Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Mags do you use?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

After all the chat in the M4 thread about box mags I though I'd stick up a poll asking which types of mag you use the most and why?

I'm also interested in people opinion of real caps (I just got 5 PMAGs) and low caps - as in can you really use them in a skirmish and have any sort of chance?

And for the people who use high caps is it just because it came with you're aeg or did you get more?

Me I like mid caps. I notice when I use them I get hit less (makes me use cover) and I generally hit my targets (no spray & pray because I won't have the ammo and I wait till they get closer too). And it's also nice to get to swap mags from time to time :D

Which type of AEG mag do you regularly use? 45 votes

Real cap or low cap
    0% 0 votes
    Mid caps
    4% 2 votes
    High caps (or box mag on a M249 etc)
    75% 34 votes
    Box mag (on a M4/MP5/G36/AK etc)
    20% 9 votes
    Mix and match
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Ah ye olde invisible poll :p

I use mid caps. I have 2 M4 hi-caps and an MP5 hi-cap which all came with guns but I bought boxes of MP5 an M4 mid caps because I prefer to not rattle and I like the feel of having to switch mags more often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Sorry it should be up on, was a bit slow filling it in! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

depends on the aeg i'm using and what/who i'm playing

i have a upgraded g36c with c mag no stock and a front handle on ris

its the ultimate do all airsoft gun and if i'm playing crazy soft then i happy to use it

i loive my p90 and prefer to use it on semi auto i'd use mids if they m,ade them (mabey soom)

if i want to spray and pray and i feel that the g36c is being a bit un sporting then i use the saw with a box mag i feel that the weight makes it a "propper support gun"

if i was playing in competition i'd put the stock on my g36c and use mids in it

but ifi was playing in competition i'd expect people who had been repeatedly video ignoring the bbs bouncing off them to be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

After all the chat in the M4 thread about box mags I though I'd stick up a poll asking which types of mag you use the most and why?

I'm also interested in people opinion of real caps (I just got 5 PMAGs) and low caps - as in can you really use them in a skirmish and have any sort of chance?

And for the people who use high caps is it just because it came with you're aeg or did you get more?

Me I like mid caps. I notice when I use them I get hit less (makes me use cover) and I generally hit my targets (no spray & pray because I won't have the ammo and I wait till they get closer too). And it's also nice to get to swap mags from time to time :D
    Well you know my thinkin on mags, where as a high cap is good to have in your pouch as a back up i prefer the realism of the mid caps, changing mags every couple of encounters is much more real for me, plus i hate being unloaded on by a high cap

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i use midcaps with my m26, it adds a fun dimension to the game ,reloading :)

I have highcaps for my g36c, basically because im not bothered buying new one, my vests dont hold g36c mags well, i can only fit two, 3 if you include the one in the gun. So for the sake of comfort, I use hicaps with the g36c.

However, i was turned to the darkside of midcaps ( perhaps the light side?)

And find it alot more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I use locaps as standard in most of my gear and switch to realcaps for milsim games. I use midcap M4 mags in my M249 rather than the box mag so I suppose they'd technically be a realcap in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

NakedDex wrote: »
    I use locaps as standard in most of my gear and switch to realcaps for milsim games. I use midcap M4 mags in my M249 rather than the box mag so I suppose they'd technically be a realcap in that case.

tho i applaud that behaviour our low fps limits mean that real caps arent
    abot 3x seems fair to me for milsim

It hasn't bothered or affected me once. I generally use 50round locaps in regular skirmish games where, without exaggerating, everyone else was using midcaps, high caps or (/shudder) box mags. I never feel at disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

I use 5-6 midcaps (holding 120 rounds each).

I like the gear-side of Airsoft and the real feel of our AEGs. Part of that is switching mags, especially in a fire fight.
    Sure it makes it necessary to conserve your fire, but it also forces you to shoot at what you think or know you can hit rather than just laying down a stream of endless BBs.

With hicaps all that goes out the window really - and there's no real need for gear then either :)

I'd never ever go to hicaps (and only played with hicaps once when renting).

Edit: Before getting the PTW, I used locaps on my M4 and G36. I agree with NakedDex; there's no disadvantage on using locaps or midcaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Can we not have multiple choice in the Poll , different mags for different loadouts?

I use high-caps in my G3 as most mid caps available are either crap or too expensive.

I use mid-caps in my M4 around 10 or so
    And mid caps in my G36 and MP5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

HiCaps when i'm lazy and rattle isn't an issue. Other wise midcaps on both my Steyr & G36C.
    I think lowcaps would be a pain in the ass and kinda pointless if everyone else is using mid/hip-caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

I use LoLCaps :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    I use LoLCaps :p

oh dear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Midcaps for me. I do keep a spare hi-cap handy for emergencies but much prefer midcaps for all the usual reasons. I think, given the accuracy of AEGs generally, that lo- or real-caps are maybe too restrictive. And as for box or c-mags... We've been there. Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

Lowcaps for my Aug Dmr
    lowcaps and midcaps for my SPR
    mids for mp5k +1 28 round lowcap [life saver at times] :pac:
    Box for my Shrike Lmg
    the rest of my guns are shotties or pistols. I never carry back up highcaps and have sold or given away any that ive gotten with a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Mid-caps is preference (or Box for support weapons obviously), although I'll work with what I have available (e.g. high-cap on a VFC BAR)

I agree with NakedDex; there's disadvantage on using locaps or midcaps.

That's not what I said at all? I said I find absolutely no disadvantage in using locaps or realcaps, even when coming against people with between 5 and 60 times my ammo capacity. (By the way, that's the stark contrast of box mags. Per mag, they carry 30 times more ammo than a midcap)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

100 rd mids.

Its not the lack of accuracy in airsoft, but the very real ability to dive back into cover before a stream of bb's even reaches you, so approx 3x real capacity is reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

nothing worse than trying to get the drop on a guy when he has his finger on the trigger for what seems an eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

That's not what I said at all? I said I find absolutely no disadvantage in using locaps or realcaps, even when coming against people with between 5 and 60 times my ammo capacity. (By the way, that's the stark contrast of box mags. Per mag, they carry 30 times more ammo than a midcap)

Oops - I left out the most important word in that sentence :)
    I do agree with you. There is NO disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mid caps. Got a high cap with my gun, sold it. Don't like the rattling and winding, plus I prefer a somewhat more realistic approach. Would use low caps if Irish sites sold low cap AK mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Mid caps. Got a high cap with my gun, sold it. Don't like the rattling and winding, plus I prefer a somewhat more realistic approach. Would use low caps if Irish sites sold low cap AK mags.

try red-alliance.com, they have a classifieds section.

Mags are some of the easiest things in the world to import, no downgrading or high shipping costs, import a few, but if its an ak47, make sure you get metal mids, the plastic ones look sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Mid caps...I really really hate having to wind up Highcaps...I know its not often but Its often enough and combined with rattiling can really do my head in.

Switching maggs is one of those things that has to be done and it just happens to fun at the same time, So do it often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

I use mids in all my guns. Real caps are a problem when it comes to AK's, there aren't many. I have 10 STAR 7.62 AK reals (plastic unfortunatly) but I don't know of any 5.45 type real caps, as far as I know there aren't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

mid caps are pretty much the same price, and for 300ish less bb space.
    I go for high caps for economic reasons.....

A STANAG high cap is 15 euro and holds 300 rounds. A STANAG midcap is 6 euro and holds 130 rounds, so two of them would be 12 euro holding 260 rounds. There's not that much in the difference when you look at it. If you don't mind missing 40 bbs, you'll actually save yourself 3 bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I use mid-caps in my M15. I have 1 mid's and two hicaps which I fill, wind up and then empty the rest out so they are effectively midcaps. Seems a shame to waste them.

I have 6 mid-caps for the MP5 and will be getting 8 more.

The other side of it is, I have 3 hi-caps for the M14 cos mid-caps are fairly hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

midcaps for the m4 hi-caps for the mp5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

It really depends on which AEG I'm using with my g36c I use 1 real cap and 1 hi cap, With my M16a4 I use 1 hi cap which came with my AEG and I use 5 mid caps because if I had more then 1 hi cap I would lose the plot because that bloody rattle does my face in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

mid caps for the m4. Love them i like the realism aspect the add, when your playing. Changeing mags ect ect. Also have a m249 para but i only use the box mag for that ammo hungry bad boy

Advertisement