Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leafy greens in Dublin city centre?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,

I can't seem to find kale, Swiss chard or collard greens in Dublin city centre. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

T.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gator Dunn

I was wondering the same thing ! Just moved to town last week and am looking for anything other than iceberg lettuce wrapped in plastic. Ideally some Batavia, or Romaine, or something ! Anybody know ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've only gotten kale recently through our organic box scheme, though they might have some in Fallon & Byrne? They often have things other shops wouldn't. Or maybe the weird Asian market place on Mary Street might have some, they also often do out of the ordinary veg.

You can get Romaine lettuce in M&S and usually Little Gems and some of the others that I don't know the names off the top of my head - that red floppy lettuce for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gator Dunn

Good to know, thanks !

What is this box scheme that you speak of.. ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We get stuff from Home Organics. I share a bag of mixed fruit and veg with my mum and she also gets eggs from them to.

http://www.homeorganics.ie/

There are other places that do something similar, I think there may even be a listing of all the guys who do it somewhere.... Found it! http://www.sustainable.ie/directory/subcategory.php?id=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cheesemonger

Thanks tSubh. I've been looking into these box schemes before, but what puts me off is that apparently there's no telling what type of vegetable you're going to get delivered - the company selects them for you from a broad range of seasonal vegetables. What I was looking for is a shop to walk in, buy kale, leave. I was at Fallon and Byrne's last weekend, they had a variety of interesting looking greens, no kale/chard/collard greens unfortunately, but some bok choy. Will have a look at Asian markets. I'm just wondering why kale is so hard to find - I thought it was a traditional Irish vegetable (colcannon!).

Thanks for all your replies,

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 wobbelyheadbob

anyone ever have any luck finding kale in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Kale isn't really in season at the moment, more of an autumn/winter veg. Goes yellow too easily this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wobbelyheadbob

Thanks man didnt realise its not available this time of year

found an irish website that says they stock it if anyone else is lookin www.absolutelyorganic.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

found an irish website that says they stock it if anyone else is lookin www.absolutelyorganic.ie/

Kale is only listed as part of a juicing box deal on that site. Scary the prices in the main section. 2.25 for one head of butterhead lettuce, I can buy a box of 12 conventional grown lettuce for practically that price. I know organic produce should have a decent mark up but some of the produce on that site is way over priced. It just makes organic an elitist ideal rather than a choice for a large section of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yep, I pick it up most weeks in the Dublin Food Co op in Newmarket. Open Thursday afternoon and Saturdays. Bought swiss chard there the other week too.

They also do great mixed salad leaves with all kinds of flavourful and colourful leaves in too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 kirw2n

Kale is in season right now. At Temple Bar market on Saturdays, along with Chard, many types of lettuce and dozens of types of greens.

Try mcNally's family farm stand, all grown in Dublin. And really cheap too.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pink Lady Clean

Just check out these markets and you will be amazed at the following they have.

My personal favorite is the Green Door market (a lot of the stalls there are strictly organic) just up from the Co-op Market 12 Newmarket, Merchants Quay, Dublin 8, D08 P3Y2
    These Markets are not open every day just Thursday and Saturday although someone told me The Co-Op is now open on a Sunday!! You need to go early as the best stuff is gone very quickly. They sell super things like organic Wheat Grass and they have Sprouted seeds which you can buy by the tray instead of a plastic bag. I hope this is of some help to new people finding their way around Dublin.

Dublin Food Coop
    The Green Door Market
    Irish Farmers Markets
    Irish Village Markets
    Mercados in Temple Bar
    Super Natural

• Registered Users Posts: 13,397 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just check out these markets and you will be amazed at the following they have.

I'm sure they got sorted in the intervening eight years.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm sure they got sorted in the intervening eight years.

They might have got scurvy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: This thread really is too old to resurrect so I'll close it. Nowadays region-specific threads tend to do better in the relevant Regional forums, unless they're about something specifically "foodie".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement