Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving €'s on contact lenses

Options
  • 23-09-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

http://www.daysoftlenses.com

I use daily disposables & pay €90 for 3 months supply from Specsavers. I decided to have a look online & ordered 4 months of dailies from the above site for €55 incl. delivery. I have worn these lenses & they're fine!! All you do is select the contacts you currently use & the equivalent will pop up for you on the webpage. Use your prescription which is written on each lense packaging you have used & hey presto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thanks for the link but contacts are one thing I won't buy a no-name brand for. They get you to choose the contacts you wear, then they suggest a suitable replacement that they provide.
    If you want the real deal, http://yourlenses.ie are great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I used to pick contacts for the gf off this site: www.aclens.com

There's plenty of brands there and they're good value.

From ordering off them 7-8 times, I only exprienced hassle with delivery once. Guessing they got picked up by customs. I sent them an e-mail anyway about the lack of delivery and they sent another set without extra cost which I did receive ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Vision Express offers 3 pairs of monthly contact lenses for €65. I compared this price with the prices on http://yourlenses.ie and the difference is only €5 not including delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

How long does delivery take?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

visiondirect.com are excellent for lenses. I've been ordering from them for years without trouble - saved me a fortune! :)

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Vision Express offers 3 pairs of monthly contact lenses for €65. I compared this price with the prices on http://yourlenses.ie and the difference is only €5 not including delivery.

Sure I get them at Specsavers for €60 for three months including 3 bottles of solution.

http://www.specsaversdirect.ie/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/ctrydelv.w?UckUcZllaaIpkkac=&POlfigXkjkjkWbdq=&SblzdbFStskKccak=&bjChcdFkUYaquHii=ie&pfjdXXRkcxxcakLa=&dfkfadaEjbfidjhi=&eyElKdweVSzdhipl=&cdiHkiickangpkca=&baibklficlDdHnnZ=&etqjdAiifjSdWkdl=ie&GlhqkgkkbdbEinAR=&bcdikbndQjdEUaka=&bbZjjDkafpjfkjkH=

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I get them from justlenses.com the service is good.

Even after paying import duty and postage the prices are very good compared to those in .ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

There's plenty of brands there and they're good value.

From ordering off them 7-8 times, I only exprienced hassle with delivery once. Guessing they got picked up by customs. I sent them an e-mail anyway about the lack of delivery and they sent another set without extra cost which I did receive ;-)

I use aclens, it's usually $108 for six months worth. They post them from sweden so there's no customs issues to deal with. Always a really good service.

IH77 wrote: »
    How long does delivery take?

I'd be lying if I say I remembered exactly how long they took. It's been two years since I used them, but I used to order them a month before the last batch ran out and was never disappointed.
    blah wrote: »
    I use aclens, it's usually $108 for six months worth. They post them from sweden so there's no customs issues to deal with. Always a really good service.

That's interesting. Maybe the delivery I was referring to did get lost and it wasn't customs then, cos I never received a letter from customs looking for an invoice to declare their value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

On the aclens site 1 box = 90 pairs yea?

• Advertisement

Just checked there. Unless it's otherwise stated I think it's 30 per box. The Focus Dailies which I got were 90 per box. At the moment that would equal $79/€53 for 3 months supply excl. shipping. They currently cost €90 with specsavers for the exact same brand.

I notice they've added free shipping for orders above $89 also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

blah wrote: »
    They post them from sweden so there's no customs issues to deal with.

Are you sure about that?

I got caught for customers the last time with visiondirect.com.

As aclens are the same price and actually have cheaper (but slower) shipping, I'd would be great if there was no chance of getting caught for customs, I don't see this info anywhere on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Another vote for DaySoft lenses. Mine arrived today, they took about a week to arrive, they're sent from Jersey. They come in a handy post pack that slips through the letterbox so need to be at home to get them.

They're great value and so easy to order I paid €28 for a 2 month supply. For that I got 4 boxes of 32 lenses, or 64 pairs of lenes, or 128 individual lenses. That works out at just 22c per lens, including delivery. I haven't seen better value anywhere else and they work straight out of the box, so comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭nome

on the list where they ask you to input what your wearing now so they can recomend the right lens, they have 7 different specsavers lenses but they recomend the same lens for all of them,

this is not possible as each type of lens has different qualities and properties, i know they explain about them being uni-fit to fit everyone, but this is not the only thing taken into consideration when opticians are recomending lenses, there also water content of the lenses and wearable times, these make the lenses more comfortable for the wearer and allow them to extend the wearing time by chosing a different lens.

the specsavers easyvision one day feels alot different to the easyvision one day elite, especially to someone who maybe prone to dryeye

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I'm looking at getting the latest daily lenses Acuvue Trueye from the contactlensshop.com. From the UK for a 3 month supply it will be approx. €136 incl shipping. They are €62/month here direct debit. Saving of about €50. Do I have to pay customs on this and if so roughly how much should I expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Are trueeye available in Ireland? Where? Me want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

nome wrote: »
    on the list where they ask you to input what your wearing now so they can recomend the right lens, they have 7 different specsavers lenses but they recomend the same lens for all of them,

this is not possible as each type of lens has different qualities and properties, i know they explain about them being uni-fit to fit everyone, but this is not the only thing taken into consideration when opticians are recomending lenses, there also water content of the lenses and wearable times, these make the lenses more comfortable for the wearer and allow them to extend the wearing time by chosing a different lens.

the specsavers easyvision one day feels alot different to the easyvision one day elite, especially to someone who maybe prone to dryeye

I understand your concern but I think that applies to all contact lenses wearers who are considering changing brand. There's never going to be an exact match for your current lens from every manufacturer. What Daysoft are recommending are their nearest equivalent lens.

I think the contact lens wearer themselves are best placed to judge whether a particular lens type suits them or not. Daysoft have a money-back guarantee if you're not satified with the comfort or vision. So you can order in confidence: http://www.daysoftlenses.com/IE/Returns.aspx

Advertisement