Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance / rent-a-room scheme

Options
  • 23-09-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

Question.....

I own my house and I've just begun renting a room to a lodger to help make ends meet.

I read somewhere that I had to notify my insurance company (Ulster Bank Insurance) and they've told me that I'll lose my "accidental damage cover".

Any ideas on what that is? And why I'll lose it? Does it only cover damage to contents, or does it include damage to the building from the date of rental. (I've got rising damp under my stairs and I'll be submitting a claim shortly....)

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

matiz wrote: »
    Hi all,

Question.....

I own my house and I've just begun renting a room to a lodger to help make ends meet.

I read somewhere that I had to notify my insurance company (Ulster Bank Insurance) and they've told me that I'll lose my "accidental damage cover".

Any ideas on what that is? And why I'll lose it? Does it only cover damage to contents, or does it include damage to the building from the date of rental. (I've got rising damp under my stairs and I'll be submitting a claim shortly....)

Cheers in advance!
    Firstly I’m not sure if rising damp is covered on home insurance policies – if it is can you tell me who your inaurer is??

Accidental damage – one claim I had was I was putting up a mirror over a sink & dropped the hammer and cracked the sink – insurance company pais. It will cover things like breaking valuables in the house, spilling a mop bucket over a computer etc. Leaving a tap run & flooding the place, setting fire to the kitchen etc

It is cancelled if you rent out a room as they figure strangers have little or no respect for the people whose homes they are renting rooms in. If they happen to set fire to your house good luck tying to claim! Some companies will also nullify theft insurance if renting out a room. Be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

When I started the rent a room thing a couple of years ago, I rang my insurer and they (FBD) said that if it was two lodgers or less, there would be no extra charge and the policy as it was would stand.
    Best check directly with your insurer. Policies vary.
    Accidental damage – one claim I had was I was putting up a mirror over a sink & dropped the hammer and cracked the sink – insurance company pais. It will cover things like breaking valuables in the house, spilling a mop bucket over a computer etc. Leaving a tap run & flooding the place, setting fire to the kitchen etc
    As a matter of interest, do home insurance policies increase by much when you put in a claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Eurorunner wrote: »

As a matter of interest, do home insurance policies increase by much when you put in a claim?

Nope!

Advertisement