Sundays.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Do you want us to say no to your sunday pints for you? Because the solution to your problem seems very obvious to me. And not to you seemingly because you think a girlfriend is the answer. If you're going down a slippery slope then don't drag someone with you or rely on someone coming along to pick you up.

If you must drink yourself into such a state that you're absolutely hanging the next day then should you be drinking at all? Just that you don't seem to be able to stop once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Found this as an example of what can happen to you:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2008/06/22/story33858.asp

Some places may give you a verbal warning and then put you on probation and if you **** up again they may give you a written warning. If after 6 months you have had no days off they may wipe the record clean and go back to square one!

PS You are already in big trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Grow up and start acting like an responsible adult. It does my head in when people miss days at work due to their social activities. If you can't handle your drink then give it a miss the night before work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems - you can still post unregistered.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It sound like your options are pretty simple:

1) Find the will power to come home early on a Sunday evening or don't go out at all. Perhaps pre-arrange something else to do during the spot when you'd normally head out.

2) If you can't manage do that then go talk to your doctor and get a referral to for addiction counseling. If it goes this far you'll probably be advised to give up alcohol totally for a period of time.

3) If you don't do either of those you'll eventually with no job or on medical leave to avoid yourself getting sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Xcellor

What a society we live in...

You have Friday night to get sozzled. Saturday night to do the same.

Might be harsh to some but you are a waster if you can't get your priorities right.

Work = Money
    Money = Booze
    No work = No booze

With loads of people out of work at the moment and struggling I view your "problem" with contempt. Get yourself in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Own up to your responsibilities;
    You have a problem with alcohol that is affecting your life. You probably don't see that yet.
    If you can't sort it out by yourself, then seek professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

If you are showing a pattern of being off Mondays, this will be mentioned if you are brought before HR. They can take away your USL's for 2years and put you on probation, this would of course be a verbal,then a written. If you get a verbal,you will get it in writting first.

Where I work, the first one goes on your record for six months, next one is longer. Then a whole lot of other procedures follow,loss of OT,demotion all the way up to dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

cant believe this post has gotten so many replies!! the guy knows what everyone is going to say, he knows he's in the wrong and needs to cop the F**k on.

Anyone risking their job over a few scoops on a sunday, in this day and age needs their head examined. no sympathy mate, cop the F**K on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

fguihen wrote: »
    cant believe this post has gotten so many replies!! the guy knows what everyone is going to say, he knows he's in the wrong and needs to cop the F**k on.

Anyone risking their job over a few scoops on a sunday, in this day and age needs their head examined. no sympathy mate, cop the F**K on.

If you read the OP you will see that the only question he asks is this one:
    I work for the civil service, what are the typical diciplinary procedures before you are in real big trouble - verbal/written warnings?

Only 2 replies in the whole thread related to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

RosieJoe wrote: »

And he wouldn't have to ask such as question if he copped the f**k on and stopped missing work due to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

RosieJoe wrote: »

That's what normally happens when someone goes online to ask random Internet strangers what their internal work policy is. Also, you can hardly expect constructive answers when your question can be rephrased to 'how far can I push it?'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Hi,

Feeling very down and like a waster at the moment.

A lot will depend on the section and department you are in.Some areas come the heavy much more readily than others. One guy I know with a drink problem was ok in one department but then he changed department. After he went missing one day he was called in and told if he did not go to an alcohol treatment centre and complete a course he would be fired. Another guy in a different department had trouble in his early years but then settled down. It was all forgotten about and he now has a very senior position.
    If it gets very serious the Personnel section get involved.

The thing is, when you are in a hole stop digging! Every missed Monday is going to be noted and recorded. Find ways of avoiding your friends on Sundays. Make sure that you are not available to go drinking on Sundays. If a year passes and you haven't missed a Monday your previous difficulties will likely be forgotten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement